Tourney I gon' goofed. 7 Card Stud Tourney help (1 Viewer)

Rakrul

Straight
Reaction score
Background info:
I've ran a single table, live poker league for a number of years. When the pandemic hit, the guys wanted to continue online so we tried Stars and ended up with Poker Mavens which is a great success.
So in an attempt to get my players interested in something else than NLHE I introduced them to PLO where 3 of 9 online tourneys were PLO (rebuy). A new online season is about to start and my plan is to have 3 tourneys with NLHE (rebuy), 3 with PLO (rebuy) and finally 3 with 7 Card Stud. Thing is - I have no experience with it. Great plan, I know.

It's obviously played as fixed limit, so should I really care about rebuys? The NLHE starts with a 5k and the rebuy limit is 5k so most players starts with 10k. I guess I could do something similar, but should I?
We aim for the tournament to last for 3 hours, where the first 1 hour 20 minutes are rebuy periods. The structure starts slow, then really aggressive to thin the herd and then slow-ish to allow for some short handed play. Part of the reason is that when you rebuy, you shouldn't start with 15BB or whatever.

My other big issue is the structure - how to make a fixed limit tournament last for about 3 hours? Anyone have any experience here? Obviously rebuys and add-ons makes this harder to plan but on NL and PL games I've hit pretty good so far - for fixed limit I really don't know.

Any input, experience, things to keep in mind, etc. is very welcome.

How many players are you?
could you post the structure?

I have a lot of live Home Game Stud Hi experience and I play 3-4 times a week the 7 card Stud daily tournament on Stars. Maybe I can help.

How many players are you?
could you post the structure?

I have a lot of live Home Game Stud Hi experience and I play 3-4 times a week the 7 card Stud daily tournament on Stars. Maybe I can help.
We're usually 6-8 players.
The structure is basically a STT, although since it's online we've had 10+ players a few times. There's 9 tournaments in a season, where your 6 best counts. Stud is gonna be 3 of those.
If you mean the blind levels, I have nothing but this is what I use for NLHE and PLO.

With 6-8 players with 10 chips it will end around lvl 14
I assume you mean 10k chips?

How do you calculate that? Just by total chips and blind level? That calculation works fine with NL games, but is it the same for FL as well?

10k, sorry

from experience in having played tons of Stud single tables live and online
Thanks! Since I won't do rebuys or similar, I think I'll skip a few of the earlier levels. I'll also try a "test tourney" to verify.

Limit tournaments can start off really slow...I have played a few LHE tournaments. Unfortunately, limit just doesnt convey too well into a tournament structure...and this is coming from a person that loves to play limit cash. Maybe consider pot limit then just keep your same structure.

If sticking to limit, there is no need to have rebuys. at the lower stakes, your stack just isnt in jeopardy over a hand or two.

You are up against the length of a time it takes to complete a hand of seven card stud. Limit compounds the problem of finishing the tournament in three hours.

My approach would be to play one orbit of each of the three games, Hold-em, Omaha-Hi and 7CS, limit only, six players table max to speed up the number of hands per hour.

Should make for a fun tournament, even if it runs a little longer than your standard three hours.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom