PAHWM - $1/$2 in Veags (pre-covid) (1 Viewer)

Regularjohn

Straight
Reaction score
Had an interesting hand in vegas before covid that I never got around to posting. Here goes:

Player notes
  • Hero
    • Bought in for 200, sitting at about ~400 for this hand. Was down to maybe ~150 but crawled my way out. Been playing TAG, taking advantage in some spots, but making tough folds when needed. Wins were mainly from OMC / old-man-just-wanna-play-cards types.
  • V1
    • On my immediate right and he has ~500 behind. loose passive, sometimes loose aggressive. Probably played 90% of his hands. Sometimes just calling, sometimes raising. Was a talker and liked to joke, have fun, and show off. Likes to put pressure on opponents but can fold when obviously beat. Would sometimes call people to look them up. Stack was up and down because of the pure amount of hands he played, but was never lower than 400. Got sneaky with AA and min raised preflop. Raises were normal, but sometimes he'd min bet or min raise and fold to aggression. Everyone wanted to play with him because he can pay you off. At least 1 guy was strictly at the table to stack him.
  • V2
    • somewhat new at the table, seemed to play ABC, but not overly tight. Headphones in, talked to no one. Not many notes because of a) new and b) didnt play many hands

Full ring and I'm in early/middle position. Look down at :as::kh:.

Folds to V1 and he min raises to 4.

Hero?

Full ring and I'm in early/middle position. Look down at :as::kh:.
Folds to V1 and he min raises to 4.
So is it something like V1 is UTG+1 and Hero is UTG+2, and the majority of the table hasn’t acted yet?

Full ring?

I am more included to treat the min raise as a blind than true raise and the game like a shallow $2/5 game. I’d make it $15 total to go.

I’m a tournament player and my cash game bet sizings are shit. But I’ll just say that if I wanted to play this hand with that villain, I’d keep the raise on the smaller side of things.

decent amount of responses and you can only analyze pre-flop action so much.

Hero: re-raise to 12.
V2: call
V1: call

I think this is a standard re-raise situation, amount is the only variable. Not super happy about my sizing, I think the right amount was in the 15 range based on how the game was playing.

Flop:

:ah::kc::jh:

V1: check
Hero ??

decent amount of responses and you can only analyze pre-flop action so much.

Hero: re-raise to 12.
V2: call
V1: call

I think this is a standard re-raise situation, amount is the only variable. Not super happy about my sizing, I think the right amount was in the 15 range based on how the game was playing.

Flop:

Hero ??
Sizing is pretty small, what you don’t really want is V2 coming along with AKo out of position now.

Super draw heavy board that should favor your range, I’m making it about $24

Full pot sized bet, (rounding up to $40). Very wet board with lots of ways to hit it. Many pair plus a gut shot. Flush draw, made worse 2 pairs are all possible and will continue for a big bet.

Last edited:
I’m betting in the $28-$32 dollar range. You smashed this flop but it’s a super wet board. Make draws and the pair+draw type of hands pay to see the turn.

If 3-bet, evaluate the sizing and player read. I’m staying aggressive and it’s not a bad thing to take the pot down now.

Yeah a 3X reraise is way too small. You want to iso a fun player in position and should probably c-bet near 100% of flops when called

Well you have to bet. Lots of broadway hands you get value from. And anything other than broadway or a flush draw is basically going to fold to any bet. So I'd say ~60-75% pot.

You aren't really looking to play for stacks here though because there aren't many worse hands that are going to want to get it in. So I don't think you need to structure your betting with an eye toward getting all in on the river.

Flop:

:ah: :kc::jh:

Hero: bets ~35

Like most said, hit 2 pair but the board is soppin wet.

Starting to get interesting now....

V2: calls
V1: raise to 100
Hero: ??

Gross...

So he's raising with 2 other people during interest already, and he didn't raise that big given the bet size and call. You can probably rule out AA and KK as they likely 4 bet pre. So what have can V1 be raising?

JJ, AJ, KJ, QT, maaaaaaaaybe AQ or AT if he is particularly spazzy. He could even have stuff as weak as QhXh given your 3 bet size and the fact that he is playing a very high VPIP. What is important to note is he can't have the nut flush draw because you have the Kh. So he can't have some of the most likely combo draws that would do this, KhQh or KhTh. If he has what I've outlined, except no AT, then you are 54% against that range. And you still have the other player to contend with. But he likely doesn't have a big hand (unless he's slow playing QT specifically) since he didn't raise.

This is pretty close. Assuming V1 has a reasonable raising range here, we are ahead, but it isn't by much. We obviously have enough equity to continue, but should we just get it in now or call and see what V2 does and/or see a safe turn?

My gut is to just call. If V2 jams we fold. If V2 calls or folds we get to see what V1 does on the turn and a make a decision from there.

First I puke, then call. Your read on V2 makes the decision to call much easier.

Tough spot, but you can’t fold such a strong hand yet and if you are behind you have a few very slim outs to a full house

I’m thinking raise is the best option. If Hero calls he is inviting V2 to call as well given the good pot odds at that point.

I vote jam it in. Push out V2. V1 May have 2 pair here and is as worried about a Boardway card or a heart as much as Hero. A set of Jacks is possible, but unlikely. AJ & KJ make a lot of sense.

If Hero was heads up with V1 I would say call and see what the turn brings.

I’m thinking raise is the best option. If Hero calls he is inviting V2 to call as well given the good pot odds at that point.

I vote jam it in. Push out V2. V1 May have 2 pair here and is as worried about a Boardway card or a heart as much as Hero. A set of Jacks is possible, but unlikely. AJ & KJ make a lot of sense.

If Hero was heads up with V1 I would say call and see what the turn brings.
I think the jam is actually riskier 3 way. It shows more strength than I think it does heads up. So you really only get called by worse. The board is such that they're are a lot of bad turns though. We are likely up against someone that will call with any 2 pair here, but I'm not sold that KJ is supposed to call a jam here theoretically.

There are also more combos of QT and JJ than KJ and AJ combined given the cards we know. So on the made hand side we are beat more often than ahead.

I think the jam is actually riskier 3 way. It shows more strength than I think it does heads up. So you really only get called by worse. The board is such that they're are a lot of bad turns though. We are likely up against someone that will call with any 2 pair here, but I'm not sold that KJ is supposed to call a jam here theoretically.

There are also more combos of QT and JJ than KJ and AJ combined given the cards we know. So on the made hand side we are beat more often than ahead.

that is all true. But if we call V1 should call with all pair plus straight draw hands and any flush draw. So if the turn is any Q, J, 10, or Heart Hero is almost certainly behind and folding to any bet. I would be very happy to take this hand down right now. There is a lot of money in the pot already. If we can get both players to fold I’m happy with that result. I think if we call we lose the $100 flop call much more often. What is our plan for the turn on a blank? Do we check call a jam? Another $100 bet? Are we check folding a Broadway card that isn’t AK? What about a heart? If one does come off Hero has the nut heart redraw. If Hero is against a set Hero could have 13 outs to the nut flush or a full house.

So if we jam and are called we do have some immediate outs and some runner runner outs.

that is all true. But if we call V1 should call with all pair plus straight draw hands and any flush draw. So if the turn is any Q, J, 10, or Heart Hero is almost certainly behind and folding to any bet. I would be very happy to take this hand down right now. There is a lot of money in the pot already. If we can get both players to fold I’m happy with that result. I think if we call we lose the $100 flop call much more often. What is our plan for the turn on a blank? Do we check call a jam? Another $100 bet? Are we check folding a Broadway card that isn’t AK? What about a heart? If one does come off Hero has the nut heart redraw. If Hero is against a set Hero could have 13 outs to the nut flush or a full house.

So if we jam and are called we do have some immediate outs and some runner runner outs.
Hero is in position in V1. If turn blank call/jam against a bet. If he checks we figure out a bet size. Jamming just doesn't get us a much more value against the range on the floo. Where as calling gets value from the bluffs on the turn. We'd be pushing a small edge at best by jamming.

I don't think it's a given that a pair+draw is going to call. He can't actually have a pair + flush draw here because hero has the Kh. At best he has QhXh for gutter+fd. All other pair + draw are broadways with gutters. We'd be jamming ~290 over the 100 which is sightly over pot. Call it 580 and 290 for V1 to call. That's a call with a 12 out draw, but V1 can't really even have that many of those unless he's playing every QhXh and MAYBE some ThXh.

We have position, let's use it. Especially after hero notices V2 is going to fold.

Hero: bets ~35
V2: calls
V1: raise to 100
Hero: calls

Like @RichMahogany said, I puked first, then called. Like most of the discussion here, I was in between a jam and a call. It felt a tad spewy to jam here (at least thats how I felt in the moment). I'm putting him on JK, QT, draw or air. I'm not putting him on AA, KK, or JJ at this point. We have blockers to AA and KK (obviously not out of the question, but still slim). And the action thus far doesnt seem to jive with those hands. Min raise pre-flop UTG with any of those holdings wouldnt make sense. He did this before with AA but he was in late position. Plus, no re-re-raise pre flop. And this means he would have drilled the flop and the check raise says good hand/draw to me instead of a set. Again, this is based on how he has been playing. He liked to be sneaky, so I could have seen him just calling the flop bet if he had a set. So I make the call based on that, and let a card peel off. It helps a) I have a position on him and b) V2 is visually done with the hand.

on to the turn...

:ah::kc::jh::5s:

V1: all-in
Hero: ?? (besides puking)

Some live tells: He started to intently stare at me and talking. This wasnt exactly out of character for him, but its worth noting.

I guess his all-in here means "go away" out of fear of being overtaken.
So, a made straight with QT is out of the question and so are AA and KK, for the reasons you also explained.
My true fear is JJ.
I guess, repeat (puke and call)?

Tough spot. Not sure what the solvers would say but right play is a combo of calls and folds. Your heart blocks the flush draws which is part of the range you want to be calling against. Too many pairs plus draws out there and worse two pairs though for me to fold in this spot, even though the live tells is a bit worrisome.

I can't imagine folding on this blank a turn. If he has JJ or QT, oh well. But we now have greater equity against his range if it includes the worse 2 pairs. Sigh and call.

So, a made straight with QT is out of the question
Why do you say that? I think if i has Q10 and they weren’t both hearts, I’d be jamming too, for fear of being rivered with a flush (or a boat.)

I guess his all-in here means "go away" out of fear of being overtaken.
So, a made straight with QT is out of the question and so are AA and KK, for the reasons you also explained.
My true fear is JJ.
I guess, repeat (puke and call)?
QT is certainly possible as V1 There is only a pot sized bet left. And you as V1 are against a player that should have smacked this flop. After the call of the raise on the flop, if I have QT, this is the easiest jam ever. Does your opponent ever fold 2 pair or a set?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom