New poker variant: White elefant, could be fun? (1 Viewer)

Santa123

Straight
Reaction score
ThIs is a game I would like to play tomorrow night. I hope its fun. What do you think?

Fixed Limit. This is a stud variant.

First round
- The dealer posts the bring in.
- Each player gets 2 cards face down.
- Betting round

Second round
- The first player left to the dealer gets one card dealt face up.
- The second player can now decide to either get dealt one card face up too OR to steal the card the first player just got. The game continues with the third player and so on.
- each player can decide to either get a card dealt face up or to steal any card face up.
- but a card can only be stealed once. Stealed cards should be marked by turning them 90 degrees.
- when every player has 3 cards the second betting round begins.

Third round
- same as second round
- but this time the first player has a decision unlike last round. He can decide if he either get a new card dealt face up or steal a card.

Fourth round
- Same as third round
- after the fourth bettig round the game ends with the showdown.

ThIs is a game I would like to play tomorrow night. I hope its fun. What do you think?

Fixed Limit. This is a stud variant.

First round
- Betting round

Second round
- The first player left to the dealer gets one card dealt face up.
- The second player can now decide to either get dealt one card face up too OR to steal the card the first player just got. The game continues with the third player and so on.
- each player can decide to either get a card dealt face up or to steal any card face up.
- but a card can only be stealed once. Stealed cards should be marked by turning them 90 degrees.

Third round
- same as second round
- but this time the first player has a decision unlike last round. He can decide if he either get a new card dealt face up or steal a card.

Fourth round
- Same as third round
Seems like a shit show, I love it. Keep us posted on how it actually plays

If a player gets a card stolen, when can he get the correct number of cards for that street? Going with the white elephant theme, I think it'll be better if he immediately gets a chance to draw/steal.

If a player gets a card stolen, when can he get the correct number of cards for that street?
Its not like the dealer is the last player to act. Its rotating until each player has the number of cards he needs for that street.

stud variant
In stud, you get 2 down and 1 up, then betting begins with the low card bringing in/completing.

First round
- Betting round

You're suggesting adding a betting round *before* 3rd street?
Second round

I assume there is a betting round after everyone has 3 cards? Still low card mandatory bringin/optional completion?

Fourth round
So 2 down cards and 4 up/stolen cards? So 6-card stud?

I think you can eliminate the betting round after the two down cards and just do the betting at the appropriate time... But there's a gimmick if stealing a card before the betting. Low bring-in/completion. And make 7th street down before final betting round/showdown.

Seems too gimmicky... Too much info when a card gets stolen/passed and your hand can get effed if you up card gets stolen.

I'd at least give it a go.

In stud, you get 2 down and 1 up, then betting begins with the low card bringing in/completing.

You're suggesting adding a betting round *before* 3rd street?
Yes. It starts off like holdem. But with a bring in which is posted by the player on the button. I know its different to stud games. But who cares ;-)
I assume there is a betting round after everyone has 3 cards? Still low card mandatory bringin/optional completion?
Yes. There is a betting round after everyone has 3 cards. And there will be a betting round after everyone has 4 cards. The last betting round is when everyone has 5 cards. After that showdown.

No bring-in. This is the second betting round already.

So 2 down cards and 4 up/stolen cards? So 6-card stud?
5 card "stud".
You get 2 holecards
and get 3 cards face up dealt or stolen.

I think you can eliminate the betting round after the two down cards and just do the betting at the appropriate time... But there's a gimmick if stealing a card before the betting. Low bring-in/completion. And make 7th street down before final betting round/showdown.

Seems too gimmicky... Too much info when a card gets stolen/passed and your hand can get effed if you up card gets stolen.

I'd at least give it a go.
Yeah. Maybe its stupid. But I want to try.

Alternative we could stop calling it a stud variant and play it with a small and a big blind. This would also simplify betting on later streets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom