Opening a Card Room in Texas! (1 Viewer)

Starbucks brands its stores “Starbucks coffee”
Apple founded as “apple computer company”
Tesla was “Tesla Motors” until 2017

Id strongly consider putting the word “poker” somewhere in the name so people know what they just drove by
In the mock-ups I shared earlier in the thread, you can see the official name was always “Noblemen’s Lounge & Cardroom.” I just call it Noblemen’s because that’s the short way I hear it in my head.

Starbucks brands its stores “Starbucks coffee”
Apple founded as “apple computer company”
Tesla was “Tesla Motors” until 2017

Id strongly consider putting the word “poker” somewhere in the name so people know what they just drove by
Poker for sure “Gaming” has a new meaning now.

But Noblemen has the potential for “let’s go to Nobles” so that’s good.

But in actuality they are going to say “let’s go to that card room in the mall where Blockbuster used to be, you know over on 38th”

But Noblemen has the potential for “let’s go to Nobles” so that’s good.
Hey not to tell OP what to name his business, but that's a great name especially if you are optimizing for letter count which OP is concerned about. (It also de-genders it if you're into that kind of thing.)

Check out Kings Dining & Entertainment as a benchmark. Notice that they include their offerings in their name even though every local knows what they do.

Good luck!

Here is a question I particularly would love to get feedback on. One of my biggest concerns is not having enough bank initially for one random night that just gets out of hand nutty or @Goldfish and @Windwalker get lost on their way home and walk into the place.

With the expectation of averaging 3-4 tables coming much later (like months/years) rather than sooner, how many chips should I buy, including denomination count?

One reality with chip buying is people LOVE $5’s (for $1/$2 games). For that reason, I’ll need to purchase a substantial quantity of $5 so my chip costs will be high because of the sheer quantity of chips.

Out of an abundance of caution, I would be hesitant to purchase outrageous amounts of higher denomination chips for a game that will almost certainly never happen. The risk (both initial and future liability) seems out of line with the reward.

Keep in mind, this is Texas. If you try to think of a table of 9 players in a $1/$2 game having 200 BB or a little more, you’re way off.

Every time I play at Rounders $1/$2 game, and I have hundreds of hours played, there is almost always 2-3 players with $2k-$5k sitting there getting absolutely shit housed and having the time of their life.

Are you looking at the following denominations:

$1
$5
$25
$100
$500
$1000

Do you plan on having any higher denominational chips?

Tournament chips are a thought as well if you are planning any tournaments. Those chips would be much easier to figure out based on your tournament structures as well.

Hey not to tell OP what to name his business, but that's a great name especially if you are optimizing for letter count which OP is concerned about. (It also de-genders it if you're into that kind of thing.)

Check out Kings Dining & Entertainment as a benchmark. Notice that they include their offerings in their name even though every local knows what they do.

Good luck!
As a business owner, de-gendering is +EV. Anything to encourage an already unrepresented half of potential customers to spend their money with you just makes sense.

Are you looking at the following denominations:

$1
$5
$25
$100
$500
$1000

Do you plan on having any higher denominational chips?

Tournament chips are a thought as well if you are planning any tournaments. Those chips would be much easier to figure out based on your tournament structures as well.
Correct!

Here is a question I particularly would love to get feedback on. One of my biggest concerns is not having enough bank initially for one random night that just gets out of hand nutty or @Goldfish and @Windwalker get lost on their way home and walk into the place.

With the expectation of averaging 3-4 tables coming much later (like months/years) rather than sooner, how many chips should I buy, including denomination count?

One reality with chip buying is people LOVE $5’s (for $1/$2 games). For that reason, I’ll need to purchase a substantial quantity of $5 so my chip costs will be high because of the sheer quantity of chips.

Out of an abundance of caution, I would be hesitant to purchase outrageous amounts of higher denomination chips for a game that will almost certainly never happen. The risk (both initial and future liability) seems out of line with the reward.

Keep in mind, this is Texas. If you try to think of a table of 9 players in a $1/$2 game having 200 BB or a little more, you’re way off.

Every time I play at Rounders $1/$2 game, and I have hundreds of hours played, there is almost always 2-3 players with $2k-$5k sitting there getting absolutely shit housed and having the time of their life.
Serialized plaques for the $5000 and up, maybe the $1000 and up. Security and class

Come up with a max estimate of how much cash you expect to have in play. Then I think 25-30% of that in workhorse chips should be plenty.

So, if you figure an average max of $2000 l player, times nine players per table times five tables, you'd probably want about 5000-6000 $5 chips. Grab enough $1s for tips and blinds and then the rest in high denoms like $20s and $100s.

Stake1/22/55/10
DenomMax Buy2005001000
$1​
20​
$5​
36​
$25​
$100​
$500​
$1,000​

From there we can extrapolite by table, etc.

Then you'd obviously need to account for rebuys and new players can always get chips colored down at the table.

What stakes are you planning on playing?

Stake1/22/55/10
DenomMax Buy2005001000
$1​
20​
$5​
36​
$25​
$100​
$500​
$1,000​

From there we can extrapolite by table, etc.

Then you'd obviously need to account for rebuys and new players can always get chips colored down at the table.
Probably a little padding for lost, taken home, or harvested chips too. Any previews on the chip design? Or is that a security thing at the moment?

You need chips to support peak table, not average table. How many tables do you have that could be running on a weekend evening?

I’d get minimum 1000 chips per table (peak not average):
200x$1, 500x$5, 200x $25, 100x $100

Automatic card shufflers built into every table for ~10+ hands per hour.
I’m sure you know the market better than me, but this was a recent spate of mistrust/distrust of automatic shufflers in Texas clubs. The good ones have the capability of stacking decks, and without state regulation, there’s nothing to keep it from happening. Whether it’s really happening or just some imagined excuse for bad beats, it seems to be an actual concern among players.

I'm not really understanding the branding images you showed. The stylized "nobleman" image is going to be a terrible print image, and won't size well, and you also have a secondary image on the website header that shows the silhouette of noblemen, but you aren't using it for your actual logo? Either stick with the crown or go back to the drawing board.

879002CC-A196-4C1B-9E55-41937AAD1E19.gif

I'm not really understanding the branding images you showed. The stylized "nobleman" image is going to be a terrible print image, and won't size well, and you also have a secondary image on the website header that shows the silhouette of noblemen, but you aren't using it for your actual logo? Either stick with the crown or go back to the drawing board.
That’s just random stuff I used during my presentations to give the investors some kind of idea for what I was thinking. None of that material is the final product.

You should get enough chips to accommodate any size game. IMO hosting higher stakes action games attracts the lower stakes players. It’s the allure of action. Don’t be caught short on chips! I have seen plenty of 5/5/25 games blow through racks of $500s and/or $1ks ( and get into the $5ks). what if you u get 2 tables rolling? when ur room gets traction, the higher stakes players are going to come around. In the scheme of things, it will not cost much more to get a few racks of $500s, $1ks and $5ks when buying ur set of chips. And for heaven sake, get 43 mm hi denomination chips. Buy MOAR chips!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom