Milling - How many extras (1 Viewer)

JustDave

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
When getting chips milled do some 'fail'? If I want a rack of milled chips should I plan on x% of extras?

When getting chips milled do some 'fail'? If I want a rack of milled chips should I plan on x% of extras?
Depends. Good condition paulsons, none should break. Older dryer ASMs, expect 1-2 per rack.... They can get fragile. If you go slow and don't force it, there should not be any issues....

Depends on how good ya are at centering the bit to the chips.

It takes me many xtra's to get the centering right, every time I change chip types.

I air on the side of 2-3 racks

MOAR chips please!

But in all seriousness that’s about how many chip I feel comfortable when I do the job. @Josh Kifer is the expert and certainly way better than me, though.

Once or twice out of 3000 chips I accidentally dropped a chip side first into the router bit. But I gave myself 10% extras just in case. In the end I just swapped out the worse 10% chips as my "display" extras. Otherwise no fails of note.

(I check my centering on a throwaway extra chip that's not really worth anything. It can also be done on plastic.)

I understand some of what it takes to do the milling but I'm not really equipped for it nor do I have the inclination to be so I'll likely farm it out. I think the approach of 10% extra and that gives you extras to select 'the best' for what you need.

I understand some of what it takes to do the milling but I'm not really equipped for it nor do I have the inclination to be so I'll likely farm it out. I think the approach of 10% extra and that gives you extras to select 'the best' for what you need.
If not needed, make sample sets and people will buy them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom