Cash Game Help! Family game has grown too expensive. (1 Viewer)

I mean maybe buy in limits are not common, But a Buy in period It’s common everywhere. And for some reason a lot of the home games and home tournaments I’ve played in definitely had buy in limits to keep any big Money players from steamrolling the game.

I think the way the guys looked at it when we were playing a $20 Buy in game With two optional re-buys is that it was like a $60 game but you could get lucky only have to spend 20. Of course you would get The occasional begging for one more rebuy But overall it just let everybody know that it was 60 bucks with the most you could lose, it made everybody comfortable at that table

I remember playing at the game thinking this wasn’t enough money for me, I’d like to play I’ll be bigger than that, but I definitely follow the rules, I just didn’t show up as much and it didn’t keep my interest for very long, but it was a consistent game that went on for years and I would stop by and have fun to see my friends

I don't know if someone said this but have two games on different nights, maybe alternate weekends. This way they can play the stakes/game they like. I did this and it worked well. Players stopped complaining about the game when it was not the one they wanted. You may not have as may players every night but you will have more fun. More players will show up to both then you think.

I don't know if someone said this but have two games on different nights, maybe alternate weekends. This way they can play the stakes/game they like. I did this and it worked well. Players stopped complaining about the game when it was not the one they wanted. You may not have as may players every night but you will have more fun. More players will show up to both then you think.
I said that 2 pages ago.

Hey folks!

Quick update. We have been working with a $10 buyin and it seams to work decent so far. There are quite a few more rebuys than before, but overall the damage is trending downwards! We've tried a few tournaments, but it really is quite a drag to have 5+ people watching 3 duke it out so that just doesn't fit right for our group not that it is a bad idea obviously. This week we allowed. A lot of complaints and grumbling from the deeper pockets, but they get quieter and quieter every week.

Another thing that we used to do for some stupid reason was ante on Hold'em games instead of blinds. I think it was just the older crowd was used to it and it made it "easy". It's weird that for most of my group free cards are so much easier to fold when facing $0.10 than a 5 cent (ante) garbo hand is when facing $0.50

I said that 2 pages ago.

It came up organically as well to have a bigger game once in a while and we did just that this week. It was nice to call it the "big game" and dished out quarters and above to everybody. We played .25/.25 for holdem games and .25 antes for stud and draw games. The oldest guy that was having the most issues with it being expensive decided to opt out this week. It was fun and everyone that showed up knew what they were signing up for.

Last edited:
shit that guy may be me...

are there any good one table tournaments formats other than just a sit-n-go for 9h max?
Hey folks!

Quick update. We have been working with a $10 buyin and it seams to work decent so far. There are quite a few more rebuys than before, but overall the damage is trending downwards! We've tried a few tournaments, but it really is quite a drag to have 5+ people watching 3 duke it out so that just doesn't fit right for our group not that it is a bad idea obviously. This week we allowed. A lot of complaints and grumbling from the deeper pockets, but they get quieter and quieter every week.

Another thing that we used to do for some stupid reason was ante on Hold'em games instead of blinds. I think it was just the older crowd was used to it and it made it "easy". It's weird that for most of my group free cards are so much easier to fold when facing $0.10 than a 5 cent (ante) garbo hand is when facing $0.50

Your solution there is a double or nothing tournament. You can easily play 3 a night. Whatever you start with, you play down until half the people are eliminated and then you win double your money and start a new tournament. If you have an odd number, say 9, then 5th place gets his money back and 1-4 win double their money. Cuts down on the sit-out time a lot.

Also works great if you have more than 10 people, say 11-18. start the first game with the first 10 people to show and start a second tourney on another table as soon as there are 8 people waiting. Run 8 handed tourneys the rest of the night. No-one waits more than 30 min or so before being able to jump back into another game.

Best part is if you run say 3 $20 tourneys - if you cash in 1/3 then you will only be down $20 on the night and you got to play 3 tourneys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom