Tourney Mixed Tourney Idea (1 Viewer)

rjbf65

Two Pair
Reaction score
I've been thinking of doing a dealers choice cash game for some time but I always struggle with the idea of games that are no limit mixing in with games that are fixed limit.

Then the idea turned into doing a dealers choice tournament, as people are more typically more inclined to play in a tournament to learn certain games. I enjoyed following along the WSOP dealers choice tournament, however, they have like 20 games to choose from and I feel that is way too many for my group. My thoughts were to allow for 6 different games and the dealer can choose any of the 6.

1. No Limit Holdem
2. Pineapple
3. Crazy Pineapple
4. Pot Limit Omaha
5. Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo
6. 2-7 Single Draw.

The reason for the 6 games chosen is they are all games that require blinds instead of ante's. All are no limit or pot limit. The dealing is pretty straight forward in that you either deal 2,3,4, or 5 cards. One game included is a split pot game and and there is a game to expose people to a lowball game.

I normally like to do a 10K starting stack, but for this I may double it as some of the games are not too familiar to a lot of the guys and I'd like to have deeper stacks. Is this something that seems like would be fun for novice players that have only played Holdem? Is it too much to throw at them? My hope is this would guys comfortable enough to play these games for a cash game as well.

I'd like to hear some thoughts from guys that have done something similar.

Thanks!

Will your players (who are learning new games) actually pick different variants during the tournament or will everyone keep picking NLHE?

Maybe just switch the variant every blind increase? Or maybe consider, instead of a MTT, play turbo SNGs or double-or-nothing STTs for a low buy-in with every new table a different variant? Then players can play multiple SNGs throughout the night for cheap and practice a few games one at a time.

I love the idea.

And for the record, I fold pre-flop without ever looking at my cards anytime Omaha is in action. Omaha F’s me every time, and not the good kind…

Will your players (who are learning new games) actually pick different variants during the tournament or will everyone keep picking NLHE?

Maybe just switch the variant every blind increase? Or maybe consider, instead of a MTT, play turbo SNGs or double-or-nothing STTs for a low buy-in with every new table a different variant? Then players can play multiple SNGs throughout the night for cheap and practice a few games one at a time.

I like those ideas. I thought about making a rule that you can’t pick the same game twice in a row to keep it from being 90% Holdem (which I don’t think would happen).

If I get this game to happen I plan to keep notes of how often each game gets called.

Which of the 6 games do you consider having position to be the biggest advantage? That’s the game I’m picking the most often.

I like those ideas. I thought about making a rule that you can’t pick the same game twice in a row to keep it from being 90% Holdem (which I don’t think would happen).

If I get this game to happen I plan to keep notes of how often each game gets called.

Which of the 6 games do you consider having position to be the biggest advantage? That’s the game I’m picking the most often.
I'd have to assume 2-7 single draw would have the biggest positional advantage. Tons of bluffing in that game and most players probably don't know how to play it.

For this style tournament I wouldn’t do dealers choice. Do a timed blind structure and change games every orbit. This is the same way wsop does their HORSE tournament. It’s beneficial to you because if the goal is to get players to try new games it makes them see every game. Also they don’t have to change their mindset for every single hand.

1. No Limit Holdem
2. Pineapple
3. Crazy Pineapple
4. Pot Limit Omaha
5. Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo
6. 2-7 Single Draw.

If you are wanting to introduce guys to mixed games then I wouldn't have three hold'em variants. Also, Dealers choice for mixed games novices might be a bad idea.

As stated, I would choose 5 games. NLHE, 5 card Draw, Double Board PLO, and 5 card PLO Hi/Lo

Doubling the starting stacks is a good idea. I'd still consider making it a rebuy tourney as well.

30 minute blinds. Hands are going to take longer to play out. I would change the game every 8 hands vs changing it with the timer. This is how I have handled it without problems in the past. One player has 8 dealer buttons. Every hand he removes one button. When all 8 DB's are moved the new game starts.

If you are wanting to introduce guys to mixed games then I wouldn't have three hold'em variants. Also, Dealers choice for mixed games novices might be a bad idea.

As stated, I would choose 5 games. NLHE, 5 card Draw, Double Board PLO, and 5 card PLO Hi/Lo

Doubling the starting stacks is a good idea. I'd still consider making it a rebuy tourney as well.

30 minute blinds. Hands are going to take longer to play out. I would change the game every 8 hands vs changing it with the timer. This is how I have handled it without problems in the past. One player has 8 dealer buttons. Every hand he removes one button. When all 8 DB's are moved the new game starts.

In my mind a Hold'em variant is still better than Hold'em only, and an easier transition for novices. (Although I'm not really a big fan of Pineapple.)

I like the rebuy aspect and also the longer blinds as we are looking at hands taking longer to play out compared to Hold'em.

I like the games you mentioned a lot. I really would like to have 2-7 Single Draw as part of the mix. I've honestly never played it but the game intrigues me a lot. I just like the idea of there being a possible risk / reward for drawing a card (and making your hand worse) compared to what 5 card draw offers.

That 5 game mix would be 2 draw games, 2 Omaha games, and also a Hold'em Game. Sounds like a blast to me.

I really would like to have 2-7 Single Draw as part of the mix.

I almost exclusively host dealers choice cash. We normally play a couple of orbits a night of this. It is a great game, and a great change of pace to the pot limit games that we normally play. With only two betting rounds it moves pretty quickly.

For a tournament, I'd go with a pre-determined rotation. It'll better suit your goals here, which is getting people to learn and become comfortable with a variety of games.

Once they're comfy, introduce dealer's choice in a cash game setting.

We just did this. Had about 15 games to choose from. Pretty much all the ones WSOP uses in there mixed games. Result: 48% Hold em, 48% PLO, 4% other games...

Yep...........Until the group falls in love with it. Then it changes to 2% NLHE, 5% PLO, and 93% crazy shit!
But that’s the benefit of using a rotation to start out. Everyone gets a chance to learn each game. Also playing 6-8 hands in a row of one game without switching helps too when people are still learning rules and strategy for each game.

But that’s the benefit of using a rotation to start out. Everyone gets a chance to learn each game. Also playing 6-8 hands in a row of one game without switching helps too when people are still learning rules and strategy for each game.

I'm agreeing with you. We started with a HOPE rotation. Then it went to a HOPES rotation, then a HOES rotation. Now its mostly Dealers Choice. We always play a few rounds of scarney, 3-2-1 hi/lo, Big O (a group favorite), 2-7 single draw, double PLO, ect.....

I'm hosting a FL game in a few weeks. I'll encourage triple draw games like Archie, Badugi variants, 2-7, ect....

I'm agreeing with you. We started with a HOPE rotation. Then it went to a HOPES rotation, then a HOES rotation. Now its mostly Dealers Choice. We always play a few rounds of scarney, 3-2-1 hi/lo, Big O (a group favorite), 2-7 single draw, double PLO, ect.....

I'm hosting a FL game in a few weeks. I'll encourage triple draw games like Archie, Badugi variants, 2-7, ect....
My mistake I thought you meant to keep playing dealers choice. I could NEVER get mixed games going with my regular group. It’s hold em only. One guy actually can’t even comprehend that hold em and poker aren’t interchangeable words, he thinks hold em IS poker and that’s it.

My mistake I thought you meant to keep playing dealers choice. I could NEVER get mixed games going with my regular group. It’s hold em only. One guy actually can’t even comprehend that hold em and poker aren’t interchangeable words, he thinks hold em IS poker and that’s it.

no worries. Its all about baby steps lol

Playing with @moose got me into all the circus games. Now playing NLHE all night is super boring. I blame him.

I still hate dramaha though. Yes, I know I'm the only one ;)

I've run a few mixed tournies in the past. I'm hosting a NL/PLO round by round at Christmas. Here are the rules from a couple of them. I went with either a rebuy or a lammer concept in case something went wrong and someone misunderstood the rules/game and stacked themselves. Either works well but the lammers make it slightly more serious than a straight up low cost rebuy tourney.

Sat. Mar. 17 - Doors open at 1 pm

Food: Chinese delivery

1:30 pm Mixed March Maddness $80 tournament

Tourney rules:

The Circus Games:

BigO - 5 card pot limit Omaha Hi/Lo

SOHE - Simultaneous Holdem and Omaha - you are dealt six cards which you separate into a holdem and an omaha hand before any betting

Dramaha - best 5 card draw hand split with best Omaha hand

Tahoe Pitch and Roll - 7 card stud, you are dealt 4 cards, before any betting you decide which card to pitch away and which card to roll as your up card

Games will change every level and are all pot limit games. ie. first level is BigO, second level is SOHE and so on.

For $80, you will receive $50,000 in chips.
Chips will distributed as follows: $10, 000 in chips, 2 $20k lammers, which can each be exchanged at any time for $20, 000 tourney chips. The lammers are not in play until exchanged for tourney chips. After four levels (one level of each game) all remaining lammers will be exchanged for chips and the tourney will continue until we have our Mixed March Maddness Champion!

Players paid by 1:20 pm will receive $50,000 in chips. Players not paid by 1:20 pm will receive $45,000. For an optional additional $5, late players will receive a full stack.

Circus Games Tourney!!!!!!
Sat May 20
Doors open 12:30 pm, Cards in the air 1pm

$5 rebuy

Chips to be flying everywhere. $5 gets you 1000 chips. You may rebuy at 1000 chips or less. Optional $5000 chip addon at the end of 4 levels for $10

Levels will be 20 minutes with the game continuing until we have a champion. Up to 4 tables.

Tourney rules:

The Circus Games:

SOHE - Simultaneous Holdem and Omaha - you are dealt six cards which you separate into a holdem and an omaha hand before any betting

Tahoe Pitch and Roll - 7 card stud, you are dealt 4 cards, before any betting you decide which card to pitch away and which card to roll as your up card

Games will change every level and are all pot limit games. ie. first level is BigO, second level is SOHE and so on.

If you want to try out the some Circus games that we normally play in our cash games, in a lower risk tourney format - then this tourney is for you.

If you make a mistake or get sucked out on, it is only $5 to rebuy and try again. If you prefer your poker serious, you may wish to wait for another time.

After four levels (one level of each game) the rebuys will end and the tourney will continue until we have our Circus Games Champion!

That makes sense but it's dealers choice. Also a few players simply won't play certain games and sit out if a person chooses them.
But that’s why you need a set rotation, so it’s not dealers choice. You have to force them into playing all the games so they eventually learn to like them.

I've run a few mixed tournies in the past. I'm hosting a NL/PLO round by round at Christmas. Here are the rules from a couple of them. I went with either a rebuy or a lammer concept in case something went wrong and someone misunderstood the rules/game and stacked themselves. Either works well but the lammers make it slightly more serious than a straight up low cost rebuy tourney.

Sat. Mar. 17 - Doors open at 1 pm

Food: Chinese delivery

1:30 pm Mixed March Maddness $80 tournament

Tourney rules:

The Circus Games:

For $80, you will receive $50,000 in chips.
Chips will distributed as follows: $10, 000 in chips, 2 $20k lammers, which can each be exchanged at any time for $20, 000 tourney chips. The lammers are not in play until exchanged for tourney chips. After four levels (one level of each game) all remaining lammers will be exchanged for chips and the tourney will continue until we have our Mixed March Maddness Champion!

Players paid by 1:20 pm will receive $50,000 in chips. Players not paid by 1:20 pm will receive $45,000. For an optional additional $5, late players will receive a full stack.

Circus Games Tourney!!!!!!
Sat May 20
Doors open 12:30 pm, Cards in the air 1pm

$5 rebuy

Chips to be flying everywhere. $5 gets you 1000 chips. You may rebuy at 1000 chips or less. Optional $5000 chip addon at the end of 4 levels for $10

Levels will be 20 minutes with the game continuing until we have a champion. Up to 4 tables.

Tourney rules:

The Circus Games:

If you want to try out the some Circus games that we normally play in our cash games, in a lower risk tourney format - then this tourney is for you.

If you make a mistake or get sucked out on, it is only $5 to rebuy and try again. If you prefer your poker serious, you may wish to wait for another time.

After four levels (one level of each game) the rebuys will end and the tourney will continue until we have our Circus Games Champion!
I really like the lammers and low rebuy ideas. Sounds like a great way to get a fair amount of play while keeping the $ pain of learning low. How long are your levels and how long do these tourneys typically run? Do you notice that the rebuy or lammer structure runs longer than the other?

Appreciate all the info in this thread. I'm trying to get my group to branch out from hold em too and worried if I botch the first try they may not be too open for a second try.

Appreciate all the info in this thread. I'm trying to get my group to branch out from hold em too and worried if I botch the first try they may not be too open for a second try.
If that's the case, then you might want to warm them up to the idea first by using cash games and adding a few orbits of one or two new games rather than dropping a bucketful of them all at once in a tournament.

Played at a friends game last night. It’s historically been a .25/.25 Holdem cash game with one hand of Omaha every 15 minutes. (This was to appease me mostly). To my amazement several others asked about playing a full orbit of Omaha, 7 Card Stud, Crazy Pinneaple as well. It was a lot of fun. Hopefully this trend continues and builds.

Played at a friends game last night. It’s historically been a .25/.25 Holdem cash game with one hand of Omaha every 15 minutes. (This was to appease me mostly). To my amazement several others asked about playing a full orbit of Omaha, 7 Card Stud, Crazy Pinneaple as well. It was a lot of fun. Hopefully this trend continues and builds.

Some solid gateway drugs to more mixed games

Some solid gateway drugs to more mixed games
I'm hoping so. I want to see some 2-7 Single and Triple Draw included as well in the future.

We played 7 Card Stud as Pot Limit and a .25 ante. So it played pretty big for us with the extra round of betting. I'll suggest a dealer ante in the future for that game. I didn't mind it being pot limit even though its a game designed for limit. Still allows for bluffing opportunities.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom