Interesting road signs (6 Viewers)

IMG_2294.jpeg

I wish I’d had a sign like that at my previous residence.

The house was at the end of a dead-end road which had only been closed off a couple of years before. Previously, it had been used by many locals as a pass-through between two major routes. Meanwhile, many GPS services had not updated to reflect the closure.

The result was that people either accustomed to the short-cut, or just using GPS, would come screaming down the road and only see the concrete barriers at the last second.

So all day long, I’m hearing tires squeal. Then the person of course would have to turn around, flashing their headlights into my house at night, sometimes using my driveway to make their three-point turn. In 2.5 years of living there, only one person actually hit it (that I know of) but the traffic was a pain in the ass.

Now my new place is also on a dead-end road, but one which has been closed for over 125 years. In the 19th century, it was connected to the next road over — also a dead-end. Google Maps apparently existed in the 1890s, and thinks these two dead-ends are connected. When you put in my address, it sends people to the other road.

I’ve tried endlessly to get this corrected, to no avail. My workaround is that I placed a marker on my own Google Map, and used a link shortener to create a URL I can send to people instead.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom