NexGen and NexGen Pro chips? (1 Viewer)

dannyz

High Hand
Reaction score
Was checking out the Spinnetti version Dunes chips for a low stakes cash game I host. From what I understand these are either NexGen or NexGen Pro material chips. Hoping someone can confirm. Also hoping to find out what other chips are regularly available in various denominations that are this price range and made from this material?

I would use the original stickers for now and look at custom relabeling down the road as an option to secure the game, though I understand whether that makes sense to do on lower end chips is debatable.

I’m new so I may have missed a better source for this information.

IMG_0706.png

IMG_0707.png

They are NexGen injected plastic material AFAIK, and can be very slippery.

I will suggest looking into other alternative at the 40c price point that Spinettis is selling, just too overpriced for me

Also, they Don't feel or sound like the originals as well.

1687916687404.png

I’ll buy a barrel first to try. See how they compare to what I’m used to.

They are NexGen injected plastic material AFAIK, and can be very slippery.

I will suggest looking into other alternative at the 40c price point that Spinettis is selling, just too overpriced for me

Also, they Don't feel or sound like the originals as well.

View attachment 1156334
Who else sells NexGen chips? I’m looking to see which design to go with.

So, they’re slippery like dice chips or what? I find ceramics slippery.

I bought my nexgen set in 2004... there has not really been a sale item known as Nexgen for a long time. Perhaps the last being the 9 gram "classics" though I dont know how they handle as I have only ever played with the 8000 and my 8200 series Nexgens which were the same except of colour/spots.

There were several versions 8000 (2 tone), 8100 (river chips) , 8200 (lucky bees) etc...
The main theme of the nexgen chips at the time was a plastic chip with a recessed centre while allowed you to custom label your set.

The flaw..... labels have always exceeded the cost of the chips, resulting in my set still unlabeled decades later. This is the 8200 version of the 1" recessed "Lucky Bees".

zepLnSv - Imgur.jpg

^ Those were the original Nexgen chips, 12g weighted plastics in four flavors - River Poker Tour, Las Vegas, and Lucky Bees (two versions, standard label size and oversized).

The Nexgen Pro chips came later -- 9g unslugged plastics in a variety of mold designs (but almost all using the same colors and spot patterns). Much slicker than the originals.

^ Those were the original Nexgen chips, 12g weighted plastics in four flavors - River Poker Tour, Las Vegas, and Lucky Bees (two versions, standard label size and oversized).

The Nexgen Pro chips came later -- 9g unslugged plastics in a variety of mold designs (but almost all using the same colors and spot patterns). Much slicker than the originals.

I originally had 100 but found the purple chips on Amazon in 2020, bought those then and they are made of a harder plastict han the rest of the set. Maybe time and use will soften them up to be comparable with the others....of note is that there may be different material versions of lucky bees out there. The rest of my nexgen chips are nice soft buttery plastic.

I figure unless I go full custom, I can't ensure security. My strategy anyway is knowing the people I invited over to play, and the fact that we are playing for at most $100 any given night. Of course things can change, but I'm here for a nice set of chips that are different than the usual. I do appreciate the link to the group buy. Looks like it closes in a couple days so I'll keep it in mind for the following ones.

Last edited:
Received 50 milano 25c chips. Came very dry, powdery, smelly, gave me a headache after 20 minutes. I thought these were going to be a complete bust and rule out any China Clays for me. tldr; smell is gone with some quick work.

I do like the feel and the fact that the inlay is not just a paper sticker. Since the inlay is "in" the chip's finish/coating, I soaked them in a mixture of Dawn and warm water, then threw them in an ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes before letting them dry. The smell is 99% gone now (replaced by a very faint dawn scent). Once they dried, I oiled them with some mineral oil (butcher block oil) and they are feeling quite nice now and no smell.

A few problems with these chips:
  1. $1 chips are out of stock everywhere I've checked, and based on threads on PCH, they've been out of stock for ~9 months or more.
  2. The edges are rounded off. I prefer a straight edge wall. I'm not sure what china clay chips come with straight walls, but I don't think there are many CCs that have the inlay in the chip. I don't think I'd like stickers because you couldn't wash them like I can these Milanos. And from what I read, the oil can get under the edges of the stickers if not careful. With the milanos, I just oiled the whole chips with my fingers and then sort of toweled them off.
  3. In my opinion, the 25c of the Milanos are very boring, ugly chips. And since I'll be doing mostly 25c/50c cash games, having a brown, drab 25c chip is a let down

Even though the label is flush with the chip, it is still a label affixed with adhesive, as opposed to a true inlay as we refer to them here on PCF.

I thought I had read that the paper is not exposed on these. They certainly don’t feel like they are.

So, they’re slippery like dice chips or what? I find ceramics slippery.
I have a set of unicorn chips. They are the same as the Nexgen Dunes. They are very slippery. If you have a stack and even bump the table lightly, they are going everywhere. And don't try to pick a whole barrel up at once by squeezing the ends

My first" good set "of chips was Nexgen in 2005. I recently got a hold of my friend. I sold them to and I'm trying to get them back. They were like 12 g and had a very soft feel to them

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom