Official 2023 Custom Chip Set HOF Voting Thread (1 Viewer)

Pick the sets you think deserve to be in the 2023 HOF

• The Bone Yard

Votes: 68 43.9%
  • The Canoe Club

Votes: 36 23.2%
  • Chessie's Cove

Votes: 34 21.9%
  • Le Gold Luxury Hotel & Resort

Votes: 69 44.5%
  • The Poker Lab

Votes: 68 43.9%
  • Willie's Treasure Trove

Votes: 45 29.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is gunna be a close one :wow:

Llizzy was Lloyd's apprentice. Now she don't take shit from nobody. Llizzy loves Le Gold chips and chooses them. Be like Llizzy.

Screenshot_20231221_213617_Dropbox.jpg

1703360513092.png

the community has spoken, an determined that @LeGold has a very nice set.

Congrats to new HOF members @liftapint and @Hornet, as well as all of the other nominees. The voting was a nice turnout, and I think the closeness of the voting goes to show what a great job the committee did in selecting this years nominees.

Last edited:
Congrats !
So that means 3 sets in the 2023 HOF right ?

Last edited:
Congratulations to all those who were nominated this year, thank you so much for sharing your custom creations with PCF. Also a big thank you to the HOF committee members - @Chippy McChiperson @JeepologyOffroad @Sprouty @MarquetteMonkey - for your time and thoughts in whittling down a very stacked field of contenders, it's no small task.

Given the tie for second place in the final voting, the committee has unanimously agreed to add a third set this year.

I’m pleased to announce the PCF Custom Chip Set Hall of Fame class of 2023:
These sets will be added to the HOF Resource in the coming weeks.

I would also like to take this opportunity to introduce next year's HOF committee:
@MarquetteMonkey (chair)
@Chippy McChiperson
@JeepologyOffroad
@krafticus
@cpac54
@wonderpuddle

Congrats to all inducted this year — thoroughly deserved.

Have you ever thought of narrowing it down to one vote per person, out of interest, @Irish?
Radical idea. We vote for the committee members instead and then let them decide who makes it into the HOF. That way the vote cant be hijacked by whomever knows the most people on PCF. Also should be certain criteria to be eligible to be on the committee.

Radical idea. We vote for the committee members instead and then let them decide who makes it into the HOF. That way the vote cant be hijacked by whomever knows the most people on PCF. Also should be certain criteria to be eligible to be on the committee.
I like the thought, but then you get the “good old boy” system of whom gets picked. Unfortunately, this is, and always has been, a popularity contest of members rather than chips.

This isn’t a dig at the committee at all. I appreciate what they do. The system just reminds me of when the popular members post in the classifieds. There’s more fluff in those sales than what’s at a pr0n convention.

Bring out the pitchforks!

Oh, and @CraigT78, it’s great we agree on something!! There is hope!

I like the thought, but then you get the “good old boy” system of whom gets picked. Unfortunately, this is, and always has been, a popularity contest of members rather than chips.

This isn’t a dig at the committee at all. I appreciate what they do. The system just reminds me of when the popular members post in the classifieds. There’s more fluff in those sales than what’s at a pr0n convention.

Can't separate the two, unfortunately. This isn't a dig at all as I love all 3 that made the HoF and I think that those 3 are probably pretty clear favorites in my mind, but if I'm LeGold and I topped this list I'm like wow, my set beat out other amazing sets and beloved PCF chippers. Like to come in and come out on top of both extremely popular chippers alongside custom sets, that takes a badass custom.

I thought he was unfortunately going to be left in 3rd and not admitted, but I was shocked he came ahead of Poker Lab.

Great class going in this year imo, big congrats to all 3.

Have you ever thought of narrowing it down to one vote per person, out of interest, @Irish?
I personally don't like putting any restrictions on voting. There's already a bit of "this set vs that set" taken into consideration when one is voting (as you know only a certain # of sets will make it in), and I feel like further limiting that freedom will lead to frustration and loss of interest. Just my 2 cents.

The HOF system isn't perfect, but given it's ultimate purpose - to celebrate great custom sets and have some fun in doing so - imho what we have is the simplest and most reasonable system. I would love to move to an MLB style system (where you simply need to garner a certain % of votes to get in), but we would need to set that "In" percentage so ridiculously low that it's just not practical. Since the first HOF year (which was largely transferring HOF sets from the chip talk era), only four sets have garnered at least 50% of the vote. Four sets. If it was set at 75% like MLB, we wouldn't have a HOF.

There's always going to be a human element to this. Yes, those nominees from areas with lots of local PCFers, or those who get their sets in play at meetups, or those who are helpful to others and have made lots of friends are all going to have a few more votes. Thats life, not much anyone can do about that. I believe this makes the role of the committee all the more important - one of its key charges is to try and look beyond all the site bullshit and nominate the sets they feel are the most deserving, regardless of who owns them. That's been one of the big things I've stressed during my time on the committee.

And remember - this is all just meant to be a lot of chip nerd fun. There are no cash prizes or "major awards" to be collected....

a-christmas-story-leg-lamp-o.gif

Note that all of this is just my personal opinion in the matter, not necessarily the opinion of the committee - past, present or future :D

How would you go about it differently?

I don't know a soul on this forum. I am sure there can be a natural bias, but I voted for two of these three sets just on my preference. Surely not all votes were tainted by some bias.

For the record, they were all more creative and thoughtfully cohesive than anything I could come up with.
With less than 70 total votes for any one, and only 155 total voters, I guarantee you’re in the minority.

While you may not know it, we have creators on this list that are “old heads” and would make a top 5 beloved PCF member list, we have meetup hosts, folks that attend a reg home game filled with pcfers for years, etc.

It’s not negative, it’s just that you can’t possibly distinguish the chip sets from their owners, bias will come into play, and that’s okay.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom