Cash Game Micro cash game set - chip breakdown 5-600 chipset (1 Viewer)

KristanG

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi guys!
First of all, I want to thank you for an amazing forum. I am a novice in all aspects of poker, but I really appreciate all the great content. Ranging from bad beat stories to implementing RFID in a table as a hobby project.

I made a thread some odd years ago, regarding chip set but never pulled the trigger. My interest in poker awoken, and it's time for a poker night with some friends and neighbours. As I'm foreign to you, my currency is 1/10 of a $. So we will be playing what is equivalent to $.1/.2 or $.2/.5, but with denominations as $1/2 and $2/5

I'm buying chips broken down to singles, so I'm not locked into buying minimum 25 of any piece. I know most of you prefer loads of work horse chips in play, but being honest, I will probably be hosting this 6-8 times per year, and don't think I can justify buying an enormous amount of work horses.

Anyway, I've been playing with the poker chip calculator and looking through other threads on the same or similar topic. Here's what I've concluded to be an OK number of chips:

1 x 200
5 x 200
25 x 50
100 x 40
500 x 10

Giving a total bank of 11450. Remember, 1/10 of USD.
A start stack for 1/2 would be: 15/12/10/0/0
A start stack for 2/5 would be: 10/13/9/2/0

This is a self dealt game with no rake.
I'm very open to feedback, and will wait a couple days before I press the "buy" button on the chips.
Edit: We will play mostly NLHE, if that has any thing to say for the chip breakdown.

Welcome (back) neighbor! I play the same stakes but in SEK obv. Would suggest getting more of the bigger denoms. My sets have a minimum of

1 x 200
5 x 200
25 x 200
100 x 100

And then they’ll have (mostly for future proofing):

40-60 x 500
20-40 x 1000

Hi guys!
First of all, I want to thank you for an amazing forum. I am a novice in all aspects of poker, but I really appreciate all the great content. Ranging from bad beat stories to implementing RFID in a table as a hobby project.

I made a thread some odd years ago, regarding chip set but never pulled the trigger. My interest in poker awoken, and it's time for a poker night with some friends and neighbours. As I'm foreign to you, my currency is 1/10 of a $. So we will be playing what is equivalent to $.1/.2 or $.2/.5, but with denominations as $1/2 and $2/5

I'm buying chips broken down to singles, so I'm not locked into buying minimum 25 of any piece. I know most of you prefer loads of work horse chips in play, but being honest, I will probably be hosting this 6-8 times per year, and don't think I can justify buying an enormous amount of work horses.

Anyway, I've been playing with the poker chip calculator and looking through other threads on the same or similar topic. Here's what I've concluded to be an OK number of chips:

1 x 200
5 x 200
25 x 50
100 x 40
500 x 10

Giving a total bank of 11450. Remember, 1/10 of USD.
A start stack for 1/2 would be: 15/12/10/0/0
A start stack for 2/5 would be: 10/13/9/2/0

This is a self dealt game with no rake.
I'm very open to feedback, and will wait a couple days before I press the "buy" button on the chips.
Edit: We will play mostly NLHE, if that has any thing to say for the chip breakdown.
For me, maths at the end of a long poker session with alcohol was not fun. I dumped my conversion set (1/10th like yours) for a proper micro-set starting with 10¢.

I do use a Lithuanian 25 as a quarter in a limit set, but that’s easy.

Something to consider if you’re planning to convert at cash-out.

A 1/2 starting stack of 15/12/10/0/0 doesn't make much sense to me regardless of whether it's NOK or USD. That would be:
15 x 1 = 15
12 x 5 = 60
10 x 25 = 250
For a total starting stack of 325. I mean if you want to make sure your crew bring change to make cashing out easier, go for it... :)

My advice is to think about the blinds & buy ins and go from there. 100 Big Blinds is a good place to start. In a 1/2 game for you that would be NOK200 but the advice would be the same regardless of the stake or currency. A starting stack adding up to 200 would be 10/18/4 Then you can re-buy in 25s and 100s chips.
If you want more 1s on the table, that's up to you, but keep the total starting stack of 200. (And bear in mind that if you put 200 1s on the table, someone will end up with 150 of them and make multiple streets of $29 bets all in singles because they are drunk and think it's funny and I'm never putting that many out again... LOL)

For 2/5 look for a starting stack of 500. Probably something like 10/18/16 - which probably means you need to up the amount of 25s in your set if you are serious about running this stake (and I would lower the 1s if you want to keep the total number of chips the same). Keep the 100 & 500 for rebuys.

Does that make sense?

Wops, was a typo regarding the 1/2. Should've been 15/12/5 for a start stack of 100bb. I'll reply more later

Starting stacks for a 1/2 cash game doesnt need 25s, and I wouldnt go more than 10 1s. the 1s are basically going to be blind chips, and the dealer can make change every hand. The first raise is a 5, so then everything becomes multiple of 5s. THAT is why you need mostly "workhorse" chips. You're never going to need $500 chips. $100 are rare to see and only used a wealth-store chips to keep the workhorses in play.

Starting stacks for a 1/2 cash game doesnt need 25s, and I wouldnt go more than 10 1s. the 1s are basically going to be blind chips, and the dealer can make change every hand. The first raise is a 5, so then everything becomes multiple of 5s. THAT is why you need mostly "workhorse" chips. You're never going to need $500 chips. $100 are rare to see and only used a wealth-store chips to keep the workhorses in play.
Exactly this. Even if someone throws out a 12 bet there’s enough change in the pot to call with 3x5s. It’s a little counter intuitive, but more 1s ends up slowing the game down imho.

The 500s can be a wealth store in the 2/5 game - especially if it plays big one night. And… moar chips.

Ok, so now I've actually got some time to type. Thanks for all the feedback, guys! Seems like there is an overall agreement to lower the amount of 1's, so I'll do that.

@warma Luckily, there will be no conversion as our stake is perfect for playing with dollar chips. So $1 chip would be 1NOK, which equals to $0.1.

@Kentucky Yea, good points there regarding too many of the lowest denomintation. Regarding drunk people, I was actually at another home game yesterday, and it got ugly. One guy was constantly harassing the other players, and the host punched him quite hard in the shoulder. I cashed out went home. At a $20NL :p

@Eriks Seems like you have quite a large bank with all those higher denom. chips. What would be a typical amount of cash at the table for you? At the above mentioned home game, we bought in for NOK 200-350 playing 7 handed, so somewhere at the 2500NOK mark I guess.

Seems like you have quite a large bank with all those higher denom. chips. What would be a typical amount of cash at the table for you? At the above mentioned home game, we bought in for NOK 200-350 playing 7 handed, so somewhere at the 2500NOK mark I guess.
Yes, and like I said, they’re mostly for future proofing. We typically get some 500s in play but not very many. It all depends on how your game plays and if people are willing to drop multiple buy-ins or not.

Most we’ve ever had on the table was at our latest 8-handed 2/5 game with 500-1000 buy-ins, where we had 22600. We’re usually closer to max 15000 though.

I’m learning new ways of doing things…

Rack of fracs
Racks of 1’s (2 for us)
Barrels of 5’s (3 also does it for us)
Barrel of 20’s ( 2 makes a clean rack)

400 chips’ll do it.

If there's no rake or tips, I feel you can easily get by with 100x of your smallest denom since they'll be used mainly for the blinds only.
I would trade 100 x 1 to have 300 x 5 - you can always buy more 1s and you'll get the 5s in play

So, I inherited a generic betting company sponsor set, like 10% more sophisticated than standard dice chips. But hey, non of my planned poker attendees are remotely interested in this. (I also contacted a seller for some EPT Ceramics to see what they would cost. Same 500pc set as below will be minimum $400 with shipping and tax). Anyway, this is what I got: 325 greens, 145 reds, 116 yellows, 111 blacks, 76 blues.

From that I plan on relabeling real cheap and make a cash set that deviates from the normal colors (I really had to think long and hard before accepting 5's to be green, but for only the price of the labels (which would be ~$100), I think it's worth it. I dont have any table yet either, so this is a project I can do in the evenings while watching TV.

The base set will be 500 chips, but since I have a lot of greens, I'll label most of them, atleast 300.
Yellow 1: 100
Green 5: 250
Red 25: 100
Black 100: 45
Blue 500: 5

Totalling for 10850.
I got a spare case also, so might use some of the spare to make two more spots(barrels??) for more chips, making it a 600pc set.

I would actually make the red 5 and the green 25. More of a standard color scheme and you'll get way more mileage that way.

The $5 workhorse is a real thing, but you are playing 1/10 currency stakes so your 25 is a better workhorse.

I would actually make the red 5 and the green 25. More of a standard color scheme and you'll get way more mileage that way.

The $5 workhorse is a real thing, but you are playing 1/10 currency stakes so your 25 is a better workhorse.
I just browsed the local equivalent of Craigs List, and found more of the same chips I got for free. Different inlay of course, but if Im changing them anyway, I can build a super cheap set with red 5's, and then of course making the greens 25. That would be a much better option.

The set for sale was
Grey 1 - 300
Red 5 - 300
Green 25 - 200
Blue 50 - 100
Black 100 - 100.

This set even has the denominations correct, so I might re-evaluate the labelprocess for another time.

So the next process if this goes well (meaning it's not a scam) is buying/building a table!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom