Kinda Depressed (1 Viewer)

jdub

Pair
Reaction score
I just realized that I don't need all the chips that I want.

For my base case micro stakes cash game with one table, I only need nickel through through $5. Four chip denominations. That's it. I need less than 500 total chips. If I run a low stakes tournament, I only need to add a few $25 chips, maybe two barrels. The only reason I would need those is to tidy up the table and to avoid counting out lots of nickels, aka color up, perhaps for the last two to four players standing.

Or I could persuade myself into a special tournament set which several PCFers recommend on theses pages. I could go with T1000 to be a faux high roller. No reason to do that though except to justify buying another set.

Now if I bought a new house with sufficient room for a big tournament... I just realized I can buy more chips. Suddenly I'm happy again. Sadly, houses are more expensive than a small set of Paulsons in these parts.

One cool thing that has happened. As I started down the path of becoming a chipper, I realized the reason that the better players talk in terms of how many big blinds they have, rather than chips. Chip count is almost completely irrelevant. My local tavern game gets shorter and shorter stacked even though the chip count goes through the roof. Everyone starts with 75 bigs. The last few players are playing with 10 bigs. I held 150,000 chips which was only 6 bigs by that point. I went out in third place.

All of this is because of you guys. So thanks for that. I've been reading lots of old posts. There is a wealth of knowledge here.

One last thing. It's looking like Apache Pharaohs will be my first set. This after buying probably 30 sample sets.

Cards Mold Arias are still in the running. I love their simplicity. I prefer the script mold and the progressive art on the Pharaoh though. Love those Starlites too. So brightly colored and simple. Whoever designed the Starlites is pure effing genius. I think finding all my denominations in Starlite will be a treasure hunt in the second hand market. My number one chip choice probably changed ten times as a new batch of samples arrived in the mail.

Now if I bought a new house with sufficient room for a big tournament... I just realized I can buy more chips. Suddenly I'm happy again. Sadly, houses are more expensive than a small set of Paulsons in these parts.
Don't think you can only run a game at your house. My 2000 piece tournament set gets used at the union hall after the monthly meetings.

Sadly, houses are more expensive than a small set of Paulsons in these parts.
Only slightly - some of the Paulson sets are selling close to the price of a new car!

The cards mold are quite nice especially for the price. Keep an eye on the group buy thread as there will be another one this month. Also if you are in a hurry you can order direct and ship via air, though it does drive the price up a bit.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ramics-master-consolidated-info-thread.65544/

Having been a hobby collector through out my life, the worst thing to do in a Hobby is being a Bandwagon and to just follow and buy what the mass is buying and only to realize that you don't like that.

Finding, researching, thinking, sampling and collecting are all part and parcel of the hobby.

I just realized that I don't need all the chips that I want.
This hobby easily enables the collector mindset. Once you get interested in chips, and start reading the forum, and learn more about the subject, you suddenly realize that there's a whole world of different chips out there, far more variety than you had ever imagined when you first sat down to find some nice poker chips for your game.

If you just want some nice chips for your game, that's easy to find. There's plenty of good options for a range of budgets and they're all great; pick one and be done, then leave this place and don't look back.

If you want the best chips for your game, then you'll go through a cycle; you'll start with some nice ones, and then over time you'll find some other sets that you want to upgrade to, or rotate between. Eventually you might decide that you've found your favorites, and then you're done.

... but if you get the collector mindset, then there could be no end in sight.

I have eighteen sets. There's at least another twenty on my wishlist. My wishlist isn't happening any time soon, but it's there.

If you want to be a high roller, start at T5K. Then you've got tried and true T5 tourney structures, just multiply by 1000.

Heck, go all plaques if you want.
So, point - counterpoint:
"High roller" tournament sets are silly. Grown adults pretending they're playing for higher stakes than they are? It's just weird. I get it if you're trying to get the larger 43mm chips in play. But if you just want to see more zeros on the inlay, I don't get it.
Of course, do what you want at your game. And if you invite me, I'll appreciate the game and leave my opinions at home.

So, point - counterpoint:
"High roller" tournament sets are silly. Grown adults pretending they're playing for higher stakes than they are? It's just weird. I get it if you're trying to get the larger 43mm chips in play. But if you just want to see more zeros on the inlay, I don't get it.
Of course, do what you want at your game. And if you invite me, I'll appreciate the game and leave my opinions at home.
Counter to the Counter Point.
High Roller sets are actually the best value.
Why? 1k, 5k, 25k, 100k, 500k. All 4x or 5x jumps.

I'm also just trying to justify the 500-25k Starlite set that I bought as a 'sample' of the CM chips :D

Forgot to add... Pretty colors
1659970601074.png

Last edited:
Counter to the Counter Point.
High Roller sets are actually the best value.
Why? 1k, 5k, 25k, 100k, 500k. All 4x or 5x jumps.

I'm also just trying to justify the 500-25k Starlite set that I bought as a 'sample' of the CM chips :D
That's fair. I'd counter that you can do the same with 1, 5, 25, 100, 500 but I guess given the choice, I'd rather not use 1 chips in a tournament (even though I know, rationally, that there's no reason not to.)

Running with this line of reasoning. If you start at $.05, you get 7 "orders of magnitude" at 4x-5x before you run into that pesky $1000 chip with only a 2x jump. You can run a pretty big tourney with 7 denominations of chips; 10 tables by my noob figures.

All of this only matters if you are running a lot of tables, but it's nice to dream.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom