Tourney MTT - Do you re-seat the entire final table? (1 Viewer)

Gobbs, I can't speak for others, but since I have two dedicated dealers that sit in specific seats, our seating isn't entirely random. The others draw a seating chip labeled 1-8. While I could let Seat 1 be the first dealer, my actual dealers would never have a chance. Or, I could have the dealer who draws Dealer 1 (not 2) deal first. But instead, once seated, one dealer deals a card face up to everyone. Highest card is the first dealer, and in case of a tie, tied players get a second card until the tie is broken.

If I didn't have dedicated dealer seats and only a few qualified dealers, I'd draw seats 1-10 and let the one who draws 1 be the first dealer.

Two ways to do that more efficiently (less effort and time):

a) all players draw seat numbers, dealer sits where he always sits placing his number in front of him, all other players sit in their respective seats relative to his number. No need for drawing button location separately -- it's always seat #1 (or nine, or whatever number you use).

b) even if using your seating system, there is no need for dealing extra cards in the case of a tie for button -- highest suit wins in case of numerical tie ( :spades::hearts::diamonds::clubs: in that order).

BG, I considered your first idea years ago. Since the dealers must be 5 seats apart, that complicates having all draw numbers. I could have a dealer draw, and then the other dealer automatically gets the number at +/-5, and only have seats 1-9. When one dealer draws, another seat is left blank 5 seats away and that dealer doesn't have a seating chip. That's not a big deal, but it's easier for players to get fouled up, which would take more time. It sounds easy to have one dealer draw and then both sit, and then other players sit around them. But designating Dealer 1 and Dealer 2 is easy and they know which seats to sit in. Also, Seat 1 is always in the same place on the table when I do it that way. Hopefully players get used to that.

The suits is a good idea. We used to have the seating chips be in relation to the first dealer, but now even dealers are part of the random start. I have thought of doing the suits in order, but not everyone knows the order. By the time someone questions it, we could have played off the tie.

So in the end, while I did consider your ideas, I wasn't really sure given our setup it would really save time. One error could cost more time than it would save. It only takes seconds to deal a second card to ties, and it doesn't come up that often. :)

BG, I considered your first idea years ago. Since the dealers must be 5 seats apart, ...

You have two dealers at the same table? I've seen that a couple times, but didn't particularly like it or see much of an advantage (other than when it got to be heads up). Perhaps you run it better than I've seen before. How does it work for you?

You have two dealers at the same table? I've seen that a couple times, but didn't particularly like it or see much of an advantage (other than when it got to be heads up). Perhaps you run it better than I've seen before. How does it work for you?

I don't do this but I've played in a game that does.

Essentially it's just a self-dealt game, but only two players are dealing. That way you don't have to have a dedicated non-playing dealer, but the players who hate to deal (and there were a few in this game) don't have to.

Our dealers deal every other hand. They are playing dealers. I think it's worked pretty well, but I'll ask others who have been to my game what they think. @Frogzilla; @dkersey; and @CraigT78 have all seen it in action. Opinions guys?

Our dealers deal every other hand. They are playing dealers. I think it's worked pretty well, but I'll ask others who have been to my game what they think. @Frogzilla; @dkersey; and @CraigT78 have all seen it in action. Opinions guys?

@TexRex has the 2 dedicated dealers. Each dealer is responsible for his own deck. They have the button shuffle their deck after a hand. I think its a great system. The cards are ready, the dealers are experienced and centrally located at the table, which makes for fast and near constant play. It also gives the dealer a small break by only dealing every other hand. I like it a lot. My guess is his only challenge is getting enough dealers to agree to deal...but I think he has an incentive for that.

So, what I read is, there are not actually two dedicated dealers, but a rotating shuffle with two people who perform the remainder of the dealer duties. Does this include running the community cards, raking bets, maintaining the muck pile, controlling the action, etc.? Or, is it just two people throwing cards and dealing the community cards but no other dealer duties?

My guess is, dkersey is right...the challenge is getting enough people to agree to do it (or is there an incentive)? I wouldn't do it without some sort of incentive since it is too much of an advantage to not deal in this game.

Either way, this sounds superior to a rotating deal if you can get people to do it, but inferior to a dedicated dealer. I hate playing in rotating deals, but I could probably be convinced to play in something like this since, if the dealers actually act as dealers, it solves a few of the problems I hate with a rotating deal.

I thought this was fantastic. We saw more hands per level in the 2 dealer game, than I do in my self dealt game. I plan on doing this in my games starting next year. They controlled the flow of the game.

Gobbs, the dealers handle all other dealer duties. Sometimes they even shuffle. Some of my dealers actually like to shuffle and do it most of the time.

We charge $5 for an additional 40% in chips. That is dedicated to the dealers and cards, so dealer's are paid from a separate fund.

The incentive is small. They get $1 for each 20 minutes they deal. If they deal through the break, they are guaranteed $6, which offsets their extra. It is not much. But our buy in is $30 too, so it's not a big game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom