Official 2022 Custom Chip Set HOF Voting Thread (1 Viewer)

Pick the sets you think deserve to be in the 2022 HOF

• The Ambessa Poker Room

Votes: 56 38.4%
  • Athenian Owl Club

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • Bee Room

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • Clermont Lounge

Votes: 34 23.3%
  • Lucky Dog

Votes: 21 14.4%
  • The Rainier Room

Votes: 71 48.6%
  • Scarlet's Room

Votes: 25 17.1%
  • Story Hill

Votes: 61 41.8%
  • Vesper Club

Votes: 55 37.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My votes have been cast. There are no bad sets nominated ("They're all good sets, Brant"). I chose to vote for five. Of those five, I want to give three a special mention...

Clermont Lounge - I'd like to echo @bergs comments above. These are a perfect nod to the old USPC crest and seal era of chips. While the materials and process used in creating them may be different, my god is the execution flawless. Great theme, perfect Cali color selection, and as said above, they seem to handle great (I only have my sample set to judge, tho). They are the best custom plain mold set of chips I've ever encountered.

Bee Room - Again, I think @bergs has the right of it here (I promise I'll try not to say that too much). At the time they were unveiled, The Bee Room set was a revelation. A single set with mostly simple and steady spot progression, effective use of color, and that can cover, limit, NL/PL cash, and tournaments. Even a 43mm chip is included! I forgive the $10 chip as an aberation because, at the time, I don't think most players and set builders really knew any better and many commercial sets included some kind of $10 chip. It looks like his have some use on their edges (maybe used as a fractional in low fixed limit games?). At a time when color, spot, and mold selections were all at a minimum, this set opened peoples' eyes and minds to what was possible.

Vesper Club - Not many sets are commissioned on a hope and a prayer. This is one of them, and that prayer was beautifully answered. Very few people will know how long and deeply this set was agonized over at every step and decision. Regardless of that, it is as perfect a representation of an old school spotted large crown set that can be created today. The line work is exactly what you might see on a large crown hot stamp set from the 40's. The colors are Cali-esque, which is largely appropriate for the time period and the location (early Cali clubs might have followed a general color progression but all of them did something slightly different). Many large crown sets of the period were solids, but those that had spots generally were both distinctive and simple. The reserved use of spots here is highly appropriate. And it was all designed without even knowing if the blanks could successfully be stamped. Keep in mind that CPC will not hot stamp large crowns, so that task was left to a third party which needed to experiment a bit. Ultimately that expiriment was successful, but that's also why it didn't make sense to go large with this set - if you ordered 2k blanks that couldn't be stamped, you have two thousand colorful pieces of shit. Instead, you have a perfect work of art and labor of love that is, so far as I'm aware, the only set of its kind created since the the large crown mold has been put into the mold rotation at CPC.

Mail time.

PXL_20221222_212520133.jpg

Last edited:

Let's go people, get out and vote!!!!

;)

Happy Festivus!

So many good sets, but I’m not surprised at all to see Rainier Room with most votes so far. For my money, one of the best sets done in recent years. The $20 remains one of my personal favourites - so good in stacks.

Last full day for voting! The poll closes tomorrow morning!

That Vesper Club stamp design is amazingly perfect. I mean, literally, perfect. Very possibly the greatest hot stamp design of all time, especially coupled with this specific mold.

Kudos to all involved in getting these made -- great vision, design, and execution. Perfect.
^^ My response when the Vesper Club set was first introduced to PCF two years ago.

If these don't belong in the Custom Chip HOF, nothing does.

Thanks for the impartial contribution, old man.
Saw that someone I blocked had posted in the thread. Curiosity got the better of me.

As the saying goes, @BGinGA has forgotten more about chips, their design, their history and other information related to the hobby than you or I will ever know. Unlike some here (ahem) his opinion and input carry gravitas and are respected, as I know he doesn’t dole out compliments simply as platitudes, but only unless he means it. Because of this, I distinctly remember when he posted the above in my unveiling thread…it was one of the nicest—and most meaningful—compliments I’ve ever received.

Thank you for reminding me why I put you on ignore years ago.

I didn’t make the top three, but I was honored to be nominated.

Congrats to all of the inductees! I hope the committee makes an exception and the Vespers get in. Literally missed by one vote. I thought every single set up for nomination this year should have gotten in. That's why I'll never want to be on this committee lol

Thank you to everyone who participated in this year's HOF process, from the initial stump thread to the final voting! Congratulations to all those who were nominated and thank you for providing such excellent write-ups & photos of your custom creations. And an extra special thank you to all of the committee members - @Rhodeman77, @Thomacetti, @Chippy McChiperson @Jeff @JeepologyOffroad- for your work and dedication this year!

Without further ado, I’m pleased to announce the PCF Custom Chip Set Hall of Fame class of 2022:

I would also like to take this opportunity to introduce next year's HOF committee:
@Irish (Matt) - chair
@Thomacetti (Thomas)
@Chippy McChiperson (Bill)
@JeepologyOffroad (John)
@Sprouty (Bryan)
@MarquetteMonkey (Andy)

Thank you to everyone who participated in this year's HOF process, from the initial stump thread to the final voting! Congratulations to all those who were nominated and thank you for providing such excellent write-ups & photos of your custom creations. And an extra special thank you to all of the committee members - @Rhodeman77, @Thomacetti, @Chippy McChiperson @Jeff @JeepologyOffroad- for your work and dedication this year!

Without further ado, I’m pleased to announce the PCF Custom Chip Set Hall of Fame class of 2022:

I would also like to take this opportunity to introduce next year's HOF committee:
@Irish (Matt) - chair
@Thomacetti (Thomas)
@Chippy McChiperson (Bill)
@JeepologyOffroad (John)
@Sprouty (Bryan)
@MarquetteMonkey (Andy)
Congrats to the inductees and to everyone who had a set nominated!

Looking forward to the next couple of years. So many great sets produced during the pandemic.

Big thanks to our chair Matt @Irish
Due to personal and/or professional life, some (me incl.) members of the committee were are bit sidetracked.
You always picked up that slack and kept things going.
Members would be surprised how much “behind the scenes” work is involved…we could not have wished for a better chair and it is a pleasure ”working” with you and the other members.

Special thanks to fellow members @Jeff and @Rhodeman77 and big welcome to @Sprouty and @MarquetteMonkey

EDIT: forgot thank my fellow members that will serve at least another year @JeepologyOffroad @Chippy McChiperson

Last edited:
Congrats to the top vote-getters! Lovely sets.

It was definitely a statistical dead-heat for third, but the Ambessa's eked it out by a vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom