Making my own resin buttons (1 Viewer)

jja412

Full House
Reaction score
Well, I am working on making new buttons this week. Poured some resin last night, first a layer of white dyed with white sparkles, then back 4 hours later to add a clear layer with little bits of Paulson THC clay.
20210816_174033.jpg
20210816_174041.jpg

Next, we make some vinyl logos on the wife's new Cricut. They are so small, it takes a good deal of effort to "weed" them. Then we apply to the button.
20210816_174953.jpg

Tonight, I'm going to "dome" the colored side with clear resin. After that cures, I'll apply a label to the white side, then dome it to finish the job.
20210816_175202.jpg

20210816_175209.jpg

Cool thing happened coincidentally: one of the chip fragments still had some hotstamp intact:
20210816_174110.jpg

I'll be back in a few days with some final pics.

Last edited:
these are fantastic! get some different molds and make some $500 or $1k jetons or plaques in the same style to add to your set. Would be a nice surprise for one of those nights when the game gets big.

Probably could be a vendor here making custom plaques/buttons/jetons! really well done

Probably could be a vendor here making custom plaques/buttons/jetons! really well done
Thanks for the compliments!
I'm not sure about making jetons or plaques...being handmade, they don't come out to uniform thickness.
That would tilt the living crap out of me if the stack sizes were all over the place.

Last edited:
ahh ya that makes sense. You might be able to set up a sanding jig to make them a uniform height, but then would need to buff and polish every one as well. Leave some slight crosshatching on the bottoms so they stack a little better. Probably not worth all the extra hassle unless you already have all the tools already

ahh ya that makes sense. You might be able to set up a sanding jig to make them a uniform height, but then would need to buff and polish every one as well. Leave some slight crosshatching on the bottoms so they stack a little better. Probably not worth all the extra hassle unless you already have all the tools already
Yes, whenever I've made an error doming (added too much resin on top) it flows down the side and gets on the other face of the button. Then I have to wet sand it down gradually from 100 to 6000 grit, then polish to get that shiny appearance back. It's a pain that I don't want to endure for every single piece made.

I love the design of this.... my previous experimentations with resin pouring notwithstanding... I may try this for the dealer buttons if I end up starting my cardroom... What are you using as a mold to pour the resin into?

I love the design of this.... my previous experimentations with resin pouring notwithstanding... I may try this for the dealer buttons if I end up starting my cardroom... What are you using as a mold to pour the resin into?
Coaster silicone molds. Approximately 60mm.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom