Last Set: Stick to the “best” or Gotta Catch ‘em All (1 Viewer)

The last set/project you’d work on will be...

• Different from your other sets

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Similar to a set you already own

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

markleteenie

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Philosophical situation:
I’m at a philosophical crossroads about what my next set/project will be. It got me thinking about set variety. (Sure - MOAR Chippes is usually the answer.)

I’m of the opinion that BCC MGK might be the best. Besides that, leaded THC is king. Personal opinion, YMMV.
I have BCC, leaded THC, non leaded THC, and ceramic sets already. My internal discussion is: Should I pursue a set type I “have” such as a leaded THC, or a different type to increase my set variety?

I’d be interested to hear what people think about this topic.

When you chip, do you find what is the “best” to you (such as leaded THC, BJ S7s, CPC, BCC, TRK, etc) and generally stick to that? Or if you have some of those, is your next set going to be something completely different?

Does this thinking change if you’re deciding about your LAST set?

Last Set: Stick to the “best” or Gotta Catch ‘em All?
Thoughts?

Reactions: 72o
Variety is the spice of life.

I have leaded THC, non leaded RHC, BCC Cigar and Snifter mold, BCC Web Mold, Sunfly Hybrids, and CPC CSQ and H-molds, with oversize 44mm A-mold and B diamond mold CPC's in the queue.

I do not have any duplicates in terms of molds when it comes to separate sets.

Does this thinking change if you’re deciding about your LAST set?

I don't understand that question?

I personally like a variety of different types of cash sets. Hence owning BCC, RHC, Ceramics, CPC, and of course TRK's. I also like oversized chips, giant inlays, solids, edge spot progressions, ect......

Basically, when deciding on my next set I normally try to make sure that it brings something "different" to the felt.

Clear vote for variety from me.
I have two custom CPC sets (A-mold), a mixed THC set (leaded and unleaded, custom-overlabelled) and a leaded solid THC hot-stamped set.
I also have, for rural travel use, a set of plastic slugged chips, custom-labelled though:LOL: :laugh:.
My ambition is my next (and probably last ) set to be a CPC HHR mold, hot-stamped.

I always look for something new, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's cheap enough to not matter.

Custom CPC cash
BJ v7 cash (sold)
RHC cash
Semi custom ChipCo tourney
Custom cards mold ceramic cash/tourney/travel
Custom Sun-Fly hybrid cash

At some point when I want to go custom again, I'll have to double dip, but I do what I can to try new things with what's available.

I mostly try to add something different as much as possible with each set.

I have 4 Paulson sets, each a little different in some way from each other.

BCC giant inlay limit set, 3 CPC customs, 2 A mold and one Diamond Square,

3 ceramic sets: one 43mm limit, one Cali colors, one mixed Chipco (value travel/loaner set)

I’m at the point now unless a set is better than a current set I have (and will replace it) or can offer something new that the other sets don’t cover already then I won’t add it to the collection.

Variety is the spice of life after all.

Last edited:
I mean adding something different is an awesome spice to life, but you can have variety inside of what you like already. If it was up to us we'd have 2 BCC sets for "variety" I think everyone should own a TRK set once in their life time but I also know theres not enough TRKs to go around these days. The great thing is you can rental a set like @detroitdad and if you dont love it recirculate it and start again!! Maybe consider CPC also? Depends on what your spice of life truly is

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom