High Quality Mahjong Sets (2 Viewers)

moechar

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Been getting into mahjong recently, and wanted to buy a set of my own. Not sure how to judge quality levels, I know there are some vintage ones and different materials, as well as preferred weights notes by some folks on Reddit, but not really sure on what’s good and what’s not, and where to buy.

I found this one on Etsy which is advertised to be from the 70’s that looked nice: link

Any thoughts?

Using an older version of the Singapore Airlines Mahjong Set

There’s 3 versions of this. Green (newest), Blue, and Gold.

But frankly not super sure how to judge quality. These feel nice though ◡̈
Ooo I really like this one! Can anyone get it? Or do I have to have to be a Singapore airlines frequent flyer or something

I am not sure what makes a "vintage" set different or better than a new set. How do even define "vintage"? How can someone know they are buying something older? There are plenty of new set to pick from on the market.

I think you should buy a new set getting what looks good is your price range. We have three sets of tiles, one from the 1980's, one from the 2000's and one from 2010. I can't say one is better than the other - though the 1980's set was not intended for "American style" Mahjong and is short of tiles like jokers.

I found I was far more interested in the quality of the racks than tiles themselves. We have custom made mesquite racks that are used with all of our sets - those cost as much or more than the tiles. Sets are as heavy as poker chips - the case matters too if you are traveling with the set.

We play on the small round poker table. That is the best part of all. The surface is perfect, the overstuffed rail comfortable. A drink cart for each player holds their snacks, drinks and purses.

DrStrange

PS "ivory" sets are almost always "ivory colored", not century old real ivory. Such a set would be nosebleed expensive and could come with legal issues. My mother was forever buying "antique ivory" sets for us as gifts. Not only short on tiles but never anything but cheap plastic. They all ended up at the thrift shop.

This is probably my favorite in recent times

A79F3507-4A68-4D95-B8FF-851574F597B5.jpeg

https://shop.brunellocucinelli.com/...-travel/decor-sets/mahjong-231MLWOGAM821.html

^ I gave that one a Like until I saw the price tag ($9100.00), then I changed my face... :D I don't like MJ THAT much... (but it IS a really sweet looking set!!) lol

I recently got a couple of cheap sets off of OfferUp https://offerup.com/search?q=mah+jong - about $45 or so a set. I/we don't play MJ very often but the wives of some of the guys in our group play so I got a couple of sets to use to teach my family the basics...

Moechar - that "vintage" one seems pretty overpriced to me (and Not "vintage" IMO - IMO, any "vintage" set won't have those secondary numbers on the tiles for the people who don't know how to read Chinese number characters - at least, all the sets my extended family and friends had when I was a kid never had those secondary numbers...)

Here's a cheap set from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Chinese-Version-Asian-Home/dp/B001NW0B4E/ (but it doesn't have the secondary numbers and it also doesn't come with sticks). It's possible that this is the dice chip equivalent in MJ sets, I don't know... lol

Last edited:
I gave that one a Like until I saw the price tag ($9100.00), then I changed my face... :D

I don't like MJ THAT much... lol

I recently got a couple of cheap sets off of OfferUp https://offerup.com/search?q=mah+jong - about $45 or so a set. I/we don't play MJ very often but the wives of some of the guys in our group play so I got a couple of sets to use to teach my family the basics...
Can I come to Cali and you guys teach me? I have to catch up with you on some BJJ stuff soon :)

How far is NY Chinatown from you? haha ;)

If you come out this way, definitely we can roll some (just take it easy on me - you young, in the prime of your life guys don't know your own strength sometimes!) and play some (cards & MJ)! :)

My in laws have a very old authentic ivory set they bought in Hong Kong at least 50 years ago. Who knows? Maybe wifey will end up with it.

How far is NY Chinatown from you? haha ;)

If you come out this way, definitely we can roll some (just take it easy on me - you young, in the prime of your life guys don't know your own strength sometimes!) and play some (cards & MJ)! :)
I’m in Chinatown right now :) it’s super close haha like 45 min. Commute by train

I bought a set when I was in Shanghai for a project a few years ago. My kids are at the age where they might enjoy playing. Does anyone have a good resource for rules and how to play?

Yo that is my SPOT! If you go to the jersey meetup maybe I can bring you some hahaha. The one in the basement right??
Hell yea! I got my staple order ready to roll. Yep, down those basement stairs, good memories.

We'd roll in and my buddies and I would do a table order usually of:
Soups
Steamed fish
Snails Cantonese style
Pork chop Peking style
Mixed vegetables
Fried rice
Those were staples then one of us usually chose a random item from the menu.

You?!

I reckon all chinatowns should have at least a few decent options. I really like my set that I bought from HK.

What style do you usually play? I'm finding myself more into riichi mahjong online these days, and I've been liking the AMOS brand sets so far from Amazon jp. Riichi mahjong sets are usually very small though, and I've been trying to look for a 37mm Marushin set for ages..

We'd roll in and my buddies and I would do a table order usually of:
Soups
Steamed fish
Snails Cantonese style
Pork chop Peking style
Mixed vegetables
Fried rice
Those were staples then one of us usually chose a random item from the menu.

You?!
Damn snails! Y’all really cultured I have yet to eat snails from any cuisine hahaha.

We usually get pork fried rice, roasted duck, a bunch of other things I can’t remember hahaha. Man I should’ve went there today :( u making me have regrets haha we’re gonna have to connect via pm about this
I reckon all chinatowns should have at least a few decent options. I really like my set that I bought from HK.

What style do you usually play? I'm finding myself more into riichi mahjong online these days, and I've been liking the AMOS brand sets so far from Amazon jp. Riichi mahjong sets are usually very small though, and I've been trying to look for a 37mm Marushin set for ages..
I’ve just started learning but for now sticking to the HK/traditional style! In Chinatown a lot of the options felt kinda meh, tbh maybe pcf is to blame for my desire for luxury gaming items hahaha. Have you tried Etsy? Seems to be a variety of options there!

I’ve just started learning but for now sticking to the HK/traditional style! In Chinatown a lot of the options felt kinda meh, tbh maybe pcf is to blame for my desire for luxury gaming items hahaha. Have you tried Etsy? Seems to be a variety of options there!

I haven't had a look at Etsy so I can't tell you for certain. I do know that the best, and the most renown luxury tiles are ones which are hand crafted by vendors in HK. These usually go for more than $300 depending on the reputation of the vendor. However, they are very hard to find anywhere else other than in HK lol (it's a dying art and vendors are usually old folks with no online prescence)

I would say though to try and get a decent set over $100 and see how you like them. Quality tiles should feel decently heavy, and not like cheap plastic (I believe they are made with a blend of different plastics). The price in sets though are due to the vendor's skills in engravement, which are not found in mass produced MJ sets. Here's a picture of an engraved one bamboo, for reference:

1676770501244.png

Hope this helps in your search!

My first reaction with that etsy/vintage and wood backed sets is the tiles have non-uniform backs. Would you play with a deck of cards with backs that weren't all identical?

I do know that the best, and the most renown luxury tiles are ones which are hand crafted by vendors in HK. These usually go for more than $300 depending on the reputation of the vendor. However, they are very hard to find anywhere else other than in HK lol (it's a dying art and vendors are usually old folks with no online prescence)

My first reaction with that etsy/vintage and wood backed sets is the tiles have non-uniform backs. Would you play with a deck of cards with backs that weren't all identical?
Ahhh that’s a really good point. Thanks for pointing that out! I think @fishsaybloop is helping me find what I need over in Singapore!
I need to go to HK and connect with this guy

Did someone mention Mahjong :LOL: :laugh:

Mahjong is like a very popular pastime game over here, think I been playing since I was 7-8 years old.

You can also use chips and only need 100 chips for a mahjong chip set

I not into Mahjong collection but GLWS mate

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom