Oil Painting or Print? (1 Viewer)

AK Chip

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Any art enthusiasts on the forum?

I won a bid on a print from a famous Alaskan artist, I picked it up from the auction house but when I started looking at the print, I can feel raised paint on the signature and other prominent features of the painting. Can prints duplicate the 3-D of an oil painting?
IMG_2565.jpeg

No. But there are such things as prints that have been augmented with oil or acrylic And of course, there are prints that have been signed after printing...
Yup. They will print it out, and paint a layer on it to give it an original texture of paint. I've seen it before.

Zero way I can tell tho if I'm there in person.

(Who would have thought a oil painting degree would help on PCF...)

Yup. They will print it out, and paint a layer on it to give it an original texture of paint. I've seen it before.

Zero way I can tell tho if I'm there in person.

(Who would have thought a oil painting degree would help on PCF...)
Ive read where they put a coating on it with a brush to give it brush stroke texture.

For what paid it has to be a print but it’s weird to be able to feel the changes from water mountains and the boat.

Ive read where they put a coating on it with a brush to give it brush stroke texture.

For what paid it has to be a print but it’s weird to be able to feel the changes from water mountains and the boat.
The thicker and more layers it seems to have, the more at likely it was painted. But it's not easy to pick out virtually

$40 seems like a good deal for just the frame!

Can you tell whether it's printed/painted on paper or canvas?
Canvas for sure, at first that’s what I thought I was feeling until I spent a bit more time trying to feel bumps at certain areas.

If you can take it out of the frame you might be able to tell more by looking at the sides of the canvas.

I’m pretty sure it is one of several Sydney Laurence prints that a local bank had made in 1978.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom