Matsui Racks...why? (1 Viewer)

mnebesny

Flush
Reaction score
So, what's the advantage of Matsui-style racks? Right now I have most of my 39mm chips in nice tight Paulson 24010/ChipCo racks, and my 1 rack of 43mms in a "suits" mold rack. The Matsui racks seem to be popular, and Apache has they're own version now, but I just don't see the hype. I haven't "gotten samples" yet, just wondering what the benefits are?

How much do they support the chips against warping? The ChipCo racks are fairly tight to keep the chips upright and pressed together.
39mm (and 43mm) are pretty loose; nowhere near as tight as my Chipcos ... but that doesn't cause warping...

I actually was looking at these as well. Does anyone have the dimensions of these? I wonder how they compare to the bud jones boxes.

If they are similar and will fit in my Nanuk 910, I may get some and order 43mm Tournament chips instead of 39mm that fit the bud jones boxes I already have

I recently just converted from the Paulson 39mm racks to Matsui racks.

I don't have any oversized chips, but as mentioned above they'll hold both.

I like that they completely encase the chips and take the weight off of them when stacked. Also, with the open Paulson racks sometimes I find if you have dead mint chips, the rack above can sometimes get stuck onto the rack below. This obviously doesn't happen with the Matsui racks.

Finally, they're a lot nicer for display.

@One Eyed Dollar 3D prints bottom and side spacers for the Matsui and Apache racks that I'm planning on using for the first time.

I recently just converted from the Paulson 39mm racks to Matsui racks.

I don't have any oversized chips, but as mentioned above they'll hold both.

I like that they completely encase the chips and take the weight off of them when stacked. Also, with the open Paulson racks sometimes I find if you have dead mint chips, the rack above can sometimes get stuck onto the rack below. This obviously doesn't happen with the Matsui racks.

Finally, they're a lot nicer for display.

@One Eyed Dollar 3D prints bottom and side spacers for the Matsui and Apache racks that I'm planning on using for the first time.
And he's from Colorado like me, I'll have to check out his stuff

I just got a set of the bottom inserts; they are really good; chips don’t move laterally anymore; planning to order more.

Also is good to consider the @Apache racks vs Matsui since they have the little stops (I don’t know how they are called) for the 39 mm that stop some side to side movement.

Does anyone have examples of chip damage from weight of other chips? I may have to order a ton of these if it is significant.

Why don’t more people store their chips flat, instead of on edge? I hear the “can’t see them” argument, but your storing them. Can’t see them in Warneke boxes either. I’m also leery about storing those boxes on their side because the chips aren’t flat, they are at an angle because of the thickness of the box.
This concept is what I’m talking about.

760FC536-B949-412F-A232-55284123A716.png

Why don’t more people store their chips flat, instead of on edge? I hear the “can’t see them” argument, but your storing them. Can’t see them in Warneke boxes either. I’m also leery about storing those boxes on their side because the chips aren’t flat, they are at an angle because of the thickness of the box.
This concept is what I’m talking about.

View attachment 656440
Harder to get out, needs a cover for dust, less efficient use it space, can't stack.

Edit: I do like that old school charm though...

Harder to get out, needs a cover for dust, less efficient use it space, can't stack.
What? It’s a box of chips same as any other. That’s a CONCEPT, which means I was just demonstrating the stacking flat, not the wood, not the handle, not the color of the wood. By your above definition Matsui racks shouldn’t be used, because they require a cover just to stack, they take up more room, and they are hard to get out because of their light flimsy construction.

What? It’s a box of chips same as any other. That’s a CONCEPT, which means I was just demonstrating the stacking flat, not the wood, not the handle, not the color of the wood. By your above definition Matsui racks shouldn’t be used, because they require a cover just to stack, they take up more room, and they are hard to get out because of their light flimsy construction.
Hah, ok, so one thing about the plastic chip racks is that they are very light. So when you stack them they really don't add to the weight.

Yes, conceivably you could make a carrier not out of wood that could stack and hold the chips vertically instead of horizontally. But the issue is you'd have to always store them in the perimeter. You could never use the center. that means that they're taller more than they are wide and therefore they would have stacking issues.

You could never use the center. that means that they're taller more than they are wide and therefore they would have stacking issues.
Your not very creative are you? Stuck in a “grandpa did it that way” mindset. You get hung up on the wood instead of the concept. I’m surprised you didn’t mention the white background, because not everyone has white walls.
You don’t have to be constrained by “20 to a barrel, five barrels deep”. You can make it shorter but wider, you can make it longer or narrower, really it’s possible to change the design to make something sturdy but stores chips flat. It really is, I’ve seen engineers change the dimensions of different objects in real life and they are manufactured great.
The concept is storing them flat. I put that picture in because I figured people wouldn’t understand “flat”. You proved me right. You also proved that you can’t educate an idiot.

Your not very creative are you? Stuck in a “grandpa did it that way” mindset. You get hung up on the wood instead of the concept. I’m surprised you didn’t mention the white background, because not everyone has white walls.
You don’t have to be constrained by “20 to a barrel, five barrels deep”. You can make it shorter but wider, you can make it longer or narrower, really it’s possible to change the design to make something sturdy but stores chips flat. It really is, I’ve seen engineers change the dimensions of different objects in real life and they are manufactured great.
The concept is storing them flat. I put that picture in because I figured people wouldn’t understand “flat”. You proved me right. You also proved that you can’t educate an idiot.
Feel free to come up with a concept in CAD that shows how you can effectively store and remove chips vertically in the same space as a birdcage while maintaining balance in the storage unit.

I'm not stuck on the wood... Actually pointed out that you can use different material. Thanks for calling me an idiot. I'll absolutely make sure that I let everyone on PCF know that you're right when you come up with a groundbreaking design and make millions of dollars. Just ping me here when that happens.

Feel free to come up with a concept in CAD that shows how you can effectively store and remove chips vertically in the same space as a birdcage while maintaining balance in the storage unit.

I'm not stuck on the wood... Actually pointed out that you can use different material. Thanks for calling me an idiot. I'll absolutely make sure that I let everyone on PCF know that you're right when you come up with a groundbreaking design and make millions of dollars. Just ping me here when that happens.
Dude, CAD doesn’t have crayon drawing ability so not sure you could understand anything drawn in it.
It’s just an idea. People have them, I know that’s a foreign thing to you, but it’s true.

Dude, CAD doesn’t have crayon drawing ability so not sure you could understand anything drawn in it.
It’s just an idea. People have them, I know that’s a foreign thing to you, but it’s true.
Wow - actually, TinkerCAD does. So do your research.

I don't know why you're hating so much. I simply think that the balance/ease-of-use/visibility/practicality of vertically stored chips doesn't pan out. That's why we don't see them. I answered your question and you fire back with personal insults. Maybe someone has something we've never seen before that fits your idea; who knows - that's why you ask the questions. But come on - no need to be a dick.

So glad I used the ignore feature for the first time last night.

So glad I used the ignore feature for the first time last night.
I wasn't trying to be rude or anything; was just answering the question why I thought it hadn't been done. The only time we see vertical storage is with wood cases that don't have covers normally and have like 100 to 200 chips at most. Yes, you can expand on the idea, but I don't think it works b/c of the weight/height ratio if you try to not have dead space in the middle.

I wasn't trying to be rude or anything; was just answering the question why I thought it hadn't been done. The only time we see vertical storage is with wood cases that don't have covers normally and have like 100 to 200 chips at most. Yes, you can expand on the idea, but I don't think it works b/c of the weight/height ratio if you try to not have dead space in the middle.
Oh I know. Just to be clear, I was ignoring him, not you. So much unnecessary aggression and anger. Sad really.

Just saying, 100 chips stacked flat takes up less room than 100 chips on edge. And I don’t think there’s any top heavy action with this layout. And this works with other chips too, not just green Yakamas.
Same width and length space
You don’t need the space under the existing rack anymore for stacking so you can lose that space x5 for stacking in a birdcage.

9EA64F1B-371E-413A-A2AC-F32A44D5FC06.jpeg

Just saying, 100 chips stacked flat takes up less room than 100 chips on edge. And I don’t think there’s any top heavy action with this layout. And this works with other chips too, not just green Yakamas.
Same width and length space
You don’t need the space under the existing rack anymore for stacking so you can lose that space x5 for stacking in a birdcage.

View attachment 656492
Thanks for that post! Yes, I can see your idea here, but I still think that when you surround them with plastic and add a thicker bottom so they don't fall out, it will push them higher than the horizontal ones. As you add more plastic, it takes up more space. Also, now it sucks to get them out; twice as much work (maybe more considering that you have to fully remove the rack to get them all out.

I think that if these existed and the Matsui's didn't, people would probably buy them. But then, once the Matsui/Apache racks came out, I think people would flock to them for their ease of use over this design.

I think the matsui racks look pretty good for storage. They are a little rough to use during gameplay, so I take the chips I plan to use out of matsui racks and put them in regular racks as part of the setup

This is mixed 39/40/43 mm and all stored uniformly

C02B706B-3099-43F0-9A08-926FD360EA7C.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom