Hi, My Name Is Anthony And I Lost Three-Thousand Dollars Today (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Oy vey, some days you're the fist, and some days you're the face (WARNING: Bad Beats and Grumbling Ahead!)

Playing in the 1/2 PLO with a mandatory $5 button straddle and unlimited restraddles. Generally I dominate this game with a really great track record, but today was going to be the exception.

Buyins are $200-$1,000 and I buyin for the max. There's a few gamblers that buyin 200-400 and try to just play bingo preflop and spin it up with a variety of weak holdings (generally stuff like three card rundowns with a dangler and one suit). And then a few deeper-stacked fish as well.

Early on I was actually doing pretty well, having chipped up to $1,450. But it was all going to go sideways. Got involved in a few hands where I'd have some strong wraps that whiffed and before you knew it I was back down to $850. Then this hand happened:

Hero: $850
SB: $150
Villain: $900
Button: $1,300

SB (bad gambler who likes to play Bingo preflop sitting on $150) limps for $5
Hero UTG with :as::ac::qc::5h: limps $5
Villain (bad reg who won high five figures in a tournament within the past year) in MP raises to $30
Button who had straddled (crazy gambler that plays garbage constantly) calls $30
SB rips it in for $150
Hero repots to $450 (other numbers may be off, been a rough day but I remember this was the pot size raise)
Villain cold-calls $450

Flop: :6d::6h::7c:

Hero first to act puts his last $400 in
Villain snap calls and turns over one card the :6s:
Hero is wondering how the fuck Villain has a 6 in his hand and at showdown reveals:

:3h::4h::5c::6s:

Hero knew Villain was bad, but didn't realize he was THIS bad. He called off half his chips with 3456 lol what the actual fuck? And with a 667 board that looks pretty good for Aces, especially given Villains range should be strong broadway holdings, good Kings or the other Aces in this spot, possibly a double suited rundown like QJT9

REBUY!

Shortly after this hand takes place:

SB: $1,300
BB: $200
Hero: $850

BB (bingo player sitting on $200) straddles to $20

Hero is UTG+1 with :kc::ks::4c::2s: calls $20
Two callers of $20
SB (crazy gambler) calls $20
BB straddler shoves $200
Hero repots to $500 (again, previous numbers may be slightly off but I recall my pot size bet was $500)

In these spots Hero shows up with AAxx approximately 80% or more of the time, as otherwise he's trying to keep pots small and see flops, as this cast of characters will call off with very bad holdings and we can be in good spots equity-wise against them. But if Hero can get stacks in pre with good Aces or create an SPR low enough that a flop shove is automatic he does so. In this particular spot Hero felt that he held the best hand against these opponents and could isolate the Button.

SB starts saying "Aces?" and winds up cold-calling

Flop: :ad::5s::8c:

SB says POT and Hero has to fold, SB turns over: :ah::5h::6h::9d: (so he's worried I have Aces but he still called me with this)

My last hand another crazy gambler had straddled pre to $10, bunch of callers, he pops it to $50 when it gets around to him, think we're four-handed to the flop:

:tc::6c::3h:

I have :ac::9c::7h::5d: and wind up getting it in three ways with the nut flush draw and two gutshot draws to the nuts

all-in cold caller has :6d::6s::5s::4s:
raising straddle has :ts::td::8c::2h: (I have no idea what he was doing raising preflop either lol)

so equity wise I was actually in decent shape with 42% equity, same as the guy with top set, while the other player was under 15% equity. Unfortunately turn was a King, and river paired the 3 and that was it for me, I reached my threshold of pain for the day.

Well, hopefully I've gotten all the missed draws out of my system and will dominate at SQM this week. Bring your bankrolls fellas, I'm in a mood to gamble!

I can’t imagine playing PLO for any meaningful amount of money. It just seems too damn swingy and the particular game you were playing in seems especially swingy. If I had to play in that game I think I would almost exclusively stick to post-flop play and almost never bet pot pre-flop.

I can’t imagine playing PLO for any meaningful amount of money. It just seems too damn swingy and the particular game you were playing in seems especially swingy. If I had to play in that game I think I would almost exclusively stick to post-flop play and almost never bet pot pre-flop.

Generally my strategy is to see flops when possible. However, I will get it in pre or commit most of my stack pre with hands that make sense to do it

Generally I destroy this game for a really good hourly. Today just was one of those rare days where it all went to shit

My hourly in this game AFTER todays loss is still $85/hr

That's a 1/2/5 game with a max buyin of 1k
It definitely sucks to take a loss but at least it’s a “normal” loss of only 3 buy-ins and not an absolute massacre 7-8 buy-in loss. As you said your hourly win rate is still on point so you can chalk it up to variance and move on to the next session.

Which hand(s) do you find fault with?

I am just starting to get deeper into PLO, but I really don't like the re-pot line in the first hand. The :5h: really does not play well with the other cards. It's a fine hand to call or even open raise, but I don't think I am ripping 200+ bigs against two players that are also splashing here.

The other hands seem okay. Easy fold on the KK hand, and villian holding an ace probably won't believe you have the one combo of AA left. It's Omaha outflops happen. Third hand is a big draw that missed, nothing wrong there either.

Keep your head up. Stay focused on your game and let the losses roll off your back. I've seen a lot of good players go on losing steaks because it gets in their head and affects their play. Bad runs are going to happen. Just push through them. It's why you have a bankroll.

Whether you're winning or losing, always try to be objective and honest with yourself. Identify your mistakes in each session, determining ahead of time what constitutes a mistake and limit yourself to x number of mistakes (could be different for each person - and I don't mean things like calling a strong hand and losing at showdown. I mean things like calling when you shouldn't have, or laying down what in hindsight was an obvious winner, etc). In poker, edges are thin, and even the best players in the world lose money when they're not on their A game. Don't let yourself be that player. If you're not at your best, pick up your chips. As you gain experience, you'll learn how to better manage losing sessions to be able to minimize the damages though. Try to identify opportunities to exploit your current image in any given session. They're there. You just need to learn to identify them and when to exploit them.

Keep up the good work though. And don't let a loss discourage you. Tomorrow is a new day.

1582012297955.gif

Seems pretty standard, except folding kings on the flop looks like a ~$200 EV mistake. These things happen, have fun at SQM!

Poker is a great analogy for life. When you think you’re on the up and doing well for yourself someone comes along to boot you in the nuts and steal your lunch money. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Just pick yourself up, dust yourself down and move on.

You can’t argue with a win rate of $85 per hour so you must be doing something right...

I am just starting to get deeper into PLO, but I really don't like the re-pot line in the first hand. The :5h: really does not play well with the other cards. It's a fine hand to call or even open raise, but I don't think I am ripping 200+ bigs against two players that are also splashing here.

I have a suited Ace and the Q works with the aces to make broadway and the 5 to make the wheel.

These are certainly not super premium Aces, but they are also not bad Aces either.

Getting it in against one bad opponent with that hand is perfectly fine as equity-wise you will have an edge

The third opponent in this hand who faced TWO reraises should be folding a lot of his hands that have an Ace in them, but I could see calling with good Kings (double suited with wrap potential KKQJ, etc) or double suited rundowns, down to 9876) but to call with a 6-high rundown for half your stack is just spewing money (except when he hits I guess lol)

I've got $10 that says you're still on tilt all weekend

I was born on tilt sir!

I've seen a lot of good players go on losing steaks because it gets in their head and affects their play. Bad runs are going to happen.

This is just part of my de-stressing process, to bitch it out so I don't stew over it

I'm still having a winning month, was just a bad day

Can I ask, how big is your bankroll?
playing 1k buyins plo for living ... you should have 100k-200k in your roll to stand the variance. especially if you live from your bankroll

7330D896-44C3-4499-9F17-81091D14CBDD.jpeg

x axis = hours
y axis = bigblinds

Im playing on nearly 30bb/hour for roughly 950 hours and I consider myself far away from beeing good enough for playing poker for living. in particular because the downswings are so hard to survive if you use your bankroll for your daily needs.

my graph is mixed stakes between 0.25/0.25€ and 2/5€

all expenses like travel costs are already removed, so it’s the real netto profit

Can I ask, how big is your bankroll?
playing 1k buyins plo for living ... you should have 100k-200k in your roll to stand the variance. especially if you live from your bankroll

I set aside 6 months of living expenses seperate from my roll. I won't give a specific roll amount, but it's not 100k or more, it's in the 5 figures

In case you find my words rude, I apologize. Based on the information I fetched from this thread, I understand that you are playing under rolled for a living in a hyper swingy game. 100 hours is no sample. even my graph on nearly 1k hours is just a swing

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom