Cash Game Our cash game group embraces circus games now!

DoubleEagle

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until about one year ago, we were an all hold'em, all the time group. I was getting bored playing just hold'em and was able to get them to try adding Omaha 8 and Crazy Pineapple to the mix. Now, they have come full circle. We play $1/2 NL dealer's choice, with one full round of the game selected. Last night in our cash game, we never played regular NLHE a single time. The players that like Hold'em now prefer Double Board Hold'em.

Games included are:

• Hold'em
  • Double Board Hold'em
  • Crazy Pineapple
  • Double Board Crazy Pineapple
  • Omaha
  • Double Board Omaha
  • Omaha 8
  • Big O (we play 9-handed by not burning before the turn and the river)
  • SOHE (when we get down to seven players)

Wow! Cash game nights are so much more fun now! We have had a little push-back from a couple of players, but our games fill up including a wait list within minutes of being announced in our text group.

Legend5555

Flush
Reaction score
Until about one year ago, we were an all hold'em, all the time group. I was getting bored playing just hold'em and was able to get them to try adding Omaha 8 and Crazy Pineapple to the mix. Now, they have come full circle. We play $1/2 NL dealer's choice, with one full round of the game selected. Last night in our cash game, we never played regular NLHE a single time. The players that like Hold'em now prefer Double Board Hold'em.

Games included are:

• Hold'em
  • Double Board Hold'em
  • Crazy Pineapple
  • Double Board Crazy Pineapple
  • Omaha
  • Double Board Omaha
  • Omaha 8
  • Big O (we play 9-handed by not burning before the turn and the river)
  • SOHE (when we get down to seven players)

Wow! Cash game nights are so much more fun now! We have had a little push-back from a couple of players, but our games fill up including a wait list within minutes of being announced in our text group.
You play all those NL? YIKES!

TheBigTater

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Embrace the circus games, just don't go super overboard. Some circus game are just a ridiculous mishmash of games sometimes invented by board people and aren't really poker per se' more like bingo at time. But playing NLHE constantly is just boring as hell.

DoubleEagle

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You play all those NL? YIKES!
Trying pot-limit will be the next step. But for now, no-limit is working well. There are a couple of players that will open for a bet of $20 sometimes, but not often. After that, the game doesn't play much differently than pot-limit would.

Legend5555

Flush
Reaction score
Trying pot-limit will be the next step. But for now, no-limit is working well. There are a couple of players that will open for a bet of $20 sometimes, but not often. After that, the game doesn't play much differently than pot-limit would.
Of course I'm also speaking as a person that prefers to play circus and split pot games as limit games. I just find as the equities of starting hands start to run closer, the more I'd prefer to play the game limit than PL or NL. Otherwise it's just feels like too much gamble. Money just moves around a lot between people that have a decent idea of what they are doing.

DoubleEagle

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course I'm also speaking as a person that prefers to play circus and split pot games as limit games. I just find as the equities of starting hands start to run closer, the more I'd prefer to play the game limit than PL or NL. Otherwise it's just feels like too much gamble. Money just moves around a lot between people that have a decent idea of what they are doing.
Our group likes to play big pots so it works well for us.

Coyote

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try adding 3-hand HE to the rotation. It plays very well with a NLHE crew
Indeed. (Plain) Pineapple, Crazy Pineapple, Tight Pineapple and 3-card Omaha are quite nice, and not super-volatile. Can still be played NL.
I wouldn't say the same of Super Hold'em (three fully useable hole cards) unless the useable hole cards are also minimum 2 and / or the board is reduced to 4 cards.

FordPickup92

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We like thermonuclear atomic pineapple, scarney, and scrotum! Finally enjoying a few circus games. Glad to hear your group has taken to it well, sure spices things up!

Last edited:
Top Bottom