Cash Game How should I build a chip set for a cash game that might increase in value (1 Viewer)

BagsOChips

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to make a chip set for a cash game but I'm wondering what the best number/valuations of chips I should get are for a cash game that may increase in stakes sometimes.

For some background, I've just started a game with some friends who don't play a lot of poker so we've been playing incredibly low stakes for fun and as an introduction. I also don't want to put people off and upset people. I'm in the UK and we are currently playing 2/5 blinds. We usually all buy in for 100bb. However, I can see this increasing to at least 5/10.

I'm currently using some dice chips and I'm wanting to get a nicer set now that we've got a semi-regular game going. However, I'm not sure what denominations to get to cover both the 2/5 and the 5/10 games. For reference, I'm considering buying something like the SunFly Lucky Dragon chips.

There's a lot of info out there on what denominations to use for cash games but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the denominations and chip numbers I should get to cover both a 2/5 and 5/10 game?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

A chipset breakdown of

$1 x 100
$5 x 200
$25 x 200
$100 x 200
$500 x 100

Will be enough to cover both stake

If you have a bigger budget, you can add another rack or 2 of $25 as they will be the workhorse chips

Mmm, I'd say more $5 as that's going to be there workhorse for the 2/5. If we're future-proofing here I'd think this is better:

$1 x 200
$5 x 400
$25 x 200 (maybe 300?)
$100 x 200
$500 x 100

You might want to clarify what your stakes are, the chip breakdowns will be very different. You say incredibly low stakes, then say 2/5 and 5/10. Do you mean .02/.05 and .05/.10 or $2/$5 and $5/$10?

if you are playing super low stakes I would recommend 1 or 2 non-denominated chips that could be pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, etc. so you can change the value as your game increases.

Yeah we're currently playing 2p/5p games.

I had considered getting a non denomination set but can't see many about.

ok cool then I would recommend something like this:

100-120 Non-demons #1. (These could be 1p, 2p, 5p, etc.)
100-300 Non-denoms #2. (can be 5p, 10p, 25p, etc.) These will likely be the workhorse chip for a while.
100-200 $1
100 $5

Can always add more $5 and $25s if your game gets bigger.

Yeah we're currently playing 2p/5p games.

I would recommend moving up in stakes immediately.

I would additionally recommend 0.10/0.10.
It's my go-to game at the moment as my friends are university students so it's what they're comfortable gambling with.

For 0.10/0.10 you only need 3 chips, but only 2 usually make it in play.

10p x 400
£1 x 160
£5 x 40

£400 bank.

I would recommend moving up in stakes immediately.

I would additionally recommend 0.10/0.10.
It's my go-to game at the moment as my friends are university students so it's what they're comfortable gambling with.

For 0.10/0.10 you only need 3 chips, but only 2 usually make it in play.

10p x 400
£1 x 160
£5 x 40

£400 bank.
I quite like this idea. What chip set are you using @lewan ?

I don't see many 10 chips about atm.

I don't see many 10 chips about atm.
Nile Club has USD denominated chips. 25-50 cents. 1-2-2.50-3-5-10-25 dollar chips also, lots of options they are nice and affordable. My go-to.

When increasing stakes you can also always have one extra stack. For example replace 25 cents with 25 dollar chips, stuff like that helps scale up without high expense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom