SOLD hookloopoutlet neoprene samples (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neoprene is a floating surface. That is the nature of the game table I bought.
52A40B6F-C447-49B4-88C7-9766E2CE6228.jpeg

A445DB7E-E584-4C33-A0D2-B0EA7B0F45E9.jpeg

The 5mm is heavier than the 3mm would have been and I am guessing that it sits down much more nicely because of that.

My other table is unsuited maroon speed cloth on foam. I prefer this surface. It is softer and cards slide a little less, but that's a good thing. Speed cloth works great for cards and games, but it always felt cheap to me. I think of this nylon/neoprene as speed cloth's higher thread count cousin.

When you unrolled it, how flat did it sit out of the roll? How long did it take to get flat?

I’m looking for something to cover a dining room table to serve as a temporary table top. (I have a felt sheet, it pills and leaves a mess, so it’s probably a cheap imitation.)

This looks interesting and I could cut it to size, drop it on the table, and do. It probably wouldn’t slip too much and should be good with any accidental spills.

But I’d have it rolled up until some point before the game and am wondering if the 5mm (or 3 or 4) would lay reasonably flat in a reasonable time.

I just found a defect in my current topper on our poker/sewing (conversion) table, that has sped up our "need" for a new topper this morning. I think a foam like this may be just the solution!

I love it when a problem is presented and solved in a day.

That’s a big positive if it gets instantly flat, with no creases.

I’ve made several toppers with 1/4” closed cell foam, with waterproof outdoor fabric attached on the playing side, and a faux leather backing which prevents sliding. Both adhered with 3M77 adhesive or an equivalent product.

This has been great, in that the tops are completely waterproof, and pretty much stain proof. It also allows for an overhang of cloth around the table, so the foam edges don’t fray. After adhering, I trim the fabric so it hangs 5-6" below the table top. (This also looks a little less poker-y in the house, if I don’t remove it right away after the game.)

However, my closed cell foam tops have not liked being rolled for long, even loosely. It is easy to develop either long-lasting or permanent creases. I’ve solved this by putting a few grommets on the overhanging cloth, and hanging the topper between sessions on a basement wall.

So it would be awesome to roll neoprene up without worries about creasing. My remaining concern would be those edges. Do you think you will finish your edges in some way? Or does your setup make that a non-issue by dropping the sheet into an insert?

Last edited:
That’s a big positive if it gets instantly flat, with no creases.

I’ve made several toppers with 1/4” closed cell foam, with waterproof outdoor fabric attached on the playing side, and a faux leather backing which prevents sliding. Both adhered with 3M77 adhesive or an equivalent product.

This has been great, in that the tops are completely waterproof, and pretty much stain proof. It also allows for an overhang of cloth around the table, so the foam edges don’t fray. After adhering, I trim the fabric so it hangs 5-6" below the table top. (This also looks a little less poker-y in the house, if I don’t remove it right away after the game.)

However, my closed cell foam tops have not liked being rolled for long, even loosely. It is easy to develop either long-lasting or permanent creases. I’ve solved this by putting a few grommets on the overhanging cloth, and hanging the topper between sessions on a basement wall.

So it would be awesome to roll neoprene up without worries about creasing. My remaining concern would be those edges. Do you think you will finish your edges in some way? Or does your setup make that a non-issue by dropping the sheet into an insert?
I have had the same experience with some closed cell foam and rolling it It gets used every game, but I can see the creases (but it gets covered with speed cloth, so it doesn't matter). I also have a PCF topper, which (I believe) is also closed cell foam, and basically lives rolled up. It gets used on average once a year (and more now because we open an extra table to space out players during COVID). It looks as new as day 1. It also falls flat instantly, where the other foam takes a few minutes to fall into place.

My take is that not all closed cell foam is the same.

My take is that not all closed cell foam is the same.

Entirely possible. Both of my toppers were made with closed cell sheets from a local shop. 1/4" in both cases. I’ve tried verrryy loosely rolling them, tied gently with string, with some ugly results. Would love to know if there is a less crease-y type.

There is a loop that goes all around my table, sticks out 3/4 of an inch, and it hides the imperfections in my trimming. I could fit some quarter round in there or something similar. But, there are times I will want the black surface. Like if we are playing a space game, or we are using dry erase markers. So for those reasons I will not finish the edges. It’s a unique set of circumstances though. And I took a lot of time trimming, so my few errors are off by less than 1/8 inch.

My 5mm sheet arrived in the mail rolled up and wrapped in plastic. It laid flat immediately upon unrolling it. I did not notice any factory creasing in my piece except a little at the very ends where my sheet was cut from the bigger roll at the warehouse.

Entirely possible. Both of my toppers were made with closed cell sheets from a local shop. 1/4" in both cases. I’ve tried verrryy loosely rolling them, tied gently with string, with some ugly results. Would love to know if there is a less crease-y type.
In my limited experience, I would say that if it feels difficult for it's thickness to roll up, it will resist creasing.

Still have 5 or 6 samples I can cut and send. I'm not sure I'd buy anything else for any table I buy or make ever.

If you stumble on this thread in the future, PM me, the offer stands as long as I have samples (as of today, 4 or 5 left probably), but I'm closing the thread and not following it any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom