Tourney Multi-table seating - first time player (1 Viewer)

Is it ok to ensure a first time player plays at your table in a multi-table tournament you host?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
In the vein of 'if you're game ain't growing, it's dying' - I have a new player coming to my next game, which is a multi-table tournament. He's a casual player and so want him to have a good first experience so he wants to come back (and he only knows me and one other player to some degree).

My question is - would it be 'wrong' to ensure he gets seated at my table (both for the social aspect and for being at the 'primary' table that is in the poker room versus a converted dining table)? but with a random seat at that table? We generally draw for seats - I would basically be manually ensuring he gets draws only for "table 1".

Poll above, comments below. Thanks!

In a home game environment absolutely okay. Sure some people are going to post in here about the advantage you get, yadda yadda yadda.

I've have had guys who have brought their brother in law, father in law, etc and asked if I could make sure they were at same table. I will accommodate that every time.

If I have a PCFer coming to my game, I'm gonna make sure we are on the same table.

Your game - your rules.

If it's only for the first game in an attempt to welcome him into the group I think it's fine. But I think you open yourself up to other players asking that their new players play at the same table with them for their first games as well.

ex) Regular Joe tells you his co-worker would like to come. I think you'd now be obligated to seat Regular Joe and his co-worker at the same table for the co-worker's first game. It's possible that others could use this to collude in future tournaments, but obviously you determine the risk and level of trust with your game and your players.

I see no problem with it, when I host multi tables, i am always seat 1 table 1that way I can control the computer

I have also sat people with friends on their first visit or even split them because they don't want to be by each other(first tourney only)

it is your tournament, do what you need to do to make it grow and thrive

if you are uncomfortable make sure you let everyone there know what you are doing, nobody besides that 1 asshole you have at your game will care, even the asshole doesn't care but he/she just wants to say something for the sake of saying something

Don't see any problem with it. We have several unwritten rules for our 3 table events. There are 3 or 4 rather large players who have requested not to sit next to each other for table "comfort"........ lol.... nobody has a problem with it. We also have 2 players that don't really get along with each other, but are fine with the rest of the group, so I always try to make sure that they are at opposite tables to begin with, usually one busts out before they end up together.

I use the Tournament Director software and start with the randomized seating and then tweak seating if necessary based on the above rules. I set the seating just before people arrive.

I see no problem with it, when I host multi tables, i am always seat 1 table 1that way I can control the computer

I have also sat people with friends on their first visit or even split them because they don't want to be by each other(first tourney only)

it is your tournament, do what you need to do to make it grow and thrive

if you are uncomfortable make sure you let everyone there know what you are doing, nobody besides that 1 asshole you have at your game will care, even the asshole doesn't care but he/she just wants to say something for the sake of saying something
Yeah, I think you have to make it clear to the other players that you are doing it and that it is just for the first week.

Another thought is that could you elect a table captain for the other table, someone who is friendly and regular to your game, who can help the noob in the event he is on the other table? I've done that too.

First time for a noob, I'm cool with that. If it becomes a regular thing, I'd probably have issues with it (although knowing me, I'd most likely keep it to myself and just stop attending the game).

Absolutely okay! We often have (causal) work events where there’s a few colleagues from the same department that wish to sit near each other — they’ll be on the same table. I’ve been able to accommodate that every time, despite us all knowing each other from the same office anyways. Everyone’s happy.

i am always seat 1 table 1
Same here.

TDA rule #1: The best interest of the game and fairness are top priorities in decision-making. Unusual circumstances occasionally dictate that common-sense decisions in the interest of fairness take priority over technical rules. Floor decisions are final.

One of our standing rules is that new players are seated at a table with someone they know. Making players comfortable is a key factor to "The best interest of the game".

We do have an algorithm that tracks each player's history with and without new players. If someone developed a trend toward winning more when they have a new player (or new players win more when starting at the inviter's table), we could suspend the rule "in the best interest of the game". However, nobody has ever come close to that, and tracking the stat is just that for me... a statistic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom