Need Kitchen Cabinet Glass Replacement (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Some of our kitchen cabinets have rectangle glass panes held in place on all four sides by screw-down "clamps" (i.e. they are not glass inserts for the cabinets, instead sitting behind the wood)

One of them broke yesterday and we need to get a replacement (they are textured, not clear)

I did some google searching and found a few sites where you can custom order to spec, but the prices varied and were anywhere from $200-300 for just a single pane of glass. I feel like that's way overpriced but this isn't something I'm well-versed in. Anyone got tips on where to buy and what pricing to expect?

^^ this. I’ve done so as well and it was very reasonably priced. I’d imaging an online shop is baking in a comfortable margin for glass that arrives to customers broken, etc?

A local shop to me, checked their website and get this....

glass.png

Dang. Maybe it’s a supply issue?

It was 4-5 years ago and I don’t know the exact amount I paid, but it was definitely less than that and for a piece the size of a coffee table, not cabinet. (May even have been thicker too?!)

It looks like to me you are looking for a piece of obscure, meaning it’s got the pattern or a color in it. Some of that stuff is not made anymore or very hard to get, for example the Coke bottle style that is amber that you sometimes see in old bars and restaurants.

I only do auto glass now, but before I started my own shop I worked at a place that mostly did flat/house glass for a while about ten years ago and learned most of what I know about architectural glass from. The area I live has some very old houses with a lot of beautiful glass work using obscure glass and leaded panes. When people would need repairs on things trying to match their old stuff it could be impossible or obscenely expensive.

I'm not sure, but maybe you are trying to replace a very hard to get/obsolete piece of obscure?

For comparison, I would sell you a clear piece of annealed (non tempered) 1/8" float glass with sanded edges for about $25-$40 for that size. (just a swag, I haven't priced stock float glass cases for a while and wouldn't know how much the prices have went up exactly)

Last edited:
One more thing, your absolute best bet would be to go into a shop personally somewhere in your area with what you need and the size. And not a chain window store or something like that, pick something that looks like the buildings been around for a while and they’ve been doing it for a bit. They'll probably have it in stock in the back if it's not one of the rare types and could have it cut in a day or two and ready to pick up.

Do you know any real estate agents? Good ones will know the best and most affordable contractors for odd jobs like this, which are often necessary to do in order to close on a house (after inspection). I wanted to replace some panes in windows in my old house before I sold it. Called a local glass company, $550 was the quote. Talked to the realtor, he got me a gal who did it for $100.

The stuff you were being quoted for online looks like it’s amber which is always much more expensive than clear (could just be a stock photo, im playing outside and not really reading your whole post lol sorry ;) ). Yours looks close to an orange skin, much more common. Take a sample and the size you need into a local shop, I’ll bet it’s 60 bucks or less.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom