How would you rate these players? (1 Viewer)

BG's system has 12 as a base for 1 pt. If I understood correctly, for each additional player, it goes up 4%. I'm not sure why he did a base of 12. Both of our starting points are completely arbitrary, so one isn't better than the other. It's a distinction without a difference. I wondered, and maybe he will address this, if he did that because 12 happened to be our smallest tournament. If that wasn't it, I'd love to know why start at 12.

The system I referenced earlier uses base 12 because that is the average field size for that league (over all seasons), plus the minimum and maximum field sizes for that league are restricted to between 6 and 18 players (events with fewer than six players do not count, and two tables of nine players is the cut-off for maximum participation in an event). Other similar point systems used will have a different base number, which is typically based on average field size for those league games. One advantage of using the average field size as the base number is that points scored from one year to another will have more relevant comparisons, even as the field sizes change over time (either increasing or decreasing). This is important when comparing current performance to years past, or when determining awards for cumulative performance over several seasons (especially if average attendance fluctuated over that time frame).

However, the system I used to score your player results used a base 16 because that was your average attendance for the rated season (ranging from 11 to 23 I believe, going just from memory). It was relatively easy to create a 16-base system that followed our points rules and then apply it to your data.

I think the system works best when the baseline number is either the average or median (midpoint) field size. The point ranges from baseline to smallest and largest should be similar, and not skewed in one direction or the other.

Thanks for explaining. Last year we varied from 12-23 (not 11), the average was 16. I know the first year it was 16-21, the average was 19.83. The second year was 16-27, the average was 20.83.

We have determined what we'd consider too small for a game to count because in three years, we've never had less than 12. For several years, it was a single table event. We took a hiatus for a while, and then I restarted it. The first year it was all over the board, but stabilized 3 years ago. Since we no longer have something that ties players in (league fee), I'm not sure what to guess about this year.

Would you wait to determine that base at the end of the year and recalculate, or would you use 16 as our base in 2016 and work from there? Then if the number is different, next year use the 2016 average? Since I used 12 as a base, it would change numbers slightly, but probably no results.

I'd go with either 16 (2015 avg), 19 (~ three year average), or 18 (combo - average of first two years plus last year) -- depending on what you'd guess the 2016 numbers to be. If you expect attendance to rise slightly, I'd go with 18. If you went with midpoint numbers (min 10 and max 30), baseline would be 20. But I think that's high, given your actual attendance.

Since you're slightly changing things for next year anyway, it probably won't matter too much. Our numbers have been pretty steady through the years, so the baseline number hasn't changed much (it's always been based on cumulative attendance numbers, although it was 10-base the first year - had to start somewhere!).

Thanks. I'm going to propose 16. As of now, I have no real reason for believe that attendance will change. At least I can explain it. :)

After doing 3 tables for most months of 2014, and then 2 tables several months in a row in 2015, I decided not to try for 3 tables. It's a lot more work. It probably affects having a second game.

I really do appreciate your suggestions. I had fun analyzing all that stuff! ... Yea, I know, it's sick that I enjoy that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom