If you live in coastal Texas, it is crunch time (1 Viewer)

Only in Texas are there "always" a few "minor" tornadoes. Up here any tornado is always a BFD! Stay safe y'all.

Actually, I just referring to hurricane related tornadoes. Dallas gets some serious ones from time to time.

Night has come and all government agencies has ceased rescue operations. Fortunately the citizens have taken charge and are getting the job done,

Spoke via text to a friend I have in Houston. He said he and his family are fine. Water made it up to his 2nd step, but no higher. He said that the waters are receding now, and are halfway down his driveway. He definitely acknowledged that they were some of the lucky ones, and that most of the city is in bad shape.

All you PCFers stay safe!! I'll continue with my thoughts and prayers for everyone in coastal TX!!

Apparently "pastor" Joel Osteen is getting a lot of flack for not opening his church to help the masses, but later backtracked.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ng-megachurch-harvey-crisis-article-1.3450244

Also, pastors are worth $50M?! I'm definitely in the wrong business.
A charlatan is a charlatan. But this guy is infinitely worse: he enriches himself at the expense of the poor, downtrodden, gullible and those thirsty for faith. Christian, indeed.

My favorite tweet shaming him was one that pointed out that all 21 mosques in Houston were open and providing relief/shelter for those in need.

Opening Osteen's church as a shelter would be a bad idea. The church is right on one of those freeways you see in pictures completely under water. There is no safe way to get there.

The photo in the article is not current. There isn't a road in Houston that is that dry. Even the roads that aren't flooded are wet. Also, in reference to the title, we are not in the aftermath. We are still in it.

Spoke via text to a friend I have in Houston. He said he and his family are fine. Water made it up to his 2nd step, but no higher. He said that the waters are receding now, and are halfway down his driveway. He definitely acknowledged that they were some of the lucky ones, and that most of the city is in bad shape.

All you PCFers stay safe!! I'll continue with my thoughts and prayers for everyone in coastal TX!!
Still a bunch to be concerned with. Even with the water reversing it will eventually go up again since they will need to release water from the Barker dam and the Addicks dam. The water going down is giving some folks a bit of false hope. If you know anyone that lives west or south of those two dams they need to be aware of when the water is release. Also for those south if Houston the Brazos River is overflowing at the banks and there has been a levee breach in Columbia Lakes. It was also just reported that the rainfall record had now been broken for the US. Over 50 inches of rain has fallen in parts of Houston. At last report Harvey has dumped more than 19 Trillion gallons on Texas, and still counting.

We are still closed in Houston. Gas is getting harder and harder to get to the stores in all parts of Texas. I went to one of the loading racks I San Antonio and witnessed over 45 trucks in line waiting to load. I had trucks sitting in line for over three hours!

Prayers to everyone being affected by this storm. We will get through this but it will take some time.

David O

The current view at the end of my street...

flood.jpg

Is there a place where you can donate clothes, shoes etc.?

Most places are saying they don't want clothes, unless they are plus-sized. That may change - but evidently everyone brings clothes during storm relief efforts and they end up with piles of unused stuff.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/how-...ane-harvey-victims-in-central-texas/468716884
http://www.npr.org/2017/08/29/54686...-long-term-issue-plan-cash-donations-to-match
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/donating-harvey-relief-efforts-give-49471920

Money is almost always better than used goods. It is fungible and trivially easy to move. Money is flexible, allowing the various relief groups to buy what is needed where it is needed.

Many times what clothing people donate is less than useful. There is a reason my old cloths sell for less than a buck at the thrift store and often end up being sold to the rag vendor by the pound for next to nothing. Moving truck loads of donated clothing is going to be hard to impossible in any sort of timely way. And even if a truck load gets to a disaster area, then somehow it needs to be sorted and then distributed.

If you want to donate physical goods, your local food bank is worthy of your generosity. Food banks within a few hundred miles of the disaster zone generally coordinate with their counterparts in the affected areas. Also there are going to be displaced people spread out far from the flood zones, many of whom will need help. An d even here, money is often better than food stuff.

Your money and time are the best things you can donate, but almost anything would help.

Oh, and don't forget this is a disaster that reaches much further than Houston. The flooding affects dozens of rural counties in areas far poorer than Houston - places that aren't going to be the beneficiaries of celebrity or large corporate generosity. The Red Cross and/or the Salvation Army are worthy charities in time like we about to go through.

DrStrange

We are in Europe currently and missed all the weather, although little of it hit Tyler. My son-in-law went down to Houston Sunday/Monday with a flat-bottomed boat to help with the relief efforts. He rescued people from 15 houses, piloting the boat over completely submerged cars.

L

PS What I've read suggests that intermittent flooding may continue to happen every few years unless Houston spends an ungodly amount of money on water management.

We are in Europe currently and missed all the weather, although little of it hit Tyler. My son-in-law went down to Houston Sunday/Monday with a flat-bottomed boat to help with the relief efforts. He rescued people from 15 houses, piloting the boat over completely submerged cars.

L

PS What I've read suggests that intermittent flooding may continue to happen every few years unless Houston spends an ungodly amount of money on water management.

It's hard to say - we've had several massive flooding events recently - two "hundred year" level and this "thousand year" or whatever they are calling it now. The odds are stacked way against this level of activity, but maybe the models need to change. If these levels of rainfall become more common place something will have to be done. Cheaper than the damages sustained every few years for sure.

It's hard to say - we've had several massive flooding events recently - two "hundred year" level and this "thousand year" or whatever they are calling it now. The odds are stacked way against this level of activity, but maybe the models need to change. If these levels of rainfall become more common place something will have to be done. Cheaper than the damages sustained every few years for sure.

My brief internet research (now I'm an expert) suggests that these storms ARE becoming more common (global warming??), but that a major contributor is the development of the area, which decreases the ability of the water to "soak in" and thus increases run-off. Houston may need to spend a real fraction (25%+) of what it spends on road construction/repair on water management.

L

My brief internet research (now I'm an expert) suggests that these storms ARE becoming more common (global warming??), but that a major contributor is the development of the area, which decreases the ability of the water to "soak in" and thus increases run-off. Houston may need to spend a real fraction (25%+) of what it spends on road construction/repair on water management.

L

I read the same info. It makes sense. Because of the major loss of green space, especially for a low-lying area that can't absorb a lot of water to start with, it's time to redraw flood plain maps.

On a related note, why do we continue to insure and pay claims on properties that flood repetitively?

I read the same info. It makes sense. Because of the major loss of green space, especially for a low-lying area that can't absorb a lot of water to start with, it's time to redraw flood plain maps.

On a related note, why do we continue to insure and pay claims on properties that flood repetitively?

This was an unprecedented amount of rain in the US. Sometimes there's too much water period. 40 plus inches of rain over 4 days...i don't think any metro in the US is ready for that.

This was an unprecedented amount of rain in the US. Sometimes there's too much water period. 40 plus inches of rain over 4 days...i don't think any metro in the US is ready for that.

Correct.

Edit: I'm so sorry. I thought this was in the politics forum.

Last edited:
Just a quick update. We were able to get our Houston office semi-opened today. We now have a few trucks waiting in the long lines to fill up and deliver fuel to retail outlets. Please know that the price is going up and it is not due to price gouging. It is due to at least 1/3 of the nations refining capacity being shutdown. I am sure there will be some price gouging but not if you stick with the bigger c-store chains and fuel companies. I have heard that some people are coming in cussing out the clerks who have no control over the price.

Anyway Texas is in a fuel shortage and it is and will be affecting the rest of the country to some degree. Here is what we are seeing

Colonial Pipeline continues to have operational shutdowns due to not enough product flowing. The pipeline is operable north of Lake Charles but at significantly reduced rates. This will create product tightness in the Southeast

Explorer Pipeline which starts in Houston and delivers product to Chicago is shut down. there seems to be ample supply and it sip protected that this area will be fine.

So some of the refineries have restarted but refineries do not have an "on" with and take time to start back up as to not damage any units. To put it in perspective there were 5MMbbls of refining capacity that was taken offline. right now only 1 MMbbls have been reportedly begun the process of coming back online

The Red Cross and/or the Salvation Army are worthy charities in time like we about to go through.

DrStrange

Give clothes, give supplies, but DONT give your money to the Red Cross.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-not-to-the-red-cross/?utm_term=.6aeb5b1761e1

Mat beat me to it. This is an organization that gets people to donate their blood, then turns around and sells it to hospitals. They have amazing marketing, as do a lot of Cancer-based charities (Susan G Komen, Relay for Life, etc) but they're not really good charities to support, despite the false feel-goods you may get because you feel like you're contributing to a worthy organization.

Here's another great article about the Red Cross: http://www.slate.com/articles/busin...t_built_to_withstand_a_storm_like_harvey.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom