Home Game Expenses (1 Viewer)

PokerJoe747

Sitting Out
Reaction score
How does everyone get reimbursed for expenses of hosting home games (e.g., bottled waters, pizza etc.)?

Each home game I play in is different. The regular one I play in we each chip in an agreed upon amount to cover the snacks and drinks since we go to the same host's house every game. Another group I play with we rotate homes and the host covers the snacks and drinkswhen it is at their house. If you play with the same group, I would just discuss it and decide how your group wants to do it. If I'm a guest at someone else's home game I usually just talk to the host on the side and offer a few dollars towards the refreshments.

My game is a bunch of Millennials and Gen Z, so typically people will just Venmo for something larger like splitting a pizza order. We’re BYOB if you want something specific that isn’t from the random collection of leftover beer. And then we just leave out a little snack fund jar that many will contribute to upon cash out, but my wife and I enjoy hosting, and don’t demand anything on that front.

I’ll always contribute to a host one way or another if I’m playing in someone else’s game.

We only have a pool of maybe 12 people who play on and off in my home game, when we get together they usually just bring something like a sixpack soda, some water, some snacks and sometimes someone just is like "ok pizza is on me today".

I dont ask them to do that, they just do it. Its not about the money for us, its only about having a fun night together so no one really cares if you lose the 30$ you won in poker because you ordered a big pizza for everyone. Its like a normal evening with friends so if we wouldnt play poker I would still provide snacks and drinks for them.

We only play 1 table, so I can see why this might get way more expensive if you have 27 people in your garage hosting multiple tables tho.

I usually have beers, sodas, wine for everyone. Sometimes I make dinner and other times we order in. Only have one table of 8 players including myself going so it’s fine. If we order in food, everyone sends me money through a venmo like app.

When i host, i will provide the drinks (water, coffee/tea and soft drink) and also snacks & cup noodles for free.

My group will bring their own alcohol if they want to drink as I don’t drink.

Also when we order takeaway like pizza, we will usually split the bills.

Likewise too when I visit my friends when they are hosting.

For local public game, they usually collect an entry fee and also dealer tips so drink and snacks are usually provided as well.

I get reimbursed by winning :LOL: :laugh:

But seriously, I provide everything. I try to limit my personal expense to one buy in ($100), which isn't hard to do, I generally spend about half this. I accept offerings of food, beer, whiskey, and loose change at cash out, which many people do. But I don't require it.

Food tip jar, nothing is required to eat my food and drink bottled water or soda. BYOB is in effect if you want alcohol.

If I play in some else’s game I’ll take a card setup and offer $ for food.

I host every second month. We are 13 regular players in the group. I provide drinks (soda, beer, whisky), snacks and food.
Some times the guests bring some beers too and some times not.
Adding poker chips and stuff this is a serious minus profit for me but I love it.
I like to host and I like that buddys I know from different places now know each other. That's the big W for me.

Cash game: BYOB, players bring snacks

Tournament: Bonus chips for group snack

Other than that, I provide hotdogs and soft drinks

Oh, damn, I love bonus chips for a group snack. That is immediately being implemented in our next tourney.

I feel as though if you are a host, you’re ultimately doing it because you love playing poker. The money you burn on nice chips, cards, table should be all for you. Don’t make your guests try pay for that new set of solid CPC hotstamps ;) that also goes for the food and beverage (unless you’re putting on a 3 course dinner and even then, you shouldn’t be doing it expecting people to pay. But if they’re good people, they will tend to chip in anyway.)

I provide some beers/soft drinks and snacks but people bring other stuff to drink as well. I never ask for money to host. However sometimes the guys will round down their cashout to the nearest $5 or $10 (we play $25 tournaments or 20c/50c cash) and pass it to me which is always appreciated.

Tell me you aren't the one who shops in your house, without telling me.
Shop at the wholesale club. You can get a 30-pack of all beef franks for 9 or 10 bucks. If I have 8 players, that’s enough for two nights. 16 pack of buns is 5 or 6 bucks. (And those are one of the things that are actually often cheaper at the grocery store.) You can get a bag of assorted Hershey's candy for $12 and that’s big enough for two poker nights even with the prolific amounts of weed that some of my players smoke.

Shop at the wholesale club. You can get a 30-pack of all beef franks for 9 or 10 bucks. If I have 8 players, that’s enough for two nights. 16 pack of buns is 5 or 6 bucks. (And those are one of the things that are actually often cheaper at the grocery store.) You can get a bag of assorted Hershey's candy for $12 and that’s big enough for two poker nights even with the prolific amounts of weed that some of my players smoke.
This seems a tad light - but okay, I'll give it to you. Maybe $40/game for a single table.

BYOS(hit). All I offer is poker, booze and use of oven, fridge and bathroom. If you want snacks, food, beer, you bring it yourself. That way I don't have to deal with conversations like:
Why do I have to pay full price when I don't drink beer / Eat snacks / Only had 2 pizza slices / Leave early / Came late
I also don't have to deal with people leaving early and taking shit with them because "they paid for it", and some would just hurricane down anything offered to get most value of what they paid. Basically they're 8-year olds...

Mostly I don't...
I just require players to bring their own beers.
This is me - although if we order pizza in I will just get Venmos from all players.

I have started a new incentive to arrive early that also generates a small amount for the game hosting fees:
Arrive before 6:45 you get a free single use show 'em chip.
Arrive after 6:45, you can buy a single use show 'em chip for $5 if you want, or go without.

Gets people to my cash game on time and generates $10-$15 usually for my hosting expense. Win win.

Is it BYOW - ?

How does everyone get reimbursed for expenses of hosting home games (e.g., bottled waters, pizza etc.)?
I don't, I have a budget about 200 bucks per game, mostly goes towards food, beat the game or have all the fun.

For cash games I find most players will down their payouts as a contribution for food.
I.e. someone winning $28 will only cash out for $25.
Big winners will usually throw in a few more bucks

I take $100 out of the tips for me dealing my home game every night for the food, drinks, and alcohol provided

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom