Hemingway Label Project (1 Viewer)

Bad Toad

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I am looking to get some opinions and advice on my draft for a custom label. Whatta ya say?

Inspired my Hemingway's Cuba years of fishing, drinking and cigars. Cojimar was a small village where Hemingway often retreated.

Please pardon the "art work" IMG_20200822_003900963.jpg

I love it. I love the marlin. This would also be an opportunity for differentiation with different fish per denom as well. Not that I think it is needed or even better. Just a thought. Although I see you are already doing denom chip color matching. So that may be overkill.

PS: I just read an intestesting piece about the scientific importance of Hemingway and his fishing adventures around Florida last week: https://www.realclearhistory.com/articles/2020/08/26/a_short_hemingway_fish_story_575396.html

PPS: coincidentally I have a photo shoot at Hemingway’s home later this week.

For each denom you could have the fish be progressively decomposing. The final denom is just the skeleton of the fish and then add the line, "Is a shark" or whatever the ending of The Old Man and the Sea is...

Thank you for the suggestions/recommendations thus far. I like the idea of different fish but for another set. The Marlin is the prize catch for Hemingway. The denomination will go to simple black. Thanks Eloe200.

Maybe the Hemingway can get rotated off center to make more "fin room". That or just make the Marlin smaller. Thanks chicubs1988

Decomposing fish? I gotta say that is a bit weird. The marlin was attacked by sharks on the way back to the village. The Cuban was attempting to explain what happened to the great fish and the tourists just did not get it, Hemingway poking fun at ignorant, sun burned Americans. Sorry kaimat, that idea may not make the list.:unsure:

I was thinking of a sunset color combo for the background, or something like that as well.

Please keep the suggestions coming. I appreciate anything you can add, even the weird ones.

Thank you for the suggestions/recommendations thus far. I like the idea of different fish but for another set. The Marlin is the prize catch for Hemingway. The denomination will go to simple black. Thanks Eloe200.

Maybe the Hemingway can get rotated off center to make more "fin room". That or just make the Marlin smaller. Thanks chicubs1988

Decomposing fish? I gotta say that is a bit weird. The marlin was attacked by sharks on the way back to the village. The Cuban was attempting to explain what happened to the great fish and the tourists just did not get it, Hemingway poking fun at ignorant, sun burned Americans. Sorry kaimat, that idea may not make the list.:unsure:

I was thinking of a sunset color combo for the background, or something like that as well.

Please keep the suggestions coming. I appreciate anything you can add, even the weird ones.

Lol ok. I thought it was a really good idea.

Compliments appreciated!

As seems to be fashionable these days, Paulson solids will be the chips. I have not totally made up my mind on all the colors but close. If I could afford, a custom set would get made with progressively cool colors and spots. This is unfortunately not going to be done anytime soon. Slowly building chips, perfecting the label, and milling when possible is the plan for now. I am hoping to use these by November.

Keep any suggestions coming.

Would a relabeling be a possibility? Piecing together RHC chips from different sets to complete yours?

If I wasn't so picky that would open a lot more options. The THC mold and smaller center is my favorite.

Good choice ;)

BTW I was at Hemingway’s home today. If y’all don’t know, he had a family of 6 toed cats and to this day preservation society still maintain the family and lineage on the property. Here is one...

4FB5F51D-49A7-423C-8A8B-B4E8CC75AB5C.jpeg

I see the final version with white skeleton and lettering on black background, maybe an outer ring, on a solid black chip.

The fish in my sketch is a sailfish, oops. A few adjustments are needed.

I murdered some chips today with the new milling bit. The accuracy on a few can improve, but the green one was a starburst and came out perfectly. I toyed around with this about 5 years ago with mixed results at best. Taking what worked then and some advice from some of the community, these got done in a few minutes. Lighting and seating improved, I should get even better. There are only close to 600 to mill, so that should take me about.......Oh crap, not getting done tonight.
IMG_20200922_223755257.jpg

Looking for a little advice for another chip color to add. Maybe a $3 or $10 denomination.
Red .25
Blue $1
Grey $5
Yellow $20
IMG_20201215_140553960.jpg
Thoughts anyone?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom