Cash Game Fracs as workhorse? .50/2.50/10 (1 Viewer)

Venturalvn

Full House
Reaction score
There's a ton of conversation around here about how to minimize fracs on the table. That makes a lot of sense when most cash sets are broken down by frac/$1/$5/$25 default.

Sit at a $2/5 game and you'll get a rack of $5's for 100bb, or a rack and a stack (of $25) for 200bb.

Our game is .50/.50 with $100 buy in, which equates to the same as a 5/5. Is there any reason to not make a custom set out of $.50/2.50/10 other than the fact that it's not a normal denom breakdown? Maybe just because you can't easily move that breakdown to other blinds?

Has anyone done this before, and did it take with your crew?

I've seen a few post where they run a .5 / 2.5 / 10 but then a 25 is shit, try changing that out, you'll want to go with 50s, and 200 or a 250

There's a ton of conversation around here about how to minimize fracs on the table. That makes a lot of sense when most cash sets are broken down by frac/$1/$5/$25 default.

Sit at a $2/5 game and you'll get a rack of $5's for 100bb, or a rack and a stack (of $25) for 200bb.

Our game is .50/.50 with $100 buy in, which equates to the same as a 5/5. Is there any reason to not make a custom set out of $.50/2.50/10 other than the fact that it's not a normal denom breakdown? Maybe just because you can't easily move that breakdown to other blinds?

In my opinion:
If I would get in a $2/$5 game a rack of $5s it would kind of tilts me. A barrel of 5s would be appropriate. That excessive amount of chips can only be found on $5 chips but never on other denominations. Who would play a $1/$1 and hand out a rack of $1s. Who wants in a .025/0.25 game a rack of fracks.

I would prefer a barrel of the lowest chip and two barrels of the next higher chip denomination e.g. in a 0.25/0.50 game a barrel of fracs, two barrels of $1s and as many 5$s as needed.

1, 100, and 1000 are very natural units. Personally I wouldn't skip these for this reason.

I’ve done a funky breakdown custom set. It played fine, but my players just didn’t vibe with the low stakes and it always turned into a $1/$1 game somehow :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

IMG_6542.jpeg

I think ultimately it depends on your player pool as well. For a while we’ve been playing 20c/50c blinds with 10c/50c/$1/$5/$20 (i bought my set well before I became enlightened). Most of my players are just social players who wouldn’t even know how to spell poker, they’re just there for a good time.

They all like having lots of chips to play with and yes when you have to count stacks when they go AI, its a bit of a pain but other than that the game goes quite smoothly.

I think if I got a more efficient set like a 25c/$1/$5/$20, that would mean less starting chips per player and I don’t think they would be happy.

I have also been trying to get them to switch to 50c/50c as the game plays exactly the same but they were all not happy as it is “higher stakes” even though I don’t think I have ever seen a limped pot where the SB folded lol

In short, provided you have enough total bank and enough chips per player to make them feel like they have something to play with, I think you can go with any denom you want. Of course this is all within reason of course, the advice on here is pure gold, just know that you don’t have to follow the “rules” to a T.

I would consider using a $2 instead of $2.50 in this lineup. It will make pot math a bit easier on later streets. You will have a 4x and 5x step up within denominations either way, so might as well work will round numbers above your frac. Bonus reason: you can use them for $4/$8 limit circus games!

I would consider using a $2 instead of $2.50 in this lineup. It will make pot math a bit easier on later streets. You will have a 4x and 5x step up within denominations either way, so might as well work will round numbers above your frac. Bonus reason: you can use them for $4/$8 limit circus games!

Agree with this. People will have an easier time counting in $2 than $2.50, and 50c and $10 both fit in multiples of $2 just as well as $2.50.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom