Cash Game Mixed blinds for HA? (1 Viewer)

Use 2 different blinds for mixed PLO/ Hold'em game?

• Play 25/50c for PLO and 50c/$1 for Hold'em

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • That is annoying, just play the same blinds.

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters

Rhodeman77

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I am going to have a HA (Hold'em and PLO) game. We play from the top of the hour until 25 minutes past of Hold'em then the rest of the hour (35 minutes) of PLO.

When we play just Hold'em it is typically $1/1 with a $200 or $300 max buy in.

My last PLO only game was 25/50c and it went well and brought in some new players with the small blinds.

Most of the players aren't very good at PLO and over value hands as typical Hold'em players do that don't play much PLO.

So I was thinking of having the blinds for PLO be 25/50c as a way to help keep the pot size down preflop at least and playing Hold'em as 50c/$1 since the quarters will be on the table anyways.

Do you think this will help with the PLO or just be annoying having two different blind sizes?

Make it a poll. I think your over thinking it. It'll probably be more of a pain in the ass having two different blinds. Make it all .5/1

When is said game?

I think it's a fine idea and I doubt it will be a bother at all. I'm not sure it will make much of a difference though. Pot, Pot, Pot pretty much equals all in regardless of the blinds.

I think it's a fine idea and I doubt it will be a bother at all. I'm not sure it will make much of a difference thought. Pot, Pot, Pot Mother****** , pretty much equals all in regardless of the blinds.

FYP for @MatB

I disagree. If players are deep enough then the game shouldn't go like that. At least ours don't. Accept for the occasional hand with @WedgeRock I potted it. He repotted it. Before he could finish what he was saying I rerepotted it. 400 dollar chopped pot lol.

I think it's a fine idea and I doubt it will be a bother at all. I'm not sure it will make much of a difference thought. Pot, Pot, Pot pretty much equals all in regardless of the blinds.

3 bets are very rare with this group preflop. I'm one of the few that will. After the flop anything is possible!

When it pot, pot, pot it usually nuts chopping or monster draw vs current nuts.

FYP for @MatB

I disagree. If players are deep enough then the game shouldn't go like that. At least ours don't. Accept for the occasional hand with @WedgeRock I potted it. He repotted it. Before he could finish what he was saying I rerepotted it. 400 dollar chopped pot lol.

Every Omaha game I've ever played has been like that. Which is why PLO scares the hell out of me.
But now that I think about it, @MatB has been at a few of those games. Hmmm . . .

Every Omaha game I've ever played has been like that. Which is why PLO scares the hell out of me.
But now that I think about it, @MatB has been at a few of those games. Hmmm . . .

Now you have your answer :) He does like to play big pot poker.

We usually end up with bigger pots with weaker holdings in Hold'em than PLO. Meaning that the PLO pots that the made hands are mediocre they don't get blown up or bluffed at much like the could in Hold'em. That is just from being more comfortable with Hold'em and knowing spots to bluff or when second pair is the best hand.

Its not so much that changing the blinds is annoying or confusing... But I'd suggest playing at the lower of the two levels that your players are comfortable with (I assume that's PLO). If they want to play NHLE higher, there will be raises. Water seeks its own level.

Different blinds don't bother me personally. However, I would implement a cap on the PLO side, even with smaller blinds. In order to play decent hold'em, stacks would have to be deep, and at a higher blind level, that would mean even deeper PLO stacks... So I would cap PLO at $100 or something like that... If late at night people are more comfortable, you could remove the cap if all are in agreement...

Different blinds don't bother me personally. However, I would implement a cap on the PLO side, even with smaller blinds. In order to play decent hold'em, stacks would have to be deep, and at a higher blind level, that would mean even deeper PLO stacks... So I would cap PLO at $100 or something like that... If late at night people are more comfortable, you could remove the cap if all are in agreement...

That is a great idea.

Caps suck. To be play PLO properly you have to be freerolling for stacks otherwise you will never be able to get naked made hands to fold.

Caps suck. To be play PLO properly you have to be freerolling for stacks otherwise you will never be able to get naked made hands to fold.

Do not disagree with you. However, we are talking about brand new PLO players and trying to mitigate some of the risks inherent to the game. Lowering the blinds and playing 500BB deep doesn't do that too well imo.

Now you have your answer :) He does like to play big pot poker.

I like to play. Play for 5cent/10cent?. I'm there, Might not fold as much but i'll enjoy it either way.:)

The funny thing is, at the Denver meet up we were playing .25/.50 circus games with $100 buy-in. and it never really got too crazy over the 3 day period.

I've never played with a cap, would it be the betting on any street is capped at $100?

So if 5 people see a flop at $4 making the pot $20. On the flop there is a $20 bet and a two calls, the next person to act would only be able to bet $100 total, not $120 and all the betting ends? Then on the turn and river the max bet would be $100 with no option to raise if that amount is bet?

I could see some benefit to this, but I think it would add even more confusion to a game most of these guys have just a basic understanding of as is.

I've never played with a cap, would it be the betting on any street is capped at $100?

So if 5 people see a flop at $4 making the pot $20. On the flop there is a $20 bet and a two calls, the next person to act would only be able to bet $100 total, not $120 and all the betting ends? Then on the turn and river the max bet would be $100 with no option to raise if that amount is bet?

I could see some benefit to this, but I think it would add even more confusion to a game most of these guys have just a basic understanding of as is.

Adding more confusion is a possibility... If they are already Hold'em players though, it shouldn't be a huge problem...

The cap would be effective only when playing PLO and what it does is basically making effective stacks capped at $100. So the total cumulative max bet any player can make would be $100 (or whatever the cap is)

It is easy to keep track: Let's say someone opens for $3 and someone pots for $10 and gets called (number of callers is irrelevant). So there's a remaining cap of $90 for the other streets. Flop someone bets $20 and gets called. Cap is $70 for the other streets. Someones makes $50 on the turn, there's only a $20 cap available for a raise to $70.

Last edited:
One of the mixed games I used to deal regularly used this structure:

Pot-Limit games - 25c/50c blinds
No-Limit games - $1/$2 blinds
Limit games - $5/$10 bets with $2/$5 blinds
Stud games - $5/$10 bets with $1 ante/$3 bring-in

Dealer's choice from a preset menu with optional Kill, one orbit per called game with no back-to-back repeats. House rules allowed up to two straddles.

Biggest pots of the night were nearly always in the Pot-Limit games. Was always a fun and profitable game to deal, lots of maniacs.

One of the mixed games I used to deal regularly used this structure:

Pot-Limit games - 25c/50c blinds
No-Limit games - $1/$2 blinds
Limit games - $5/$10 bets with $2/$5 blinds
Stud games - $5/$10 bets with $1 ante/$3 bring-in

Dealer's choice from a preset menu with optional Kill, one orbit per called game with no back-to-back repeats. House rules allowed up to two straddles.

Biggest pots of the night were nearly always in the Pot-Limit games. Was always a fun and profitable game to deal, lots of maniacs.

That game sounds like my ideal dream scenario. I'm a bit surprised that Pot Limit would play the biggest due to how small the blinds were compared to the other games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom