Hand Heads-Up In A Home Game (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Hero is playing his monthly hosted $40 home game NL Hold Em Tournament. Game had 9 players tonight and our one optional "1st bustout" rebuy.

ABOUT HERO:

Hero has gone deep in all hosted events, but has started cashing more frequently since the structure was changed to add more chips, a few extra levels and levels were increased from 15 to 20 minutes in length. Tournament generally lasts 5 or so hours. Hero won the last event with Villain coming in 2nd.

Hero is usually viewed as TAG, and Villain in the past has pushed him around a bit. However tonight Hero has shown a greater propensity for bluffing and shown many hands where Villain folded the winner.

When the game got down to four-handed play (the money bubble) Hero was the short stack with Villain the clear chip leader. Hero organized an arrangement to pay 4th place their buyin back, taking half the money from 2nd and 3rd and leaving 1st place untouched.

Hero entered heads-up play at a 2:1 chip disadvantage and Villain was generally controlling play, but Hero recently won an all-in pot by checking and allowing Villain to bet the 2nd best hand. Hero has not been as aggressive as Villain, but has called around 60% of Villains raises (Hero has been getting a LOT of 25, 93, etc. type holdings heads-up thus far) and has also raised about 70% of his own hands from the button to 75K.

ABOUT VILLIAN

Villain is a middle-aged math teacher. His style is a crafty LAG but he is capable of tightening up when necessary, and also taking advantage of others when they tighten up. Villain has cashed in every game he's played, and usually for 1st or 2nd place.

In heads-up play Villain has been relentless in raising preflop. With blinds at 15/30K he has been raising pre to anywhere between 90-125K. Villain has rarely folded to a pre-flop raise from Hero, but has usually only called most of them.

ABOUT THE HAND

Stacks are relatively even, at 1.5 million apiece due to Heros recent double-up. Blinds are 15/30K.

Hero is the dealer heads-up with a blind of 15K already in and looks down at :js::7h:. Hero ????

When the game got down to four-handed play (the money bubble) Hero was the short stack with Villain the clear chip leader. Hero organized an arrangement to pay 4th place their buyin back, taking half the money from 2nd and 3rd and leaving 1st place untouched.

------------------------------------

Would Hero do the same if he were in 2nd or 3rd place?

Yes. In the game last month hero was in 1st with 1 million, the 2nd guy had 700k and 3rd had 400k. Game had been running late and blinds were high. Guy in 3rd proposed a chop since he made day 2 of a tourney the next day and guy in 2nd proposed they each take $90 and i get $100 and i chopped it up

ABOUT THE HAND

Stacks are relatively even, at 1.5 million apiece due to Heros recent double-up. Blinds are 15/30K.

Hero is the dealer heads-up with a blind of 15K already in and looks down at :js::7h:. Hero raises to 75K

Villian reraises to 175K total. Villian hasn't done this yet tonight heads-up, but it's not uncommon for him to make plays to take control of the hand, since so many other players tend to call a flop or turn bet and then give up to his continued aggression. We must also consider villain is doing this OOP, but his reraise is small and thus not pot-commiting either.

Pot is now 250K and Hero must call 100K to continue, Hero ????

My general rule heads up is raise or fold, no limping because that helps define your hand if you raise the top third of the range, fold the bottom third and limp the middle third. So Hero should make his standard raise, what ever that is. This hand is near enough to the line that I could respect a fold too

Note this is a general rule. Hero can engage in "fancy plays" from time to time but I see no reason to do that now with J7o.

DrStrange

No shame in folding to the 3-bet here. Hero can't let happen often, but since it is the first three-bet this session I think Hero has to consider that the villain's range crushes J7o and that good position doesn't make up enough ground.

I fold

DrStrange

I'm inclined to call the 3-bet simply because it's the first time Villain has done so. Small price to pay to see what develops, and potentially gain info about Villain's play.... not to mention snapping off a top-tier Villain hand with the right flop.

PRE-FLOP

Hero is the dealer heads-up with a blind of 15K already in and looks down at :js::7h:. Hero raises to 75K

Villian reraises to 175K total. Villian hasn't done this yet tonight heads-up, but it's not uncommon for him to make plays to take control of the hand, since so many other players tend to call a flop or turn bet and then give up to his continued aggression. We must also consider villain is doing this OOP, but his reraise is small and thus not pot-commiting either.

Pot is now 250K and Hero calls 100K

FLOP

Pot is 350K, each player has roughly 1.3 million in chips remaining in their stack. Hero has the advantage of position, Villain the advantage of last aggressor. Flop comes:

:5s::6h::8s:

Villain bets 200K, Hero???

Jam and flip hand face up, hope to confuse villain.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. I know, no jokes in serious thread. As you were).

I would have folded pre (to the three bet) but you have an over, are open ended with a reasonably high spade. Ship it. Really what better flop could you ask for with J7?

PRE-FLOP

FLOP

Pot is 350K, each player has roughly 1.3 million in chips remaining in their stack. Hero has the advantage of position, Villain the advantage of last aggressor. Flop comes:

Villain bets 200K, Hero calls 200K

TURN

Turn card is the :7s: so the board now reads

:5s::6h::8s::7s:

Villain bets 400K. The pot is now 1,150,000. Hero and Villain were both relatively even so assume hero has 1.1 million at this point and Villain has 700K remaining in his stack after his 400K bet. Hero ????

PRE-FLOP

FLOP

TURN

Villain bets 400K. The pot is now 1,150,000. Hero and Villain were both relatively even so assume hero has 1.1 million at this point and Villain has 700K remaining in his stack after his 400K bet. Hero ????

If you're not going to flip your hand over, and flipping the table over isn't an option, I think you have to check-fold. That's one of the worst possible turns for your hand.

If you're not going to flip your hand over, and flipping the table over isn't an option, I think you have to check-fold. That's one of the worst possible turns for your hand.

What range are you assigning to villain at this point?

Should have shipped flop, with reasonable equity against almost anything. Now we have to make a gross fold - he probably doesn't love his hand, but probably isn't folding either and we're drawing slim almost regardless of what he has.

We have a pair and a flush draw heads-up against an aggressive villain. No one thinks he might be bluffing ever here?

Sure he could be bluffing, but even so might have the best hand, or if not then a ton of equity. Whatever range you want to give him (wide, narrow, or anywhere in between,) we're doing miserably against it.

I don't think he's 3-barreling at the FT of a tourney. Even I wouldn't do that, and I'm an idiot.

We're heads-up, the final two remaining, and he has a tendency to step on the gas until an opponent gives him a reason to let up

PRE-FLOP

FLOP

TURN

Villain bets 400K. The pot is now 1,150,000. Hero and Villain were both relatively even so assume hero has 1.1 million at this point and Villain has 700K remaining in his stack after his 400K bet. Hero shoves all-in, figuring Villain may have had a legit reraising hand preflop that might be hard-pressed given the wetness of this board to continue with it, we have a pair which is hard to make heads-up AND we've got the high spade in the hole as a fallback if we're beat. However, Villain calls.

Any guesses on Villains hand?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom