Higher Tournament Denoms (1 Viewer)

That said, some true chippers will build a multi-purpose set (or sets) that includes all of those denominations (and more), capable of covering a wide range of events with different field sizes and starting stacks:
T25
T100
T500
T1000
T2000
T5000
T10000
T25000
T50000
T100000
T500000
I actually did this [Wow, a true chipper!!] with relabeled Milanos [Boooo!! Fake chipper!! :mad:]. I stopped at 25K though. Milanos up to 1k, from 2k and up I used Royal 43mm.

Then the problem morphs into being capable of creating ten distinctive stellar chip designs that work well together.
Well, not all need to work well together. :sneaky: No need to worry about dirty stack issues between e.g. 2k and 5k.

It depends on what you want to do. I used to play in a cardroom that ran a base T25, 30K. I think the 10k made a lot of sense there - one of those in each starting stack, along with two 5ks. It wasnt necessary in the beginning, but it helped later on, as this tournament would get 60-120 runners.

I’d agree that the vast majority of home tournaments don’t need anything beyond a T5k. If you’re running a base T25 and you own T25ks, I think in most cases you’re out of your mind. And even if your base is T100, I Can’t imagine how many tables and rebuys you’d need to justify a T25k.

For 30K events it's indeed quite useful.
The only thing is that I'd use T50K instead of T25K as next chip then. If you use T25K, it means you'll have to keep the T5K in play as long as T10K are not needed anymore too.

When trying to figure out if a high-denom chip is needed, I try to visualize the heads-up portion:
  • If there is 300k in play, the 1k will probably never be colored off. Having, say, 100 T1k and 40 T5k is enough. Or 200 and 20 if you like moar chips. No need for a T25k.
  • If there is 500k in play, the tournament may very well survive to 10k/20k which is usually the first level without T1k (depending on the structure, of course). If you only have T5k, then you need 100 of them. That's perfectly fine IMO, no need for a T25k. But if they're really cool then fine, add a few, but they're not needed for playability.
  • 800k in play, that's 160 T5k. Still perfectly fine, but we're getting close to actually needing some T25k.
  • More than 1,000,000: Now we need more than 200 T5k which is a bit much, so more likely we need to add some T25k.
Based on this thinking, and on experience, my rule of thumb is that when a denom is worth 1/20 of the total chip count it's definitely not needed, but can be added for coolness sake. At around 1/30 we start treading into the "need them" territory, and at 1/50 we probably need them.

My T0.02

Last edited:
Based on this thinking, and on experience, my rule of thumb is that when a denom is worth 1/20 of the total chip count it's definitely not needed, but can be added for coolness sake. At around 1/30 we start treading into the "need them" territory, and at 1/50 we probably need them.
This is for when there's a ×4 or ×5 between the denoms. If using a T10k together with a T5k (or more commonly a T1k together with a T500 in T5 base structures) it gets a little different. A T10k is 1/50 of T500k, but the T10k is hardly needed, 100×T5k is sufficient.

Last edited:
If you want efficiency, you could do 1-5-25-100-500. Or add a bunch of zeroes to them for that high roller feel. ;)

Also, 10k is the nutz! (In some rare cases.)

full
One day...Belgium will own these again.
I would start a war over this set...

WP Sir

The 500 to 1000 jump bugs me too and because of it I just leave 500 as my biggest chip. I prefer T5 base chip over the more common T25 specifically for this reason. Odd quirk I know, but good to know there are others that don’t like it. We only play single table tournaments with T2,500 starting stacks 15/9/7/3. Usually with rebuys we get to the point where it’s down to just 100s and 500s and the stacks look pretty good like that. My set allows me 35k in play after the 25s are gone (100x100 and 500x50) so it’s not an issue. That being said I do have one barrel if T1k just in case and they came into play one time when we did a 5k starting stack 2 day mega tournament.

T10MM atarting stack. I'm getting closer to some of @grantc54 's denoms!

View attachment 900891
Beautiful set. I wish my friends liked big stacks, I’ve tried to do bigger than 10/10/7/3 and they complain about too much change. When you made that set did you consider switching the green and the red? I’m sure it’s fine once you get used to it but the 5/25 green/red thing is a little weird at first glance.

When you made that set did you consider switching the green and the red? I’m sure it’s fine once you get used to it but the 5/25 green/red thing is a little weird at first glance.

It's green and pink, actually. And since this is a tribute set I used the basic colours of the chips produced for the movie.

All of the arguments in favor of keeping the jump from denom to the next higher denom at 4x or 5x are reasonable and more efficient than the alternative.

The primary reason not to do so is because it confuses players.

If you have a relatively small group of experienced players, you can do whatever you want. My experience is that the larger the group and/or the less experience your players have, the more confusion from anything that deviates from the standard (ie, what they expect).

So $20 chips instead of $25 chips.
Or, pink $5 chips instead of red $5 chips.
Or, T2000 chips instead of T1000 or T5000 chips - all lead to confusion, putting the wrong chips in the pot, controversies at the table, etc.

So, know your crowd, and make your decisions accordingly.

So 63 chip starting stacks? I’m honestly not sure whether to love that or hate it. But it’s definitely significant!
My group loves lots of chips. Even on cash games, these fools love to hoard fracs and $1 with a $200 stack

So…. This is where we’ve ended up

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom