Tourney Increasing Bounty Tournament HELP! (1 Viewer)

JoeBGo

Flush
Reaction score
Thinking of changing our Super Bowl Tournament to an increasing bounty? Anyone ran one of these before? Just want to make sure I’m doing it right.

$300 buy in, $220 to prize pool and $80 to bounties.
You get 4 bounty chips worth $20/ea. If someone knocks you out, they get a minimum of 4 of your bounty chips. If you have more than 4 bounty chips, the person that knocks you out gets half of your bounty chips.
Is this correct? Thanks for any tips or info!

Thinking of changing our Super Bowl Tournament to an increasing bounty? Anyone ran one of these before? Just want to make sure I’m doing it right.

$300 buy in, $220 to prize pool and $80 to bounties.
You get 4 bounty chips worth $20/ea. If someone knocks you out, they get a minimum of 4 of your bounty chips. If you have more than 4 bounty chips, the person that knocks you out gets half of your bounty chips.
Is this correct? Thanks for any tips or info!
I've never played a progressive bounty tourney, but my understanding would be this:
  • $80 bounty per player to start.
  • Player A knocks out Player B. Players A gets $40 to keep no matter what, and $40 gets added to their bounty, making it $120.
  • Player C knocks out Player A. Player C gets to keep $60 no matter what, and $60 gets added to their bounty, making it $140.

I've never played a progressive bounty tourney, but my understanding would be this:
  • $80 bounty per player to start.
  • Player A knocks out Player B. Players A gets $40 to keep no matter what, and $40 gets added to their bounty, making it $120.
  • Player C knocks out Player A. Player C gets to keep $60 no matter what, and $60 gets added to their bounty, making it $140.

So you wouldn’t lose your entire $80 bounty ever? So then in reality only half of the bounty money would be in play?

So you wouldn’t lose your entire $80 bounty ever? So then in reality only half of the bounty money would be in play?
No, the player that gets knocked out does lose their entire $80 but the player that knocked them out gets to pocket $40 and now their bounty get increased from $80 to $120. Once its heads up their will be two players left with a big bounty on each of their heads so the winner gets the 2nd place finishers bounty and keeps their own. The progressive bounty tournaments I play online pay the same for 1st & 2nd place best 1st place gets a huge payout knocking out that last player and keeping their own.

Player A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J all start with $80 bounties.

Player A knocks out player B, player A pockets $40 and $40 gets added to their bounty and goes from $80 to $120. Player B out
Player A knocks out player C, player A pockets $40 and $40 gets added to their bounty and goes from $120 to $160. Player C out
Player D knocks out player A, player D pockets $80 and $80 gets added to their bounty and goes from $80 to $160. Player A out
Player D knocks out player E, player D pockets $40 and $40 gets added to their bounty and goes from $160 to $200. Player E out
Player D knocks out player F, player D pockets $40 and $40 gets added to their bounty and goes from $200 to $240. Player F out
Player G knocks out player H, player G pockets $40 and $40 gets added to their bounty and goes from $80 to $120. Player H out
Player G knocks out player I, player G pockets $40 and $40 gets added to their bounty and goes from $120 to $160. Player I out
Player D knocks out player J, player J pockets $40 and $40 gets added to their bounty and goes from $240 to $280. Player J out

Player D & G are heads up, player D has $280 on their head and player G has $160 on his head, these numbers really don't matter because the winner wins the rest. They could consider a chop and just take their remaining bounties back too.

So of the $800 in the beginning bounty pool of $800, $360 has been pocketed, the remaining $440 which player D & G have on their heads is pocketed by the winner.

Player A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J all start with $80 bounties.

Player A knocks out player B, player A pockets $40 and $40 gets added to their bounty and goes from $80 to $120. Player B out
Player A knocks out player C, player A pockets $40 and $40 gets added to their bounty and goes from $120 to $160. Player C out
Player D knocks out player A, player D pockets $80 and $80 gets added to their bounty and goes from $80 to $160. Player A out
Player D knocks out player E, player D pockets $40 and $40 gets added to their bounty and goes from $160 to $200. Player E out
Player D knocks out player F, player D pockets $40 and $40 gets added to their bounty and goes from $200 to $240. Player F out
Player G knocks out player H, player G pockets $40 and $40 gets added to their bounty and goes from $80 to $120. Player H out
Player G knocks out player I, player G pockets $40 and $40 gets added to their bounty and goes from $120 to $160. Player I out
Player D knocks out player J, player J pockets $40 and $40 gets added to their bounty and goes from $240 to $280. Player J out

Player D & G are heads up, player D has $280 on their head and player G has $160 on his head, these numbers really don't matter because the winner wins the rest. They could consider a chop and just take their remaining bounties back too.

So of the $800 in the beginning bounty pool of $800, $360 has been pocketed, the remaining $440 which player D & G have on their heads is pocketed by the winner.
So would it be easier with 2 $40 bounties?

Yes and no.
It would definitely help when the players that haven't knocked anyone out lose. The problems will occur when someone's bounty is $120 it would be $60/$60 so increments of $40 wouldn't help there. You can they say well what about $20 bounties but that won't work either because of the below scenario.

Player A has $25,000 chips
Player B has $20,000 chips
Player C has $15,000 chips
Player A & B both have AK and player C has QQ. They are all in preflop and an Ace hits the board. Player A&B chop the pot and technically both knock player C out bc they both have him covered. If player C's bounty was $120 now that's $60 for each player in which $30 gets pocketed by each and $30 gets added to their bounty.

I think your two options are this
A. Have no actual bounty chips on the table and just keep track of everything on a sheet of paper
B. Each player has a bounty chip with a blank label and you can write on it with an erasable marker as players bounties change. Pay the players out with cash right away for the amount they pocket.

Imho these are best tracked with a white board so everyone can see everyone's current bounty value.

20200208_015215.jpg

I use T5 (or $5) "bounty" chips to show each player's current bounty value. When someone gets knocked out, the hitman takes half of that player's bounty chips and adds them to their bounty stack, and trades in the other half for cash chips. Rinse and repeat until everyone just has cash chips left. You could trade the "won" bounty chips for cash, but imho less chips = less fun. My games are usually $50 games, so for an $80 game you'd probably be better off with $10 chips.

And as pointed out above, these games almost always end in a chop. Otherwise they're about as close to "winner take all" as you can get lol.

Here's a supplemental pic to help, typical progressive bounty game:

20220326_232917.jpg

20220326_232917.jpg

Blue = tournament chips
Yellow = Bounty value chips
Green = Bounty cash chips won, redeemable for cash at the end of the night

When we play, folks go all-in by tossing in their bounty value chips :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom