How deep do you start your Home STT ? (1 Viewer)

What’s your typical starting stack ?

• Stack < or = 100 BB

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • 100 BB < stack < or = 200 BB

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • 200 BB < stack < or = 300 BB

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • 300 BB < stack < or = 400 BB

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Stack > 400 BB

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

Kid_Eastwood

Full House
Reaction score
Hi there,

For those who run single table tournament at home, I’m just curious to know how deep do you start ?

Does it depend on the number of players ? E.g up to six players you foresee a different starting stack than when you have full ring (or 7-10 players) ?

Does it depend on the fact that rebuy/re-entry is allowed ?

Personally I like 300BB with no re-entry / re-buy with a nice progressive structure (no 100% jump in blinds) and no ante.

Usually I play in a game where it varies from 500BB - 600BB with no rebuy / re-entry, nice progressive structure (except a blind doubling from level 1 to level 2) which is mostly STT but where 2 tables of 6 already happened. On one hand I find this starting stack a little bit too much but on the other hand, it compensates in a way blinds doubling from level 1 to level 2...

Of course, it’s pointless to have huge starting stack if you double the blinds every round.

Assuming a progressive structure, I was just interested in knowing the depth of your STT...

I almost always do 200bbs. 20 minute levels. Rebuys for the first hour, and at the end of the rebuy period I do an add-on: half the buyin for half the starting stack (so for a €10 initial buy in and 10k starting stacks, add-on is €5 for 5k). Works out pretty well.

200BB

I think you have some signs the wrong direction on options 2 3 4.

Not really, just have written < or = rather than <=.

100 BB < stack <= 200 BB meaning stack between 100 BB and 200 BB (incl.).

But indeed, I could have presented it in some other way because it might not be so clear...

Not really, just have written < or = rather than <=.

100 BB < stack <= 200 BB meaning stack between 100 BB and 200 BB (incl.).

But indeed, I could have presented it in some other way because it might not be so clear...

It's clear.

Our game usually averages about 8 players. $20 buy in with $5 going to a bounty. I usually do 20 minute levels with unlimited rebuys until the first break (after level 5). At the break I color up and allow an add-on. Half price for a full starting stack since by then half the stack would only be 10 BB and hardly worth it. This way we at least get 20 BB add on. I have a 47% average blind increase but 100% increase from 1 to 2.

When I did 200 BB starting stacks with 9 players I had 4 rebuys and all but one added on. The tournament lasted what seemed like forever at just under 4 1/2 hrs.
When I did 150 BB starting stacks, hoping to get more rebuys, with 9 players I had 0 rebuys and all but one added on. This one lasted 4 1/2 hrs.

Our next game I'm going to try a deep stack $100 buy in with 500 BB starting stacks and no rebuys/add-ons and see how that works.

150bb - 200bb usually

I tend to think that if we are playing with rebuys I prefer a lower starting stack... But I don't know if that's a correct thought. I'm considering changing up my next tourney to be a little deeper stacked and just increasing the allowed rebuy period to be a bit longer.

For those who run single table tournament at home, I’m just curious to know how deep do you start ?
Really depends on what type of event I want it to be. Generally between 150bb-300bb, although I occasionally run super-deep events with 500bb-600bb starting stacks.

Structure much more important that the size of the starting stack.
^^ This. A well-balanced event is a good combination of both structure design and starting stack size.

Really depends on what type of event I want it to be. Generally between 150bb-300bb, although I occasionally run super-deep events with 500bb-600bb starting stacks.

^^ This. A well-balanced event is a good combination of both structure design and starting stack size.

Is there any credence to the thought that (for a rebuy tourney) you should increase your rebuy period as starting stacks get deeper?

Three general schools of thought regarding the 'proper' length of the re-buy period:
  • re-buys should end when the re-buy stack is worth less than 20-25 big blinds
  • re-buys should end at a fixed point, giving participants a fixed number of minutes to re-buy (usually 1 hour)
  • re-buys should never be offered in tournaments, so the correct length is zero
My personal preference is minimum 25bb or two hours maximum, whichever occurs first. I see little value in purchasing a re-buy stack that is already short-stacked. Some people prefer to let the players make that decision, and offer them low-return-value re-buy stacks worth as little as 5bb.

On the other hand, I have directed tournaments where re-buys were allowed all the way to event completion..... which definitely threw a twist into the endgame dynamics. Not better, not worse, just different.

Our next game I'm going to try a deep stack $100 buy in with 500 BB starting stacks and no rebuys/add-ons and see how that works.

Be careful changing things too much just based on one or two games. There can be huge variations in rebuys, add-ons and bust-outs which skew your results.

Three general schools of thought regarding the 'proper' length of the re-buy period:
  • re-buys should end when the re-buy stack is worth less than 20-25 big blinds
  • re-buys should end at a fixed point, giving participants a fixed number of minutes to re-buy (usually 1 hour)
  • re-buys should never be offered in tournaments, so the correct length is zero
My personal preference is minimum 25bb or two hours maximum, whichever occurs first. I see little value in purchasing a re-buy stack that is already short-stacked. Some people prefer to let the players make that decision, and offer them low-return-value re-buy stacks worth as little as 5bb.

On the other hand, I have directed tournaments where re-buys were allowed all the way to event completion..... which definitely threw a twist into the endgame dynamics. Not better, not worse, just different.

Thanks, I tend to sway between the first bullet point and the second.

My dynamic is usually an STT with a desire to play cash afterwards...

On one side I would prefer to cut off rebuys early, to encourage a quicker tournament, a faster transition to cash and less wait time for those that bust early. At the same token I don't want to run a super fast structure and I don't want any rebuys at less than 20-25 bigs. My solution has been to keep a slower structure (in regards to blind increases), decrease the starting stack to 150 bb, cap the rebuy period at 1hr ish and then accelerate the blind jumps a bit after the rebuy period ends. I also desire to increase the prize pool.

Still, I don't really like the way it's playing out.

I think this month I'm going to go back to 10k, but this time add in bounties and increase the rebuy period.

Maybe I'm just trying to have my cake and eat it too...

Sorry don't mean to thread jack... You can expect to see a new thread from me soon...haha

We have always allowed rebuys until the money, as you mentioned people will (mostly, I won't) naturally not rebuy once rebuys are at 10BB. We limit the number of rebuys. The only time we don't do this is when we have add-ons and the rebuy period needs to have an end time, then we end at 2-2.5 hours (or usually at 20 BB).

Grant

This won't be a permanent change. A few of us got to talking about upping the stakes a little bit so we thought we'd play for a hundo. Several of our regulars won't go any higher than $20 so that's where the game will stay. The deep stack game is kind of a retirement/poker party for one of the guys.

That’s so interesting to me. So somebody at the bubble night rebuy for 2 or 3 big blinds, or something like that? I imagine that could get weird.

That’s so interesting to me. So somebody at the bubble night rebuy for 2 or 3 big blinds, or something like that? I imagine that could get weird.
Yeah, it basically affected play until there were no more re-buys available to anybody. Things like automatic shoves or automatic calls of all-in bets all of a sudden weren't so clearly the right strategy, depending on stack sizes and who still had a re-buy available. Some pretty interesting twists.

To throw even more strategy into the mix, the Re-Buy chip ~could~ have been exchanged at one point in time for a free add-on. It was optional to take the add-on chips, or keep the re-buy button. Larger stacks tended to keep the button, smaller stacks took the chips.

To throw even more strategy into the mix, the Re-Buy chip ~could~ have been exchanged at one point in time for a free add-on. It was optional to take the add-on chips, or keep the re-buy button. Larger stacks tended to keep the button, smaller stacks took the chips.
I posed a question about the feasibility of a very similar idea, recently. It didn’t get a lot of responses, but people seemed opposed to the idea of last minute rebuys.
As you said, it changes things significantly, but it’s an interesting twist.

We cut off rebuys when it gets to the bubble. So if 3 spots paid the person out in 5th can rebuy but once it is down to 4 there are no more rebuys. At that point a rebuy would represent 0.5 to 1.5 BB.

Where it can be fun strategy is if one player has all that chips. That means a rebuy could still put you in contention for 2nd or 3rd if everyone else is low in chips.

Grant

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom