Official PCF Model Train Thread (2 Viewers)

Got the DigiTrax and JMRI setup in about 20 mins on a test track. Programmed a non-DigiTrax decoder and using an app on my phone. Works great.

PXL_20220515_155304690.jpg

2022-05-15_11-54-56.jpg

To my fellow model train nerds: any recommendations on a forum or starting point to learn about the various new digital control systems? I've been running Lionel trains for 35+ years on the older basic transformers. IE these things:

1659813857152.png

1659813842138.png

The kids are getting older and less interested, so I'd like to start getting some of my own stuff. We went to a train show today to look around, most of the engines I really liked were MTH with a ton of bells and whistles.

20220806_115820.jpg

I think I'm at the point where I have to upgrade lol. I have zero knowledge about the new control systems, terms like DCS/TMMC/LEGACY/DCC are another language at this point. I don't mind taking the time to read on everything to learn, just looking for a good starting point. My current setup is all O scale and I have a bunch of Lionel fastrack & switches, mostly Lionel and K-Line engines and rolling stock - I'd prefer to keep as much of that as possible.

Trains are too slow for my liking. I'm more of a slot car type of person. Maybe someone should start a thread for that as well?
I haven't dragged out my slot stuff in 14-15 years (about the time I got into tournament poker and hard-core chipping), but I was pretty deep into HO scale slot car racing since about age 10 (growing up in Indy, life was always about speed). There were three time periods when I was heavily involved in HO racing -- ages 10-15, 30-35, and 45-53.

My interest covered just about everything -- vintage slot cars from my youth, running stock off-the-shelf cars up to full-on unlimited modified rail rockets (you want fast? Nothing faster), custom-molded and hand-painted lexan bodies, track layout design, competing in concours events and in local, regional, and national racing series.

Before I last stepped away, I was pretty good friends with several major manufacturers of high-end HO scale cars and parts. I was always a better builder than driver, and thus headed up several competitive racing teams over the years. I was a longtime UFHORA and HOPRA member (HO Professional Racing Association), and I do hold one national race record (fastest lap time on the world's longest HO track).

I haven't looked recently, but there used to be several HO racing online forums.

These WAGO 221s are nice. Going to use them for connecting my feeders to the main bus.

PXL_20221006_134947729.jpg

To my fellow model train nerds: any recommendations on a forum or starting point to learn about the various new digital control systems? I've been running Lionel trains for 35+ years on the older basic transformers. IE these things:

View attachment 962484

View attachment 962483

The kids are getting older and less interested, so I'd like to start getting some of my own stuff. We went to a train show today to look around, most of the engines I really liked were MTH with a ton of bells and whistles.

View attachment 962513

I think I'm at the point where I have to upgrade lol. I have zero knowledge about the new control systems, terms like DCS/TMMC/LEGACY/DCC are another language at this point. I don't mind taking the time to read on everything to learn, just looking for a good starting point. My current setup is all O scale and I have a bunch of Lionel fastrack & switches, mostly Lionel and K-Line engines and rolling stock - I'd prefer to keep as much of that as possible.
It’s been a while, so I’m probably not the best source. I have an O gauge Lionel and MTH set that I break out for Christmas. I ran into the issue with controllers as well. I can control go, stop, reverse with the old school Lionel for both (IRCC), but have to use the Lionel or MTH to get all the features to work (sound, smoke, decouple, etc) for each of them. I use banana plugs so I can swap the controllers easily.

I think Legacy means backward compatible for basic features (I think that’s a Lionel thing, but not sure). My MTH has DCS and it’s to control all the sounds, (protosounds etc) which are the whistle, bells, engine, dialogue, etc.

TMMC is Lionel’s version of DCS. I think Lionel might have a newer version out now.

Then I think there is something that allows you to control multiple engines on a single track, etc., which is way out of my league - lol.

From what I recall, MTH controllers won’t work for Lionel features and vice versa. They don’t play nice together in the sandbox - lol.

I ended up buying beef’ier x-formers because I have a decent size set up (I bought a lot of extra track to add on). I got the x-formers at train shows, and my local shop when I was in VA sold me the nicer MTH controller from a set he broke apart. My Lionel x-formers are pretty basic, my MTH has a remote control that I use - lol.

It’s been a good minute since I bought all this stuff, but seemed to recall MTH was offering a bit more for the $$. I run my MTH set way more then the Lionel, personally. But in all fairness, my MTH set is a way nicer set up and my Lionel is more entry level.

90% done with the benchwork. I'm probably going to cut a sheet of Masonite into 4" strips to use as a facia.

PXL_20221101_023532351.jpg

PXL_20221101_023540978.jpg

It's not nearly as sexy and sophisticated as most of gear posted here, but here's my holiday setup this year. I was hoping to pick up a new MTH engine and DCS, but it wasn't in the cards this year. Scenery theme is Star Wars :)

20221203_125527.jpg

My favorite engine (NYC Hudson) came out of the box dead this season, I have figure out if its worth trying to fix/upgrade.

20221203_125714.jpg

My favorite engine (NYC Hudson) came out of the box dead this season, I have figure out if its worth trying to fix/upgrade.

View attachment 1033785

Took this bugger completely apart, cleaned and oiled everything and checked all the connections.

20221211_144544.jpg
20221211_150156.jpg
20221211_150741.jpg
20221211_170438.jpg

Also added a couple of power bus lines and feeder drops around the larger loop to better distribute power. She runs like a champ now!

20221225_134658.jpg

@Tommy @Irish

We’ve talked about it. Here it is. What could be more sick than grown men paying thousands for little clay discs? How about toy trains?

I went dormant in this hobby when I left the USA. I Did have a full NTRAK layout while in Saudi. Now I’m back and have the itch. There is a butt load of stuff hidden away that I’ve been busting out. I only do N scale but it’s all good. Who else has this sickness as well?

View attachment 907095
Stop by the railroad in Scottsdale next time you’re here. They have hundreds of model railroad trains and a lot of different gauge track. I’m not a hobbyist and even I thought it was pretty cool.

https://www.therailroadpark.com/

Stop by the railroad in Scottsdale next time you’re here. They have hundreds of model railroad trains and a lot of different gauge track. I’m not a hobbyist and even I thought it was pretty cool.

https://www.therailroadpark.com/
I used to be a member of the N Scale club there. Sun N Sand NTRAK. That place rocks.

Took a little break from the build. Got the lift up bridge fitted in place with clamps. It will have 4 tracks going across. I cut the bench work lower on purpose so I can use another crossmember to fine tune height before screwing them in. I'll be wiring in micro switches on both ends that will kill power to the tracks for the approach block circuits if the bridge is up. The tracks on the bridge will be powered from the same microswitches on the hinge side with a small wire loop so the lift up section can open and close without pulling on any wires. I plan on wiring the entire layout with block detection, transponding, and prototypical signals. It amazes me how far the hobby has come since I was a kid running trains with a DC power pack.

Blum 155 degree zero protrusion soft close hinges.
PXL_20221227_234926372.jpg

PXL_20221227_234932375.jpg

The bridge section is a pine stair tread that I cut down and ran through the planer to get the thickness down to 3/4".
PXL_20221227_234943345.jpg

If your train falls of the track, pick it up.... pick it up... pick it up!

Black Sheep

I really need help. Never thought I'd be running in 1/4" x 2.5" power lags in my finished basement walls. Everything was free standing benchwork until now.

PXL_20230411_185226204.jpg
PXL_20230411_185232845.jpg
PXL_20230411_185259237.jpg

The final product is going to be crazy with all the framework you are laying out. I remember going to a neighbor's house 15 years ago who had two upstairs bedrooms dedicated to a detailed multi-track train set-up with scenery. Should be a fun project with the kids for years to come.

Making my way around the room. The narrow section that will be behind the couch is 8" wide. No way to get a driver in there to do pocket screws on both sides so I just glued the front section and shot in some crown staples. I thought I would have to put some bracing under the 16" wide sections, but they are sold and have zero flex. It looks much cleaner without legs or angle bracing.

PXL_20230414_155521111.jpg

PXL_20230414_155537337.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom