Cash Game How do Bomb Pots work? / How do you implement them? (1 Viewer)

I think I understand the Bomb Pot concept from a timer perspective. I'm interested to learn more about using chips for Bomb Pots. How many chips do you think is too much for a table of 7-8 people? I read a post suggesting 1 per player. That sounds like a lot to me (unless there is a rule capping how many Bomb Pot chips can be played at any given time). I'm intrigued about the double bomb pot idea. I just think anything more than that could become excessive.

The way I was envisioning it was to award a chip to one player at the beginning of the session (maybe the host) and then when it is used, it would be given to the person who won that pot. It would then be circulated that way until the end.

I also like @JMC9389's approach too:
A bomb pot chip or token is awarded to the first player of the night that shows a winning boat or better. That player can deploy it whenever they please for the rest of the night.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

I'm sure I'll get roasted over this but I have no problem with bomb pots as long as they are not manditory (have to play) and only happen a few times a night. I'm all for a straight gambool every now and then (flips & such) but some players are not (especailly for a higher ante price), and forcing it on all players shouldn't be done. It is something that can get out of hand (similar to constant straddling) once started and basically can jack around with the limits of the game.

I'm sure I'll get roasted over this but I have no problem with bomb pots as long as they are not manditory (have to play) and only happen a few times a night.
Yeah, we already play a variation of this (without chips) where one player 'encourages' others to put a little more into the pot to make things interesting. This doesn't happen frequently - maybe 2-3 times per night (~4 hours of playing).

What are the thoughts on using bomb pots in a tournament?
Hm - I hadn't thought about it in that context. I've always envisioned this in a cash game set up. I'd imagine Bomb Pots in a tourney would be severely game wrecking especially if it was mandatory for all players to participate.

We do Bomb Pots for our cash games.
My place I have them structured and everyone knows the plan.
They 100% are NOT mandatory
The button does not move after a bomb pot so that player doesn’t lose his button position for normal play
We play $1/$2 HoldEm so the bomb pots are $10. No limit post flop
We play from 7pm to midnight
Bomb pot @
8pm
9pm
10pm
11pm
1130pm
Midnight
The games start mellow then grow to more circus like
Examples
8pm double board HoldEm
9pm double board crazy pineapple
10pm double board lazy pineapple
11pm double board ludicrous pineapple
1130 double board Hollywood
Midnight double board super HoldEm
All split pots
My players really like them. I have timers set in my phone and they get super excited when they go off.
I will do a random shuffle, cut and high card draw if the button lands in the same spot too often for bomb pots

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom