Freelance chip designers wanted! (1 Viewer)

AmbassadorGames

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We're working on new products for 2022, and exploring (technically) a variety of new chip styles beyond what we've been making in recent years. For these, we also want to explore more chip design options. We are interested to outsource this work to more experienced and knowledgeable chip designers, and I'm hoping we can find such a person here. Could be new CC designs (mould and labels), could be ceramics, could be both. Definitely we will want designs with more mass appeal, as these products will be for mass-market retailers; think Walmart/Target, Costco, toy stores (like Toys R Us and equivalents), department stores, etc. Also global appeal, as we sell products all over the world. We are looking at developing both a 'cash game' and a 'tourney' chip. Most likely we'll want a few chip designs for each which we can run by our key customers to gauge interest. Anyone both interested & with the right experience & abilities, please reach out!

Mark

Hopefully you designers can negotiate the standard PCF per chip payment for design work. Id be happy to negotiate on everyones behalf. I already gave @AmbassadorGames a nice warm welcome when they arrived, so Its only natural I continue to build on the rapport Ive already established. :cool
Hi - sorry I'm not sure I understand. Of course we would pay the designer for their work. What is this standard?

Hi - sorry I'm not sure I understand. Of course we would pay the designer for their work. What is this standard?
I wasn't suggesting you wouldn’t be paying designers so I apologise if that wasnt clear.

Its quite common around here that designers get remunerated based on the number of chips ordered when doing large orders. It helps distribute a transparent and consistent cost amongst multiple purchasers but also rewards them for creating designs that more people want to use. Its an allignment of outcomes really. Win Win. You selling more chips based on an amazing design they get to share in on that success for their creativity.

Hopefully you designers can negotiate the standard PCF per chip payment for design work. Id be happy to negotiate on everyones behalf. I already gave @AmbassadorGames a nice warm welcome when they arrived, so Its only natural I continue to build on the rapport Ive already established. :cool
What's your angle? I'm offended lol

I wasn't suggesting you wouldn’t be paying designers so I apologise if that wasnt clear.

Its quite common around here that designers get remunerated based on the number of chips ordered when doing large orders. It helps distribute a transparent and consistent cost amongst multiple purchasers but also rewards them for creating designs that more people want to use. Its an allignment of outcomes really. Win Win. You selling more chips based on an amazing design they get to share in on that success for their creativity.
Noted, thanks for the explanation. We'd be happy to negotiate something that works for both sides, and indeed rewards the designer if the chip is successful (as you say, win-win). In our business (board games) we work with alot of inventors and designers, so have alot of ways to structure deals depending on what fits the project best. Some want more up front guaranteed money, some willing to take less and get more on the back end. We are a bulk manufacturer supplying mass retail channels, so the expectation is we would sell millions of chips yearly if the product hits. But we also have serious cost constraints & pressures we work under to make sure we catch the right retail price points, so any royalties need to be tightly managed. All things we'll need to work out during any negotiations.

What's your angle? I'm offended lol
Go away Mike, cant you see the adults are talking? Isnt there a new watch to be bought?
Noted, thanks for the explanation. We'd be happy to negotiate something that works for both sides, and indeed rewards the designer if the chip is successful (as you say, win-win). In our business (board games) we work with alot of inventors and designers, so have alot of ways to structure deals depending on what fits the project best. Some want more up front guaranteed money, some willing to take less and get more on the back end. We are a bulk manufacturer supplying mass retail channels, so the expectation is we would sell millions of chips yearly if the product hits. But we also have serious cost constraints & pressures we work under to make sure we catch the right retail price points, so any royalties need to be tightly managed. All things we'll need to work out during any negotiations.
In all honesty, the most successful and well-received chips are a result of a small team of chippers working together and a single designer turning those ideas into digital designs ready for manufacturing. Since you are going to this effort you might want to consider the breakdown and the size of the sets so they fit a variety of stakes & tournament structures.

Go away Mike, cant you see the adults are talking? Isnt there a new watch to be bought?

In all honesty, the most successful and well-received chips are a result of a small team of chippers working together and a single designer turning those ideas into digital designs ready for manufacturing. Since you are going to this effort you might want to consider the breakdown and the size of the sets so they fit a variety of stakes & tournament structures.
Oh my bad, I'll leave you to your official pcf spokesperson duties ;)

Thanks for the tag @davislane .

Myself i've never designed CC (and especially molds). I've désigned labels or ceramics / hybrids.

Mainly recreating some famous chips (ACF, WSOP from various years, ...). I did also some original creations for me and others. @Dugthefish , @albatros63 , @BELGRADE can share some pics of sets I've designed for them. You can also see some in my signature.

However, I don't own an official business and don't intend to do it. So since here there are chips sold by a business, it'll probably be a no-go as he'll have to keep all his accounts with the providers, ...

Good luck with your project @AmbassadorGames !

Did anyone from PCF end up taking the gig? If so, are you able to share what made it to market for 2022?
No, we're still working on techical aspects of this, based on all the various chip structures we're considering. Covid outbreaks in China this year have slowed down most of our new products unfortunately. Still moving forward, but this will be a 2023 project now.

Feel free to send a PM. Portfolio available upon request or below

1653101992569.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom