Home Game Chip Breakdown Theory (1 Viewer)

shorticus

4 of a Kind
Tourney Director
Supporter
Reaction score
I was recently having a conversation with @RichMahogany about home games, and he discussed breaking down a chip set for a home game. I thought he had some good ideas so I'm building this thread in hopes of getting more ideas as well as sharing information about what I've learned from you all and from experience. Below, you will find my idea for building a poker set for a 8-10 player table, and I would appreciate your comments/thoughts about the breakdown. Please share your own ideas or current chip breakdowns as well.

Blinders (100) - Blinders are defined as the lowest denomination chip in the game. In a .25/.50 blind game, you should have .25 fracs so you should get approximately 10/12 blinds per person per table.
Workhorses (300) - These are the chips that you would mostly want to use during your game. It should be the "middle chip" between the blinders and the "Changers". This chip should be the most used chip in the set.
Changers (200) - Changers are the chips that you issue in order to keep the workhorse chips moving. Basically put, you are using these to make change with the bigger stacks and keep your workhorses and blinders evenly distributed around the table. You can also issue these out as needed during the course of your game.
Future Proofers (100) - Future proofers provide you some room for flexibility in the future. This can be one denomination of chips or multiple denoms. It's up to you as only you know how your table can potentially progress. You know your players, so you would have to figure this one out on your own.

So for a .25/.50 game, the breakdown would look like this.
.25 - 100
$1 - 300
$5 - 200
$25/$100 - 80/20 (optional adjustment based on your preference)

In my opinion, this is an ideal set for any level of play. I'm wondering if anyone has any other variations, or thoughts/suggestions on improving this build. Ideally, this will be the way I build my sets moving forward, and I'll be adjusting my current sets to match this makeup as well.

As always, if this post is in the wrong location, please let me know and I'll move accordingly.

Thanks for reading and sharing your opinions.

That’s interesting. @RichMahogany says the same thing about $5. More $5s less $1s.

Why would you say that the $5 is the workhorse in this scenario? Curious to hear about your reason for that distribution

One rationale for more $5s is that on later streets, that chip becomes the workhorse. I personally would prefer to bet $7 or $12 using $5s and $1s rather than just $1s.

So you all think the 5 is the workhorse in .25/.50 and $1/$1 games?

You can't say the 1 or the 5 is the workhorse universally for 50c/1$ , because it depends on how your game plays. If the game plays more like 1/2 then you need more 5s

In your example, I'd advocate for 200 x $1 and 300 (minimum) x$5 per table. 200 x $1 is a barrel per player at a 10max table. That's more than plenty $1s, and I feel you'd be short on $5s (which I would consider the workhorse chip) if you only had 200 total.

That’s interesting. @RichMahogany says the same thing about $5. More $5s less $1s.

Why would you say that the $5 is the workhorse in this scenario? Curious to hear about your reason for that distribution

I was about to post the same thing. Also, all games play differently. I like to build 600 chips sets for a one table game.

100 x .25
200 x 1
200 x 5
100 x 25

I average about 1600 to 2200 on any given night. If the 100's are really cool then I might go 80/20 with the 25's and 100's.

You can't say the 1 or the 5 is the workhorse universally for 50c/1$ , because it depends on how your game plays. If the game plays more like 1/2 then you need more 5s

Exactly. Sometimes my .25/.50 game plays like a deep 1/1 game and the fives are definitely the workhorse.

Just to clarify, I didn’t mean the chipset was ideal, I meant the setup. Obviously, the values would change as the blind amounts change. I.e. you wouldn’t need fracs in a 1/2 or 2/5 game.

Last edited:
As everyone has said, more $5 for sure. Unless your 25/50c game a $50 max buy-in with lots of limping most post flop betting will be using $5 chips more than anything. The $1’s are more like a secondary blind chip.

All of my sets have at least 500 $5’s in them with most having more, one set even having 10 racks of them.

The other way I like to look at is 10 blinds chips per person ($1’s in my game) and 3 stacks (60) of workhorse chip ($5’s in my game) per player. We play 9 handed max so 1 rack of $1’s and between 500-600 $5’s to cover a single table. Then 2 racks of rebuy chips ($25’s) and a few barrels of big chips for crazy nights ($100’s).

Last edited:
I think the $5 is the workhorse chip in most games up to 1/2 NL. I have decided to actually omit fracs in most of my sets as they are simply placeholders and rarely if ever do I see an unraised flop at .25/.50.

I think the $5 is the workhorse chip in most games up to 1/2 NL. I have decided to actually omit fracs in most of my sets as they are simply placeholders and rarely if ever do I see an unraised flop at .25/.50.

Very true. And if a set doesn’t have any fracs and the players want a smaller game there is no rule against having a single $1 BB only.

I was about to post the same thing. Also, all games play differently. I like to build 600 chips sets for a one table game.

100 x .25
200 x 1
200 x 5
100 x 25

I average about 1600 to 2200 on any given night. If the 100's are really cool then I might go 80/20 with the 25's and 100's.
This is exactly how I do it. If I wanted to add more chips then it would be $5s. And usually I do the 80/20 thing for a rack of $25s/$100s.

If you think of the $ amount there is not much sense in adding more racks of $1s (except of moar chips = better!). It will only add four 100bb buy ins in a .25/.25 game - and even less in bigger games.

@w00zie completely agree. I've decided that if I add more chips, it will be $5's because they are the most valuable in a game.

I am learning more and more about hosting games by being on this site. I really appreciate everyone's input. My wallet and I have differing opinions of this site LOL!

I really like the breakdown in the op. My .25-.50 set is 100*.25, 275*1, 200*5, 25*25

But to get my hideaway chipcos in play last time I hosted we played .50-.50 and I issued 6 racks of singles before breaking out a few fives. I think it worked out pretty well :).

It depends on your game, but I think too fives makes the stacks pretty short. At the smaller limits

I've never had the opportunity to put $100 in game with .25/.50 games.
So regarding the OP I guess you can lower the "Future Proofers" to add more "Changers" and "Workhorses"
is very likely that your game progress from .25/.50 to $1/$1 game or $1/ $3 game

dibs, if you have any left. ;)

I like to have 300 $1s for my $0.25/$0.50 game, but I also think you need more than 200 $5s as well.

Here's my set up for Saturday. Each player will be getting 23 $1s. Probably overkill, but I like to get lots of chips on the table.
IMG_20190707_185019.jpg

My preference is very similar to everyone else, except I like to have 120 fracs. I have a lot of limpers and $1.75 preflop bets, etc in my regular game.
200 x $1s has always been sufficient.

The $5s seem to vary depending on how the game plays.

I've played in small .25/.50 games where one rack of $5s doesn't even get fully used.
I've also played in large .25/.50 games where more than 2 racks of $5s are used.

I can say that the one mistake I made with my first set is that I purchased 200 fracs. It feels like it almost encourages people to limp in because they just have so many damn fracs in front of them. I think chip psychology is a real thing. Less fracs = Less limps and more high end chips = stronger bets.

I was recently having a conversation with @RichMahogany about home games, and he discussed breaking down a chip set for a home game. I thought he had some good ideas so I'm building this thread in hopes of getting more ideas as well as sharing information about what I've learned from you all and from experience. Below, you will find my idea for building a poker set for a 8-10 player table, and I would appreciate your comments/thoughts about the breakdown. Please share your own ideas or current chip breakdowns as well.

Blinders (100) - Blinders are defined as the lowest denomination chip in the game. In a .25/.50 blind game, you should have .25 fracs so you should get approximately 10/12 blinds per person per table.
Workhorses (300) - These are the chips that you would mostly want to use during your game. It should be the "middle chip" between the blinders and the "Changers". This chip should be the most used chip in the set.
Changers (200) - Changers are the chips that you issue in order to keep the workhorse chips moving. Basically put, you are using these to make change with the bigger stacks and keep your workhorses and blinders evenly distributed around the table. You can also issue these out as needed during the course of your game.
Future Proofers (100) - Future proofers provide you some room for flexibility in the future. This can be one denomination of chips or multiple denoms. It's up to you as only you know how your table can potentially progress. You know your players, so you would have to figure this one out on your own.

So for a .25/.50 game, the breakdown would look like this.
.25 - 100
$1 - 300
$5 - 200
$25/$100 - 80/20 (optional adjustment based on your preference)

In my opinion, this is an ideal set for any level of play. I'm wondering if anyone has any other variations, or thoughts/suggestions on improving this build. Ideally, this will be the way I build my sets moving forward, and I'll be adjusting my current sets to match this makeup as well.

As always, if this post is in the wrong location, please let me know and I'll move accordingly.

Thanks for reading and sharing your opinions.
Classifying chips based on their ROLE is a really smart way to think of them.

Previously, I thought you would just want to have the most of the small denomination. Brilliant!

It gets even weirder if you need a set that can play across multiple stakes and game types. I'm putting together a set that needs to play NL from .25/.25 to .5/1 and mixed limit from .50/1 to 2/4. So my 1 is for sure the workhorse during limit, and I need quite a bit of them. So the breakdown I'm looking to get is:

160-200 - .25
400-500 - 1
300-350 - 5
50-75 - 25
Total bank in the $3200-3500 region.

@Legend5555 I'm probably gonna sound like a broken record here, but I think you could drop those ones (even in a 10 player game) to about 300 and add more 5's. It just makes your game more flexible.

Thoughts on the multiples?

I asked a similar question elsewhere: I’m planning on denom’s of 1/5/25/100
But when watching WSOP I noticed that coloring up amounted to a barrel of X = the new colored up chip. So maybe it should be 1/5/20/100 bc
1x20=20
5x20=100

But I prefer to have classic green ‘quarters’

Maybe the racking up is more important for tourneys?

Idk, but the denomination progression is another aspect worth analyzing - one I’m currently wresting with

Thoughts?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom