My flipping auction (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
No holds barred here, say what you want.
Here's my reason for flipping these chips. I just paid a stupid amount for a big lot on eBay. So I started looking at things I could sell, to offset that cost. My natural feeling is not to be a chiproom flipper - it just tastes bad in my mouth. But then there's the reality that if I sell it to somebody for face value, and they turn around and flip it (or more likely, flip big pieces of it) I'll feel like an idiot.
So I really got to thinking about things. The reality is that I've been overpaying for everything lately, because the market has changed. If I continue to buy high, but sell low, I'm the sucker.
For whatever it's worth, I'm not becoming a full time flipper. I'm also looking at racks I could sell, that I bought here on PCF. I won't flip chips I bought from PCFers - that's where I draw the line. I still feel a sense of community here, and I don't want to give that up. It puts me in a funny position with those chips though - I don't really need to keep them, but I can't bring myself to sell them for what I paid, when they're worth almost double that. So I'm fine with keeping them. And I'm certainly not going to start buying up chiproom chips just to flip them - I'm not going to turn my hobby into a business. But no, given the all around condition of things, I don't have a problem with flipping a chiproom sample set.

I think this is probably what most people think when they re sell for more than they paid.

And then there are a very small few that actively seek bargains with the intention of selling for a profit..

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Ok, since you want no holds barred feedback.

I'm pretty sure you've stated you don't like new Paulsons. That you're only interested in sets from the 80s and 90s.

Yeah. The Paulsons that were made 30 years ago are my favorite. I'm not interested in the chips they're producing today.
Quite simply, the only advantage of today's Paulson chips is the available color palette.
Their current clay and CPC's clay are a wash in my opinion.
CPC advantages: Mold selection, molds that produce textured inlays, and shaped inlays. Oh and made in America is a plus for a lot of people.
It's taken me a few years to realize it, but no, if Paulson opened up shop today, with their current offerings, my business would not go there.
99% of PCFers? I doubt it. 75-80%? Probably. But there's no accounting for taste.

If that's the case, and if you're interested in the good of the community, why buy a sample set that was extremely limited when you really have no interest? Thereby denying a fellow chipping community member?

I don't know you so I don't really care whether you flip chips or not. And I don't care if there are a ton of flippers on this site. You don't need to justify yourself and your sales/auctions to anyone. Buy what you want and sell what you want. Just don't pretend there are imaginary lines/boundaries dictated by a false sense of the greater community. People have small groups of folks they interact with on this forum and will of course give preferential treatment to these friends/acquaintances. Everyone else gets 'fair market value' .

I'll pay you 1.5x what you paid! :) That way you aren't selling them for their value, but then you aren't holding onto them for nothin' either! Win-Win.

I kid! Unless you got some sweet Washington State Frac's or some Kenmore Lanes racks kicking around. LOL

Ok, since you want no holds barred feedback.

I'm pretty sure you've stated you don't like new Paulsons. That you're only interested in sets from the 80s and 90s.

If that's the case, and if you're interested in the good of the community, why buy a sample set that was extremely limited when you really have no interest? Thereby denying a fellow chipping community member?

I don't know you so I don't really care whether you flip chips or not. And I don't care if there are a ton of flippers on this site. You don't need to justify yourself and your sales/auctions to anyone. Buy what you want and sell what you want. Just don't pretend there are imaginary lines/boundaries dictated by a false sense of the greater community. People have small groups of folks they interact with on this forum and will of course give preferential treatment to these friends/acquaintances. Everyone else gets 'fair market value' .
There was one chip in that set that I was drawn to, that I wanted to check out in person. And I've spent the last two chiproom releases debating with myself about whether I should build a tournament set with the cash chips - I absolutely don't love the clay or the mold (as I've posted ad nauseum) but I can't help being drawn in by the colors. But probably the biggest reason I bought that sample set is the dumbest reason of all - the hype and challenge of a chiproom sale is just exciting.
Denying a fellow community member a chance at the set? Though I think you ask this cynically, I'll answer that. Chipping really is a zero sum game, in many ways, right? Any chips I buy are chips you can't buy. Can't let that keep you up at night.
And as far as " imaginary lines/boundaries dictated by a false sense of the greater community" - I hear you. Not to get too esoteric, but we kinda live our whole lives based on imaginary lines and boundaries. We just pay attention to the ones that matter to us (or the ones required by law.) So that's where I am. You can question my sense of community if you want. I'll just say that the whole reason I'm having this discussion is because it's something that's real to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom