Cash Game Introducing a new variant (2 Viewers)

How did hi-lo go? In my experience, new players to hi-lo (including myself when I was one) tend to way overvalue weak lows and trap themselves for a lot of money.

It went fairly well. One or two confusing pots, but as we’re all new to PLO in any form, nobody was able to exploit the rather obvious weak moves we probably made :)

Things only get dicey when you have side pots combined with hi/lo. The solution Is usually fairly simple, but getting everyone to the point of understanding is a different story.

Top tip: if you got a more complex pot, just walk everyone through it step by step, starting with sidepots

If you resolve the last pot first, you can fold the losing hand and work your way back one sidepot at a time until all hands are resolved.

Hi/Lo: High hands first, check if there are Lo hands along the way, muck every Hi/Lo hand that gets beat along the way.
Don’t assume knowledge of any player at the table, state out loud what you’re doing and ask if there are questions after each resolved sidepot.

That way you get each sidepot resolved AND everyone is in the loop.

It’s a bit slow & tedious, but new players will thank you and no one will shy away from the more complex variants afterwards :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom