PAHWM: Dave wonders if he knows how to even play poker edition (1 Viewer)

dpeks13

Flush
Reaction score
South Jersey, but Central Jersey at heart
Tournament play, 3 tables left, nowhere near the bubble:

Blinds 1,000-2,000

I'm currently at 78K, 7 Handed I'm the SB.

2 Limpers ahead of me. Look down and see :jc::jh:
Raise to 6K, BB folds, 1 Limper calls. Heads up.

Opponent started the hand with 65K. I'd categorize him as an aggressive player, towards the looser side.

Flop: :6s::js::9d:

What's the bet?

I’d say your hand needs protection from straights and flushes. I’d bet on the larger side, maybe pot or over pot, then proceed with caution on subsequent cards.

That's a sticky individual you're dealing with there. Keep a note for next time you come up against that player. You'll get it back and then some when you've got the goods.

It's best to get the money in when you're ahead especially on a double suited board like this rather than see a card you hate on the river for the rest of your stack.

Damn would it kill you give us slow readers a chance at giving our bad advice!

Since you labeled him as an aggressive player and this board being so wet, I would take the chance and check raise big on the flop.. then put my head down like I'm playing :tup:up 7up pretending to look nervous. That's how you do it baby.

That's a sticky individual you're dealing with there. Keep a note for next time you come up against that player. You'll get it back and then some when you've got the goods.

It's best to get the money in when you're ahead especially on a double suited board like this rather than see a card you hate on the river for the rest of your stack.
This is all we can hope to do as poker players, IMHO.

with 2 limpees, I’d have raised more pre, maybe to like 9 or 10k. As played, I like the c-bet line on the flop. On the turn, if he’s as aggressive as you say, I don’t hate a check-jam line. If he doesn’t take the bait, and a spade comes on the river, you can just check call, without fully doubling him up.

Haven't Read the spoiler, so I am coming in cold, even though I suspect this is a bad beat story in the strategy thread.

Tournament play, 3 tables left, nowhere near the bubble:

Blinds 1,000-2,000

I'm currently at 78K, 7 Handed I'm the SB.

2 Limpers ahead of me. Look down and see :jc::jh:
Raise to 6K, BB folds, 1 Limper calls. Heads up.
I would maybe size this up a little with two limpers in already. I don't think 8K-10K would be out of line here over two limpers. Raising to just 6K lays a pretty good price to either limper and the BB. These players just need to call 4K in a pot that will have at least 13K in it. I'm actually surprised you only got one caller at this point.

Unless you have reason to believe either limp is a trap, I would have gone bigger. Going 10K means villians now have to call 8K more in a pot that will have 17K in it. This lays villains' closer to 2:1 instead of better than 3:1.

Opponent started the hand with 65K. I'd categorize him as an aggressive player, towards the looser side.

Flop: :6s::js::9d:

What's the bet?

Well there's 13K in the pot and a loose opponent and you are in position (assuming the limper checked) I think you need to go at least 3/4 pot here. A loose villain can call with a lot, go for a big number. Lots of overcard hands, spade draw hands, and straight draw hands that you don't want to let hit for free. So I think at least 10K here with a loose villain.

I bet 12,000, he thinks and eventually calls.
Turn: :2d:

So you went even more, awesome. Caught a safe turn and there's now 37k in the pot. Villian should have roughly 47K left after putting 18K in on the first two streets. So I think you can play for stacks now, or go for a smaller bet. The issue with the latter strategy is it gets sticky if villain calls and a scare card hits. (I think being check called twice would scream spades here.) But then again, 3/4 of the time you are fine.

This is where I went wrong. I bet 25K, he called. Rivered a spade.

:

So what was the action on the river after the spade hit? Did all the chips go in. It's a tough laydown being at the top of the non-flush range for sure.

He is my point of view, the aim of the game is to make you Villain have to make hard choices that is where they make mistakes.

We want a bigger bet preflop based on two limpers.

On turn there are two things to do here, check-jam is a fun one and full value if he calls with smaller set or two pair.
Raise... Pot is 6+6+2+2 correct? so 14k in pot, 12k is fine but if we think about it. Hands that we have beat, lower sets, two pairs and maybe big pocket pairs will most likley all call 14-15k as well. If he has a draw here, spades or open ended he might call also and we are ahead there.

When that spade hits on the river, how often are you getting called with worse and how often are you beat? Two pairs, and overpairs are not calling, sets unlikley, most all flushes are calling and some straights, both have you beat (depends on what spade hit). Are you betting hoping for a fold? What is the aim of the river bet?

Yeah I should have ripped it on the turn. I’ve been trying to work on extracting as much as possible in continuation bets, and got too fancy. 50k raises into 10k pots from now on! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
To be honest, ripping it on the turn may not make villain fold. Villain has a gutshot and a flush draw and may well find a call. Sometimes two players just get the money in and the deck does what the deck does.

This is where I went wrong. I bet 25K, he called. Rivered a spade.

: :4s::5s:
I wouldn’t characterize this as wrong. In the long run you want to charge flush draws here as odds are they will miss on the river. They hit they hit. Whether you get stacked after V makes their flush on the river is a different story.

Krish posted about losing a 6 digit pot after flopping top set against random garbage flush draw that got there under similar circumstances.

I enjoy playing random suited cards just to crack made hands trying to slow bet me “for value.” Doesn’t always work out of course but in the long run it’s about making more when you’re ahead and losing less when you’re behind, individual hand outcomes aside.

I wouldn’t characterize this as wrong. In the long run you want to charge flush draws here as odds are they will miss on the river. They hit they hit. Whether you get stacked after V makes their flush on the river is a different story.

Krish posted about losing a 6 digit pot after flopping top set against random garbage flush draw that got there under similar circumstances.

I enjoy playing random suited cards just to crack made hands trying to slow bet me “for value.” Doesn’t always work out of course but in the long run it’s about making more when you’re ahead and losing less when you’re behind, individual hand outcomes aside.
This.

In a tournament setting, betting 25k into a 35k pot still gave the villain ok but not great odds to call. A shove on this turn would simply make this a terrible call on villain's part. They would need to call 40k to win 115k. They need to be right over 33% of the time to make this profitable, versus calling 25k to win 85k, needing to be right 29% of the time to make it profitable.

It's a bad turn call still, but not terrible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom