Mix 39 mm and 43 mm chips in a cash set

• No

• Yes

• Fine either way

Results are only viewable after voting.

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I'm currently running a group buy for 43 mm Parks and Rec chips. I'm planning on buying a cash set that comprises of 1's through 500's.

I currently own 1050 x 1 of the 39 mm variety.

A couple of people (chippers and non chippers) have suggested that I don't buy any ones. That I use my 39 mm ones with 43 mm 5's and 25's.

My immediate response was hell no. Raking in pots of mixed 39 and 43 mm chips seems like a hassle.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

B

In wouldn't describe it as a hassle, but it's different to take in two size chips for sure.

It just seems so wasterful to buy two more racks of $1 chips in 43mm when you have plenty already, albeit 39mm.

Because it's the smallest denom (used for blinds, etc.) I think it will be fine.

Of course I wouldn't buy "less" chips. I would just get more of the rest of the denominations lol.

It is a waste to buy more, but that's not the debate.
I hate 2 different size chips in play.

Why? share your deep thoughts on it lol

Its going to be 80 to 90 bucks a rack. If I don't get the ones, then I can get more 25's, 100's, and 500's. Of course I need those lol

My DDLMs $25s/$100s are 43mm while the rest are 39mm. Doesn’t bother me at all and makes the higher denom chips seem special IMO.

Something about having $5s and up oversized seems wrong to me for some reason. It wouldn’t bother me while playing although I’d rather not plan my sets that way. All 43mm would be preferred vs that.

Does seem waste to reorder all your $1s in 43mm unless you can sell your current $1s to other GB participants in lieu of ordering new chips. That seems like a win/win to me.

As you know, I have 36mm fracs in one of my sets. Pulling a big mixed pot is "different" with multiple chips sizes. If you have a stack of 39mm in your hand, you can't just grab a single 36mm and put it on top of a barrel of 36mm.

That's the only drawback.

For $160-$180, I can live with that minor inconvenience.

How many 39mm $1s do you have? I agree replacing them with 43mm $1s would be ideal, but probably won't happen... You'll end up taking a loss on the 39mm $1s and/or it will take a long time to move them, IMO.

:meh:
meh, I can deal with it in someone's set but for me personally I rather not mix sizes in my own sets, either all 39mm or all 43mm.

See it more in tournaments than cash and when it;s in a cash set it's usually just the top denom chip only. In your 1/1 game the $1 would be mainly for blinds so it may not be too bad.

How many 39mm $1s do you have? I agree replacing them with 43mm $1s would be ideal, but probably won't happen... You'll end up taking a loss on the 39mm $1s and/or it will take a long time to move them, IMO.

1050 x 1

I'm not interested in replacing them.

Lol. @detroitdad voted 'No' to mixing 39mm and 43mm.

One other thing. Most people are okay with the big denoms being oversized. Personally, I'm not a fan... We don't get many $25's or $100's in play.

The last time we played on the Aurora Star set, I had 6 barrels of 25¢, $1 and $5, but I had like four oversized $20 chips... It felt awkward to stack them on top of a barrel of $5s because they weren't the same size and I didn't want to start a separate barrel for just 4 chips... so I just kinda stacked them on top across multiple barrels.

Compare that to having the smallest denom be undersized... There are plenty of the small denom on the table, so you have the chance to make a full barrel of that chip, if not multiple barrels.

It feels less awkward to me to have an undersized lowest denom than it does to have a oversized highest denom.

Ideally, all the same size. But if you're going to mix sizes -- at our stakes -- I'd prefer the lowest denom to be undersized.

JMHO.

Lol. @detroitdad voted 'No' to mixing 39mm and 43mm.

My gut says i won't like it. There are about 12,000 smarter chippers than I on this forum. I figured I would seek other opinions.

Last edited:
I voted yes but not a fan of larger chips in denoms less than $20 or $25... imo whatever that is worth. I think fracs (if applicable) $1s and $5s should be the smaller chips, they are typically all that are in play pre rebuys... it is signifying a large quantity and I prefer them to be larger in size. But also fine with everything being the same size. Storage is a bitch with mixed sets!

Tried to keep it short just for you Bill! Lmao

The problem with an all oversize set is that in a matter of less than an orbit, you forget that any chips are oversized. I discovered the phenomenon at Minnemania, playing on an all oversized set.

All 43mm doesn't hurt the game, but you lose the "thrill" of the big chips.

For what it's worth, I have both mixed size sets and an all oversized set. The tactile difference is only a thing in the mixed set, and non-chippers won't even know the all 43mm set is any different from the previous week's 39mm set.

From an efficiency perspective, having two denominations of different sizes in play is generally better -- quicker to identify/count bets and pot totals, and faster to separate/restack chips in collected pots. It also pretty much eliminates dirty stacks altogether.

From a comfort and/or OCD angle, it can be either a non-issue or a nightmare, depending on your perspective, flexibility, and familiarity.

For me personally, I'm not a fan of mixing sizes (of any type or denom) -- mostly for aesthetic reasons -- but after an hour or less of play, it's no big deal for me. But YMMV, and it may vary a LOT. I'd say either try it and order 43mm $1s if you absolutely can't stand it, or first borrow/piecemeal together a temporary set to check out in play before you order chips at all.

One bonus of having mixed sizes (if you embrace it, or if it doesn't bother you) is that it may tilt the ever-livin' crap out of some of the other players. :)

The $20 chip in my DDM cash set is 43mm. Players really like the larger chip for the higher denom. It matters little to me.

I don't understand the hang up. Everyone I play cards with separates and stacks their chips according to value. Having two different size chips is only going to slow this process down when dragging in large pots where there is large quantity of each size that needs sorting.

I would keep the 39mm $1's and $5's, possibly $20's (or $25's) and order 43mm for the higher denoms.

If using over sized chips or a plaque I prefer it as the single biggest chip that gets in play, as a value storage chip to look cool in your stack.

for actual game play I like all the chips the same size.

Yeah I feel that this is truly a personal preference thing. I personally LOVE mixing the different sizes with the higher denom being oversized. My low stakes DDLM set has 39mm fracs and dollahs, 43mm fivers and $20 plaques.

Like what @Poker Zombie said above, if the whole set is 43mm then you lose the special appeal of the oversized feature (if that is important to you). And I too have used an all 43mm set (Burros) with non chippers and no one noticed that the chips were any different from the standard size. It kinda lost it’s flair if you will.

Edit to add: And as far as storage goes, I just use all Matsui racks which accommodate both 39mm and 43mm so no issues there.

Last edited:
I am all for having oversized big denoms .... my cash set has Dunes $20's while the 25c through $5s are standard 39mm. The oversized 20's are great for 1/2 limit games when you have racks of 1s on the table.

The downside to my set is I have 39mm $100's .... which bothers me a little (but I had to have Tropicana 100s). My games don't usually use 100s so it doesn't matter but I've been tempted to pick up some 39mm $20/25s for those days

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom