Tourney League during COVID-19? Points and fees. (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
Converting my next league tournament to online as many of you are/have done. A few questions below though I'm curious on everyone's take on. The "Players Championship" was supposed to be next month (April). We usually take a $10 fee out of each initial buy in of each season tournament to go to the Players Championship prize pool and our next (and last) regular season tournament is scheduled for a few days from now - just converted to online.

As poker people tend to do, after I told everyone how this was going to work, I have a bunch of players sharing their unsolicited thoughts about how this should work. There's varying circumstances as some folks have been impacted with furloughs/job losses, and some don't have a laptop/desktop to play on (insert poker software here), one who "doesn't want to play online because it's a different game", one who is off the grid and refuses to do electronic funds transfer. That said, I still have a "normal" turnout. Curious to get a consensus of fellow hosts on here.

Given current events...
1. Should this next tournament (replacing the scheduled tournament, just online) be considered a league event and have a fee for the prize pool per normal/accrue points for the season per normal?
2. For people who have moved away (and this is a chance to play with the group again) should I have a fee for the prize pool, given that they won't likely ever play with the group again and wouldn't play in the championship?
3. Delay the Championship tournament until it can be played live?

I’m moving online like nothing has happened. I will drop my hospitality fee as I don’t have food and beverage to cover, but I am still charging the ToC and POY fees.

I too have gotten grumbling but I pretty much stated that it is what it is. The online game will be the same format, structure (as close as possible) and point values.
However, with that said - I wouldn’t run a championship game online. I’d delay that until the ban on gatherings is lifted and just start next season using online - if that was the boat I was in.
Also - is allow and charge anyone from outside the physical group to play - it’s up to them if they want to donate the $20 to the league for the opportunity to take it down.

I didn’t address the job loss or furloughed guys. I guess the question is how many of them in your group are affected?

I’m moving online like nothing has happened. I will drop my hospitality fee as I don’t have food and beverage to cover, but I am still charging the ToC and POY fees.

I too have gotten grumbling but I pretty much stated that it is what it is. The online game will be the same format, structure (as close as possible) and point values.
However, with that said - I wouldn’t run a championship game online. I’d delay that until the ban on gatherings is lifted and just start next season using online - if that was the boat I was in.
Also - is allow and charge anyone from outside the physical group to play - it’s up to them if they want to donate the $20 to the league for the opportunity to take it down.
Taking this same approach. Our first online league game happened on the 14th and went very well. We won't do our "Final Table" until we can be in person as well.

Outsiders are welcome and they pay all the normal fees.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom