Cash Game Mixed Games DEFCON Scale? (1 Viewer)

ZirjoGondar

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I'm starting a friendly neighborhood mixed game with mostly noobs and rusty players. I'll start them off with 10c/20c fixed limit HORSE to keep it fairly simple and try to limit the swings to $20.

If all goes well, I’d like to gradually expand the offerings to WSOP's 8-game mix, 10-game mix, and finally Dealer's Choice.

Looking ahead, I plan to use 3d3p's mixed game dice to help indecisive dealers, color coordinating the die panels to matching mixed game plaques to help keep everyone on the same page. As we're all inexperienced players, I thought using DEFCON colors for the dice and plaques would be fun for this crew of mostly ex-military guys--and help us recognize which games play bigger than others.

Please help me figure out which games should be displayed in which colors.

DEFCON 1, white (wildest/biggest pots)
DEFCON 2, red
DEFCON 3, yellow
DEFCON 4, green
DEFCON 5, blue (tamest/smallest pots)
If too complicated or subjective, three categories might work better. I'm wide open to suggestions.

Games (my best guess)

NLHE (DEFCON 2/red)
NL 5C Draw (2/red)
NL 2-7 Single Draw (2/red)
PLO (1/white)
PL Omaha 8 (1/white)
PL Big O (1/white)
PL 2-7 Triple Draw (2/red)
PL Holdem
FL Holdem (5/blue)
FL Omaha (5/blue)
FL Omaha 8 (5/blue)
FL Razz (4/green)
FL 7C Stud Hi (4/green)
FL 7C Stud 8 (4/green)
FL 7C Stud Hi/Lo (4/green)
FL 2-7 Triple Draw (5/blue)
EDIT: Forgot...
FL A-5 Triple Draw (5/blue)
FL Badugi (5/blue)
FL Badeucey (5/blue)
FL Badacey (5/blue)

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Not even once. Sounds like a blast. Can't wait to try it. So I'm now guessing it's closer to DEFCON 1.
My point being that of all the limit games, triple draw games have the biggest pots and tend to have good action.

I like the DEFCON ideal, and I like its setup correctly; My first thought was it correlated to the difficulty of the game, or how gamble-y it was.

Welcome!
Click Here
(mobile landscape)
|
|
\/​

Don't know too much about your players, but straight into HORSE for noobs sounds like a challenge.

I successfully ran a fixed limit game with noobs after the COVID lockdown was lifted. We started with hold'em only and after a 4 games or so incorporated pineapple and omaha too. Here's what worked for my group:

- .25/.50 blinds
- .50/$1 fixed bets
- 3 bets max per street to keep swings down.

I asked each player to bring $40 for the night and communicated expected wins/losses to be about $20.

The largest loss/win for one player in a night was -$35/+$45. Those were outliers and most of the time people were up/down between $10 and $30.

Last edited:
I like the DEFCON ideal, and I like its setup correctly; My first thought was it correlated to the difficulty of the game, or how gamble-y it was.

Thanks, DeusEx. I'm trying to gauge how gamble-y the different games are and provide a kind of warning system.

Don't know too much about your players, but straight into HORSE for noobs sounds like a challenge.

These guys are all used to the games we played in high school like Follow the Queen, Anaconda, Baseball, etc. They just haven't played in a long time. So I think HORSE will be okay for them. I cut my teeth on $1/$3 Limit 7C Stud in Vegas and Tahoe in the 80s and 90s before the Holdem explosion. I haven't played that much since those days, and never read a poker book. Like me, the bigger challenge for them will likely be Holdem and Omaha.

Thanks for your advice on the stakes, SteveEH. 3 Bet max is probably a good idea for us. I wasn't sure whether to go 10c/20c limits or a little higher. I don't want to scare anyone off after the first game. From your experience, it sounds like it will be safe for us to start at 10c/25c blinds and 25c/50c limits. We can always go up from there once everyone is comfortable.

These guys are all used to the games we played in high school like Follow the Queen, Anaconda, Baseball, etc.

Those were the days! I just hosted a game with my high school friends that played those types of games back in the day, and migrated to hold'em when the boom hit in the early 00s. I was the only one to call and old game - Chicago high spread limit .25-$5.

Sounds like your crew will get back into the old games...enjoy!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom