Need help with putting on new felt! (1 Viewer)

Waynejr83

High Hand
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg im looking for any advice on how to properly install my new speed cloth. My first attempt and after the first try I was not happy at all so removed the staples and am ready to try again. I have a racetrack table with the center piece that comes out. Is this doable by myself or do I need a second person? How tight do I have to stretch things? Any advice from people would be greatly appreciated. Here are a couple pics to see what I'm working with.

When I recovered my table (non-racetrack) I used push pins as my second set of hands. My biggest regret was not getting it tighter. There's no wrinkles or wavy spots. Just wish it was tighter.

Yea I'm gonna get it as tight as possible. A friend is supposed to be helping me so maybe that will make up the difference. Is it easier to start with the sides, then the ends?

Yes. IMHO. Even with a friend I'd use the push pins. I used to work in a poker room and watched 2 maintenance guys replace layouts pretty regularly. They used this method.

Here is my cloth installation video I did a while ago.

This applies more to a custom felt instalation but it works for ssc too. Just pull a bit more to get it tight.

Is it easier to start with the sides, then the ends?

I initially staple at four locations, after measuring to make sure everything is centered: first at 12 o'clock, then pull tight and staple at 6 o'clock. Then pull tight and staple at 3 o'clock, pull tight and staple at 9 o'clock.

From there, pick a quadrant, go to the center point between existing staples, pull tight and staple. Repeat that process over and over, always stapling at the center-point between two existing staples (and pulling tight before you do so).

When you are done, all staples should be less than 1" apart. Should never be any wrinkles on the finished side using this process.

You may also want to consider a light steam with an iron to smooth out some of the wrinkles before installing. The last time I did that I hung the speed cloth from a shower rod and worked on it. Start with a corner you know you're going to cut off so you can gauge temperature and time.

I initially staple at four locations, after measuring to make sure everything is centered: first at 12 o'clock, then pull tight and staple at 6 o'clock. Then pull tight and staple at 3 o'clock, pull tight and staple at 9 o'clock.

From there, pick a quadrant, go to the center point between existing staples, pull tight and staple. Repeat that process over and over, always stapling at the center-point between two existing staples (and pulling tight before you do so).

When you are done, all staples should be less than 1" apart. Should never be any wrinkles on the finished side using this process.

Having built dozens of tables, I thought I could give some advice on this topic, but there it is.....^

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom