Cash Game Introducing 7 Card Stud (2 Viewers)

merkong

Flush
Reaction score
Working on a Sunday Friendly for next month (an afternoon micro session to cleanse the weekend poker palate) and planning on making it a mixed game of NLHE, Pineapple (one of our regulars won’t stop asking), and 7 Card Stud. I have a question…

Would this work or does it sound reasonable/right-ish?

.05 ante
.10 bring in
.20/.40 limit

Since there’s no blinds to base the buy-in on I’d probably keep it at $20 with our usual reload schedule.

I want to slowly open my players up to mixing it up (very slowly) and hence the Pineapple inclusion. Other ideas include Omaha (nothing fancy) since it plays much like NLHE, and Tahoe which also plays much like Pineapple and Omaha

I’ll only do mixed games during our Friendly’s and keep Friday and Saturday nights strictly NLHE.

So, the Stud game… That’ll work right?

Thanks for the feedback. I would love to get into Hi/Lo games someday. Most of my players came as new to poker and have played in a lot of the 49 sessions I’ve spread so they’re not so new anymore. To NLHE. But mixed games are a completely new experience. Hence the micro micro and the simpler of what’s out there.

I’ll keep the thread posted and thanks again.

When we do dealer calls it, I play 7 stud or 7 stud low chicago. Gets a lot of boos from my wild card game crew.
We’ll probably start with an hour or so of NLHE and then move into a couple of orbits of each of the other games. Once we make it through a few Freindlies like this we might just rotate orbits or even do a choice game.

If they are new to playing other games, it's great to start them off slowly. Just teaching someone how to read a low is a pain for their first few sessions.

But what about Draw games? Or Razz after they become comfortable with playing Stud. Stud Hi Lo is more fun than Stud 8 or Better with the opportunity for terrible lows to win.

I find that limit games with bets at 5x to 8x the NL/PL blinds you are used to playing at seem about right.
So if you are used to 5c/10c NL holdem games, that suggests limit bets of .25/.50 to .40/.80.
That multiplier is similar to the one used in WSOP mixed events that have both limit and NL/PL games in the rotation.

Working on a Sunday Friendly for next month (an afternoon micro session to cleanse the weekend poker palate) and planning on making it a mixed game of NLHE, Pineapple (one of our regulars won’t stop asking), and 7 Card Stud. I have a question…

.05 ante
.10 bring in
.20/.40 limit

Since there’s no blinds to base the buy-in on I’d probably keep it at $20 with our usual reload schedule.

I want to slowly open my players up to mixing it up (very slowly) and hence the Pineapple inclusion. Other ideas include Omaha (nothing fancy) since it plays much like NLHE, and Tahoe which also plays much like Pineapple and Omaha

I’ll only do mixed games during our Friendly’s and keep Friday and Saturday nights strictly NLHE.

Hey Merkon. Is Tahoe just three card Omaha if I may ask..?

Does anyone think that this wouldn’t be a viable option?
It's probably viable, but my issue any time we've tried to play something limit with guys used to playing NLHE is that my players are frustrated by the limit and want to be able to bet more, and that's a great way to make them hate limit poker, since it feels like a waste of time. The solution is to make the stakes slightly higher, since they can't ever really get out of control with the limit structure.
What stakes do you normally play? If you normally play .05/.10 then I would do minimum .05 ante, .10 bring in, .20/.40 limits, though closer to .10/.20/.40/.80 (or even .10/.25/.50/1) might work better if your guys have any gambol in them.
I guess you could also start with your micro-micro proposal and then see how everyone feels once they're comfortable with the game. It's really a matter of group psychology and what they're comfortable with, and it's hard to say that without knowing them.

I love Stud and wish it would get more play. Agree with the above about higher stakes if your players are used to NLHE because pots can actually build pretty high due to the number of betting rounds. For that reason though maybe gently is a better way to go.

7 Stud Hi/Lo 8 is a great game too, but get folks used to the regular pattern and play of the standard version.

.05 ante
.10 bring in
.20/.40 limit

1) You have my number, text me if this gets going please :).
2) For a $20 buy in you could probably push the limits to 40¢/80¢ and do 10¢ ante - 20¢ bring in. That's still 25 big bets which is a pretty standard buy in for limit play. Also this is probably better for your set that I know uses a lot of dimes :).

When live stud games were common at the track, $100 was a common buy in for 2/4 and even the occasional 3/6 limit (50¢ ante-$1 bring in), doing 40¢/80¢ stakes would just be dividing this by 5.

Reactions: BPB
1) You have my number, text me if this gets going please :).
2) For a $20 buy in you could probably push the limits to 40¢/80¢ and do 10¢ ante - 20¢ bring in. That's still 25 big bets which is a pretty standard buy in for limit play. Also this is probably better for your set that I know uses a lot of dimes :).

When live stud games were common at the track, $100 was a common buy in for 2/4 and even the occasional 3/6 limit (50¢ ante-$1 bring in), doing 40¢/80¢ stakes would just be dividing this by 5.
My group played a lot of .50/$1 limit hold'em post COVID and on an average night people would win/lose about $20 (there were a few outliers +40, -30, -35). I asked people to bring $40 for the night and no one had to rebuy.

Given stud is tougher and has an extra betting round, .40/.80 sounds about right.

Sorry to piggyback off this; I’ve been thinking about structure if I introduce a dealer’s choice night to my group. We normally play .25/.25 NLH usually .50 straddle and double straddle occasionally during a night. If I were to do stud games I’m guessing it would go like this:

Ante 0.25
Bring in 1
Limits 2/4

Should the bring be lowered? Or is $1 good?

Sorry to piggyback off this; I’ve been thinking about structure if I introduce a dealer’s choice night to my group. We normally play .25/.25 NLH usually .50 straddle and double straddle occasionally during a night. If I were to do stud games I’m guessing it would go like this:

Ante 0.25
Bring in 1
Limits 2/4

For a .25/.25 game, 2/4 limit might be a bit big. If you do 1 bet 3 raises, that's potentially a $8 max bet on each of the first two streets, and a $16 max bet on the last three streets. So someone could potentially commit $64 if each round is capped in a single hand, likely more than a standard buy-in.

I'd probably do .25 ante, .50 bring in, 1/2 limit. If you play a full orbit of each game even with dealer's choice, you could have dealer ante for $1.50 or $2, with .50 bring ins and 1/2 limit still. Make sure the game makes it around the orbit so dealer ante is fair.

For a .25/.25 game, 2/4 limit might be a bit big. If you do 1 bet 3 raises, that's potentially a $8 max bet on each of the first two streets, and a $16 max bet on the last three streets. So someone could potentially commit $64 if each round is capped in a single hand, likely more than a standard buy-in.

I'd probably do .25 ante, .50 bring in, 1/2 limit. If you play a full orbit of each game even with dealer's choice, you could have dealer ante for $1.50 or $2, with .50 bring ins and 1/2 limit still. Make sure the game makes it around the orbit so dealer ante is fair.
I was thinking 2/4 since 1/2 seems kinda small, but I get what you’re saying. Typical buy in for our .25/.25 game is 100. Last time we played had just over 1300 on the table. I can definitely try 1/2 for first go around and see if it works or move it to 2/4.
Thanks

I was thinking 2/4 since 1/2 seems kinda small, but I get what you’re saying. Typical buy in for our .25/.25 game is 100. Last time we played had just over 1300 on the table. I can definitely try 1/2 for first go around and see if it works or move it to 2/4.
Thanks
Your .25/.25 games plays bigger than my .25/.50 regular home game. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: (We usually don't break $1k on the table, but then we don't usually exceed 7 players.) So 2/4 may work great for your players. Can't to experiment. Probably easier to start small and increase than have to drop the stakes.

Edit:

Can't to experiment.

Obviously I meant "Can't hurt to experiment." Oops!

Last edited:
Reactions: BPB
You can also try spread limit if your players want to stay in the non-limit mood. 10c - $1 spread, 2 raise max should keep it friendly, and still scratch the itch for mainly NLHE players.

Your .25/.25 games plays bigger than my .25/.50 regular home game. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: (We usually don't break $1k on the table, but then we don't usually exceed 7 players.) So 2/4 may work great for your players. Can't to experiment. Probably easier to start small and increase than have to drop the stakes.
Yeah we had 12 players total over the course of the night. Lots of straddling and double straddles

Ante 0.25
Bring in 1
Limits 2/4

What is your buy in for the NL limit game? I think a 2/4 limit game will be swings of 100-200 for most players. That seems high for a 25¢-25¢ blind game. I think I would set the limits at either 1/2 (swings would be roughly 50-100) or even 50¢/1 (swings of 25-50).

My rules of thumb being about 50 * the big limit should be what most players are willing to lose in a night, and 200 or 300 * BB in no limit. So that's how I try and line up similar "risk" between limit and no limit.

If you do 1/2, I would do ante 25¢, bring in 50¢.
If you do 50¢/1 you probably want to play in dimes and do a 10¢ ante/ 20¢ bring in, or if you stick with quarters do a rotating 50¢ or 75¢ table ante and a 25¢ bring in.

EDIT TO ADD:
Just saw this.

I was thinking 2/4 since 1/2 seems kinda small, but I get what you’re saying. Typical buy in for our .25/.25 game is 100.

I think 1/2 is the right comparable risk. 2/4 will burn through 100 faster than 25¢-25¢ NL. Especially with players that may be new the game and call too much at first.

Last edited:
Not telling you how to run your card room, but I would not start with stud games. The play can be slow, there is a ton to evaluate, a lot of bedding, stages, and sat limit throws people off.

What is your buy in for the NL limit game? I think a 2/4 limit game will be swings of 100-200 for most players. That seems high for a 25¢-25¢ blind game. I think I would set the limits at either 1/2 (swings would be roughly 50-100) or even 50¢/1 (swings of 25-50).

My rules of thumb being about 50 * the big limit should be what most players are willing to lose in a night, and 200 or 300 * BB in no limit. So that's how I try and line up similar "risk" between limit and no limit.

If you do 1/2, I would do ante 25¢, bring in 50¢.
If you do 50¢/1 you probably want to play in dimes and do a 10¢ ante/ 20¢ bring in, or if you stick with quarters do a rotating 50¢ or 75¢ table ante and a 25¢ bring in.

EDIT TO ADD:
Just saw this.

I think 1/2 is the right comparable risk. 2/4 will burn through 100 faster than 25¢-25¢ NL. Especially with players that may be new the game and call too much at first.
Oh i get it. Like I said I’ll try starting out at 1/2 limits and see how it goes. The plan was to do a 4 bet cap when the stud games are called. The core guys that would be willing to do dealers choice are not unfamiliar with stud. We did a lot of stud back in 2020 on PokerStars during the early months of the pandemic.

Not telling you how to run your card room, but I would not start with stud games. The play can be slow, there is a ton to evaluate, a lot of bedding, stages, and sat limit throws people off.
Not sure if this was for me or the main post *shrug

I sure looks silly as I look at my three week old comment while simultaneously posting about setting up a seven card stud game

How did this go Merkong?

Did you like .20/40

Last edited:
Oh i get it. Like I said I’ll try starting out at 1/2 limits and see how it goes. The plan was to do a 4 bet cap when the stud games are called. The core guys that would be willing to do dealers choice are not unfamiliar with stud. We did a lot of stud back in 2020 on PokerStars during the early months of the pandemic.
Aug 26th is my first attempt at a dealer’s choice game will update afterwards!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom