Murder, (S)he Wrote: The Unofficial Murder Pr0n Thread (10 Viewers)

Is this the correct/most efficient order?
  • Mill/murder
  • Ultrasonic (removes residue from above and preps label surface)
  • Label
  • Oil
Or should I oil, then label?

I’m sometimes left with a VERY thin strip of inlay after milling that’s quite difficult to remove. Looks like the manual method leaves some residue behind also?

I think it’ll be imperceptible after I put the new label in anyway, and can barely be seen from alternate angles as-is. View attachment 1251871View attachment 1251872
I've got news for you. Those are vinyl inlays, not paper. I've hand murdered those before and they come out 100% perfect with NO evidence of the former inlay left over.

Paper inlays are a completely different beast.

Is this the correct/most efficient order?
  • Mill/murder
  • Ultrasonic (removes residue from above and preps label surface)
  • Label
  • Oil
Or should I oil, then label?
yes, unless your chips are really just totally dead and they are going to need multiple rounds of conditioning to bring back to life

yes, unless your chips are really just totally dead and they are going to need multiple rounds of conditioning to bring back to life
1704747743504.png

Label and oil
If you put oil before the label you will Be in trouble
The label glue will be hard to stick
Not true.i always oil before labelling and in some cases have applied the label only a few hours after oiling.

I would actually be more concerned about oiling with the new label applied.

Not true.i always oil before labelling and in some cases have applied the label only a few hours after oiling.

I would actually be more concerned about oiling with the new label applied.
My experience is Pippas. I've had one set dump the labels when oiled before, but never had a label come off if I oiled after, even if I oiled immediately.

Anyone have experience murdering these majestic star $1ks? Anything special I should be aware of? Pro tips? @Nanook?
View attachment 1292905
Funny you mentioned those. I have never done those, but I have a barrel on the way to murder. I'll take some pics and let you know.

Pretty sure they are blaze, right? Be really careful with them as blaze gets discolored really easily. Use an eye dropper to fill the recess. Be careful not to overfill the recess as it WILL stain. You'll have to experiment a little, but don't leave the NANPR on any longer than necessary and use a paper towel to soak up any extra.

Funny you mentioned those. I have never done those, but I have a barrel on the way to murder. I'll take some pics and let you know.

Pretty sure they are blaze, right? Be really careful with them as blaze gets discolored really easily. Use an eye dropper to fill the recess. Be careful not to overfill the recess as it WILL stain. You'll have to experiment a little, but don't leave the NANPR on any longer than necessary and use a paper towel to soak up any extra.
I thought these were pumpkin and not blaze, but I might be wrong.

I’m just guessing but I think these maybe paper inlays

Still learning, but making progress.
IMG_4793.jpeg

After having a frustrating morning of botched murder, this post from @Nanook resolved most of my struggles.

Naboo’s one cut method saved me.

Starting about 1/8” from the edge, I make an incision only about 1/4” long toward the center.

Using an X-acto, I try to slip the tip of the blade under both the laminate and the vinyl layers.

I then turn the blade slightly while trying to drive it (gently) further under both layers, then lifting.

The goal is to create a small pouch or pocket for the X-acto to lift from. Using only one cut gives more leverage.

One the inlay begins to lift from the chip, I can start to pull from the edge, following the circumference. I keep my lifting finger on the chip so that it doesn’t tear into smaller pieces.

If done right, you can usually (not always) get the whole inlay up with a slow circular pull.

It seems crucial with these vinyl inlays not to separate the two layers. Once the laminate is lifted off on its own, you’re in a world of hurt.

The vinyl on my victim chips was not weighty enough to pull off in large chunks on its own. When connected to the laminate, the full inlay holds together enough to tug against the adhesive without tearing or breaking.

Without the laminate attached, I wound up having to scrape off a lot of medium to tiny pieces of vinyl, bit by bit. This is not only extremeky slow, but results in potentially more damage to the clay. If you can get it off in one piece, the tile savings is huge.

Learning how deep to cut to get through the laminate and vinyl layers without cutting into the clay takes practice; can’t say I’m there yet.
Another I'll help you post:
I'll give another hint to everyone trying this themselves and I would say this one is the biggest of all: Go slow at first and make sure you like what you are doing before proceeding with a mass murder.

Here is my reasoning:
There are several things that can go wrong with the whole murder thing. I am sure that there are others, but these are the ones that jump to the top of my mind as I am thinking about this. All of the following can be avoided by following my advice of going slow and if you don't like the results just slow down and change your procedure/method of murder or just stop all together and let someone else do it that can do it without damaging the chips (other than the murder part)
a) you might not even like the chips you have chosen to murder & once murdered you can't un-murder.
This one has been discussed quite a bit before, but it a big one and deserves mentioning again. You can murder just a few chips and label them 1st so you are confident that you like the final result before mass murder.
b) Damaging the chips by cutting too deep: (1st pic below)
This was a chip that I did not murder, but is a good example of this. The angle of attack with your knife to the face of the chip is too steep and you wind up cutting too deep. A small nick isn't a big deal and will be covered up by the labels, but a deep cut/gauge will be seen and can be felt through the new label. Hold the knife as parallel to the face of the chip that you can. I almost never cut into the clay at all. When I do it is very shallow.
c) Damaging the chips by NANPR causing discoloration: (2nd pic below)
Different chips react a lot differently to different solvents. In the pic below you can see that the clay material on chip on the left in the area that used to be covered up by the inlay is not discolored, but the one on the right is. These two chips were done with the same NANPR, but as you can see one color gets discolored and the other does not. I am not going to intentionally ruin a chip so I can show you all what that damage looks like on the face of the chip, but I think everyone can imagine that if the discoloration in the middle of the chip on the right was on the face of the chip you would wind up with a really bad looking finished product. Some colors are extremely sensitive to discoloration and others are not very sensitive at all, others are in between somewhere. You are not going to know until you try and I can assure you that if the chips you are murdering are sensitive to discoloration you are going damage at least a few, probably a lot, before you figure out how to murder them without damaging them. Once again, I almost never damage the face of the chip by discoloring it from the solvent because I have figured out how to keep the solvent off the face of the chip.

Moral of the story:
Go slow and make sure you are getting satisfactory results before proceeding with mass murder

Ouch....
Those look like it was a slow and painful death
Confirmed. Any additional tips? The vinyl is just stubborn. I try to peel up a corner with the top layer still attached, then add a drop of nail polish remover to assist and it’s still pretty tedious.

IMG_3064.jpeg

I guess I’m a slow learner, because despite murdering a couple hundred chips in the past, I never thought before to speed things up with some time & motion study.

After slogging through a barrel of black RPCs, I thought: There has got to be a faster way.

When I do chips one-by-one, I’m constantly picking up and putting down the main tools needed (knife, acetone syringe, pliers). Unless things go perfectly, each step of the operation requires handling these multiple times.

For the next barrel I decided to address them in batches of five instead.

I made the starter cuts on both sides of the five all at once. I made the cuts at the same location on each chip since sometimes it’s hard to see them.

I then put a dot of acetone on yhr first five sides, at the spot where I like to cut a tiny opening to ensure it penetrates to the paper and clay.

Then I switch back to the knife and attempt to get each inlay to peel back, adding acetone to all five as I go as needed. One good thing about this approach is that the brief waits for the acetone to work overlap.

And so on through both sides, then on to another batch.

Amazingly, this shortened the work by as much as half.

IMG_3055.jpeg

- - - - - - -

Re: Murdering RPCs: The chips with black spots or black base color are a bit of a problem. I did a batch of yellows with black spots a while ago. Like these, the black clay easily turns to mush, and is easily spread to other parts of the chip unless extreme care is taken.

I believe I’ve seen a few others comment on this issue with them. Not sure if it is unique to the RPCs, or other recent NAGB chips with black elements. I’ve not encountered such a mess with other Paulsons.

IMG_3052.jpeg

Note2: Cricut-made laminated inlays! Maiden voyage on that.

Last edited:
This pic is so much easier to look at now that I've finished my 3rd rack of $500's. Thanks again for the 3 way trade.
I’ve misplaced a barrel of those lmao. I received it in the mail Jan 4 and I can’t find it. I’m hoping it’s with @Nanook but I don’t see it in our PMs.

Your 2 barrels/trade are in my possession and was a success!

Update: Booyah found^

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom