Tourney Home Tourney Chip Amount (1 Viewer)

If planning on using 15/5/6/2 stacks, I'd purchase the following:
180 x T100
60 x T500
100 x T1000
60 x T5000
------------------
400 chips

But personally, I'd go with 10/8/10/1 stacks, using this 400-chip set breakdown:

120 x T100
100 x T500
130 x T1000
50 x T5000

Includes 12 extra T1000 chips plus 38 extra T5000 chips for color-ups, re-buys, and starting stacks larger than 20k. I think it's ultimately more playable, and better than spending money on 60 more T100s that will only see play during the first few levels.

Ah that makes sense, thanks for the help!

The only reason I disagree with @BGinGA is that the T100 will be in play for 7-9 levels of play depending on the structure. Once they are removed, the tournament will generally last another 5-8 levels depending on the structure. But by then, people will likely have busted so the T1000s will be spread among fewer players. Thus the remaining players will have more than 6 on average.

So to me it makes sense to have more T100 than T1000 in the starting stack. Though 10/4/7/2 is perfectly serviceable as well. But sticking with my 15/5/6/2:

150 - T100
50 - T500
60 - T1000
68 - T5000

This is the bare minimum if only using T5000 to chip up the T100 and T500. And it supports 1 rebuy per player. You can play with the amount of T1000 a bit and add extras as you see fit.

Having more T500 and T1000 chips in play initially greatly assists when breaking down the T5000 chips introduced as re-buys. Extra T100s won't really help that effort at all.

Having more T500 and T1000 chips in play initially greatly assists when breaking down the T5000 chips introduced as re-buys. Extra T100s won't really help that effort at all.
I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't do more T500 or T1000, but it's not necessary to have a lot of them in play. My reasoning again being that as people bust, the ones that do exist or now distributed between fewer players. I generally keep about 10 extra T1000 to assist with chips ups anyway. Though if you want to be as economical on chips as possible, this isn't absolutely necessary. Again, nothing wrong with either way here. I'm just erring on the side of having as few chips as necessary to get the job done. Any tinkering beyond that is perfectly fine.

And none of that addresses the text you quoted.

Using 15x T100 and 2x T5000 works fine for an event with no re-buys. For re-buy events, a 10/8/10/1 breakdown is far superior.

Using 15x T100 and 2x T5000 works fine for an event with no re-buys. For re-buy events, a 10/8/10/1 breakdown is far superior.
I'm confused. Why do rebuys change anything? If the 15/5/6/2 breakdown is okay for non-rebuys, then why does adding more 5k into the mix change anything? A person that rebuys should fairly easily be able to buy back 5-10k worth of lower denoms. It's not like the lower demons they started with left play. They just may not be able to buy 10k with from a single player. You could have some extra 1k on hand to make the rebuy stack 5/3 if that's a huge concern.

I'm just not seeing how this is a big issue. Again, I'm not saying your method is flat out wrong. If someone has the extra chips or is okay buying extra chips, then use them. I sure do. I'm just looking at this from a pure economic standpoint of trying to use as few chips as possible to save on the number chips that need to be bought.

When it comes to giving advice on how many chips to buy for tournaments. I start with the smallest number of chips necessary. Then if someone wants to go beyond that, that's fine.

Not going to get into an argument with somebody who claims to be trying to 'use as few chips as possible' yet advocates for 15x smallest denomination in the starting stacks. Clueless yet argumentative, like usual -- make up your mind.

Back on ignore you go.

Not going to get into an argument with somebody who claims to be trying to 'use as few chips as possible' yet advocates for 15x smallest denomination in the starting stacks. Clueless yet argumentative, like usual -- make up your mind.

Back on ignore you go.
Wow. I'm not even arguing with you. I agree with aspects of what you are saying. My point is that none of the ways to do this are bad. But I think the best starting point for recommending tournament sets is to start at the minimum and build on that as you see fit. There can be multiple ways to do things and I can like them all. I'm not sure why you don't think that's possible or okay.

Back on ignore you go
No. Now way. Efter a hard day's work one of the few pleasures I have is watching the two of you fight. I'm not letting the ignore function ruin that for me!

@BGinGA, what @Legend5555 said was
"Wow. I'm not even arguing with you. I agree with aspects of what you are saying. My point is that none of the ways to do this are bad. But I think the best starting point for recommending tournament sets is to start at the minimum and build on that as you see fit. There can be multiple ways to do things and I can like them all. I'm not sure why you don't think that's possible or okay. Also, BBA is superior to individual antes, which are superior to no antes!"

No. Now way. Efter a hard day's work one of the few pleasures I have is watching the two of you fight. I'm not letting the ignore function ruin that for me!

@BGinGA, what @Legend5555 said was
"Wow. I'm not even arguing with you. I agree with aspects of what you are saying. My point is that none of the ways to do this are bad. But I think the best starting point for recommending tournament sets is to start at the minimum and build on that as you see fit. There can be multiple ways to do things and I can like them all. I'm not sure why you don't think that's possible or okay. Also, BBA is superior to individual antes, which are superior to no antes!"
Well done sir.

Why do you recommend so many T500 ?
I think 10/6/11/1 would be a more efficient breakdown...
6 x T500 per starting stack should be more than enough, no ?

In the end, it does not change a lot but I just wanted to understand.
In T10.000 stacks with T25 chips, we often recommend 8/8/6/6 and never (or at least very rarely) 8/8/8/5 ...

In the end, it does not change a lot but I just wanted to understand.
In T10.000 stacks with T25 chips, we often recommend 8/8/6/6 and never (or at least very rarely) 8/8/8/5 ...
I agree. T500 are the least used chip. 8 of them is a little overkill IMO. It's not going to hurt anything to use them. But it's bad of your goal is being efficient regarding the total number of chips needed to run the tournament.

I feel like BG was missing my point. If overall efficiency in terms of the total number of chips needed is something that matters, then 10/4/7/2 is what you want. But it doesn't hurt to make changes if you can afford to and want some more chips in play.

I use 15/5/6/2 if I have the chips to spare as I like to reduce change making early on. And the T100 is used to make more blinds than the T1000 over the course of an average home tournament. So by the time the T1000 is being used for blinds some people have probably busted and on average the people left will have more than just 6 T1000 chips. If you want to go crazy and and even go 15/5/10/1, then do it! More chips can be fun. It just depends on what you want. All these options work.

10/6/11/1 is fine, unless it's a 20K re-buy event that uses 4x T5000 chips. Under those circumstances, the extra T500s on the table make breaking down a re-buy stack into playable chips much easier.

10/6/11/1 is fine, unless it's a 20K re-buy event that uses 4x T5000 chips. Under those circumstances, the extra T500s on the table make breaking down a re-buy stack into playable chips much easier.

Makes sense, thank you !

Stealing this.
So if I run a 20K starting stacks Tournament for 10 players with 10/8/10/1 and the following breakdown :

T100 x 160
T500 x 100
T1K x 120
T5K x 100

I'm good to go? If I want to add in 1 full 20K rebuy per player maximum, can I just use T5Ks? Will the pots breaking down be a problem if there are too many T5Ks in play and not enough T1Ks?

So if I run a 20K starting stacks Tournament for 10 players with 10/8/10/1 and the following breakdown :

T100 x 160
T500 x 100
T1K x 120
T5K x 100

I'm good to go? If I want to add in 1 full 20K rebuy per player maximum, can I just use T5Ks? Will the pots breaking down be a problem if there are too many T5Ks in play and not enough T1Ks?
10 players with 20k starting stacks (10/8/10/1) requires:
100 x T100
80 x T500
100 X T1000
60 x T5000 (includes 10x for T100/T500 color-ups and 40x for up to 10 re-buys)

With 100x total T1000 chips in play (and 15k/player in non-T5000s), breaking down re-buy T5000s into playable chips should be no issue.

Your likely breakdown at tournament end will be roughly 100x T1000 and 30x T5000, which is fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom