Cash Game How long can a betting round last in a no limit game? (1 Viewer)

Bacon Dad

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I’m getting confused in No Limit games about how long a betting round could last. Assume 4 handed no limit game. P1 opens the bet. P2 calls. P3 raises. Dealer re-raises. P1 and P2 can only call the last two raises and not re-raise, right? And P3 can only call the very last raise and not re-raise? And then the betting round is over because everyone called? Or can everyone just keep re-raising each other again and again and again until they either eventually all call or go all-in? Thanks for the responses in advance.

everyone just keep re-raising each other again and again and again until they either eventually all call or go all-in

As long as their subsequent raise is at least the size of the prior raise.

I.e. this is not acceptable:
P1 bets 100
P2 raises to 200
P3 raises to 250

This is not acceptable unless P3 only has 250 and is all-in.

Back to your question… think of it this way. When the action is on any player, he has three options… Fold, Call, and Raise.

As long as their subsequent raise is at least the size of the prior raise.

I.e. this is not acceptable:
P1 bets 100
P2 raises to 200
P3 raises to 250

This is not acceptable unless P3 only has 250 and is all-in.

Back to your question… think of it this way. When the action is on any player, he has three options… Fold, Call, and Raise.
Thanks. I’m clear on the P3 raising to 250 only if it is an all-in situation.

Regarding the three options when the action is on a player...I am hearing this.
If player X calls W’s bet and the next player Y raises, and it comes back around to player X to decide on Y’s raise, X would be able to re-raise even though he previously called on W’s bet.

If player X calls W’s bet and the next player Y raises, and it comes back around to player X to decide on Y’s raise, X would be able to re-raise even though he previously called on W’s bet.
Yup.

Yes. Your previous action has no bearing what you can do for next action. There is no cap on betting and raising in No Limit.

There are exceptions for when the raise is not a complete raise though.

Playing 4 handed
Blinds are 25/50
P1 raises to 200
P2 calls
P3 raises all in to 250
Action on P4

P4 can fold, call 250, or raise. If P4 just calls, then P1 and P2 can't raise. And the reason is the raise by P3 was not a full raise. P1 raised 150 (from 50 to 200), so the minimum raises is another 150, or a total bet of 350. But since P1 and P2 already made actions on the 200, they are no longer entitled to raise the 250 all in from P3 since it's not a full raise and thus does not reopen the raise action to P1 and P2. However, since P4 had not acted yet, P4 does have the option to raise still.

In LIMIT poker however, there usually is a cap on bets/raises in multiway pots. The cap is usually 4 or 5 bets (ie a bet and 3 or 4 raises). But this cap only applies in multiway pots. Heads up there is no cap on the number of raises, but the cap on the size of the raises still exists (since it's limit poker).

Also the rule on what is a full raise in limit is different than it is in no limit. So if a player is all in for less that a full raise in limit, as long as the raise is at least half a full raise, it can be raised again even by those that have completed action. Unlike my example about for no limit where it has to be full raise.

Playing 4 handed
Blinds are 25/50
P1 raises to 200
P2 calls
P3 raises all in to 250
Action on P4

P4 can do any of the following since he hasn't acted: Fold/Call/Raise/Go All In.
  • Folds-P1 and P2 can only call (Or Fold) the additional 50 as the 250 raise was under 50% of the allowable minimum raise of 150 (200-50=150). If P3 would have raised to at least 350 then action would start over with P1 and P2.
  • Calls-P1 and P2 can again only call or fold.
  • Raise-I think the minimum raise would have to be to 500, but I'm not certain. P3 would have had to go to 350, so I think P4 has to complete that raise and put in an additional raise of 150 to make it 500.
  • All In-Any player can go all in if they haven't acted yet. Action then back on P1 and P2.
These are those weird situations that certainly don't come up a lot and I could certainly be wrong on any of these!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom